Old 10-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #29
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I wonder how many cubs this tire has hit ?

tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Side wall tire damage. Tire at end of it's useful life for an ST tire. Not in the sun? Not being sarcastic but not sure how one tows a trailer and not have the tire in the sun. Is it covered at all campgrounds? If a tire is outside and not covered it's subjected to UV rays.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #31

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Running gear not properly balanced.

Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My personal opinion based on my experience in sunny New Mexico is tires age out before they suffer serious UV damage. If I'm wrong post some facts (not more opinions)
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
What does a professional tire engineer have to say about this topic (and others)?
RV Tire Safety: UV
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #34
soddy daisy , Tennessee
Back in 1971 I bought my first new vehicle, a Ford Econoline van. The van had multiple issues with "blisters" forming on the passenger side front tire. Within a short time another blister would form on yet another tire (8ply side walls). A short distance from the Ford dealership was a shop that specialized in bending axels. The axel would be chained down and a hydraulic jack would push up. A line of Fords would form before PeeWee's shop would open. One trip to PeeWee's shop solved my problem with tires blistering. The memories that photo brought back.
bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
What does a professional tire engineer have to say about this topic (and others)?
RV Tire Safety: UV
Good article. thanks for the facts.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
Fair Oaks , California
I had a similar budge develop on the front tire on my motorcycle once. A high quality Metzeler tire. Happened on a ride when the bike was carrying two plus our luggage and we had just ridden over Tioga Pass in Yosemite at nearly 10,000 feet elevation. I always suspected a combination of excess weight and extreme elevation as a possible cause. Fortunately, no blowout and we made it safely home where I replaced the tire immediately. The bulge on my tire was not as bad as on this one.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Seriously it looks like air leaked between layers of the tire, as a guess a manufacturing defect or weird damage. Another reminder to use better tires😞😞

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
Better yet, Airstream should just change to better tires
Xicaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #38
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
IMHO - that part of the tire is severely under-cured. Tires should not allow expansion of rubber to that degree.

For those who want a little more detail:

I like the following analogy: molecules of rubber are like spaghetti. If there is no cross-linking in the rubber, they behave just like well cooked, oiled spaghetti. They move like thick cream and there is no strength or rebound.

An elastic band is dried rubber with a little bit of cross linking. It's like spaghetti that wasn't well rinsed. It can be stretched and will recover its shape.

A tire should have a lot of cross-linking for much better strength. It is like spaghetti that wasn't rinsed and is strong and rigid.

Rubber chemists measure elongation and tensile strength. The more cross linking present, the lower the elongation and higher the tensile strength. The last thing you want in a tire is a stretchy (high elongation), weak (low tensile strength) cure in your rubber.

This points to very poor or missing quality control. This is rubber science, not rocket science.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #39
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ya' got to love the Airforums threads that are literally 100% speculation from people that do not have a clue as to what actually happened. 😜
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sometimes a SWAG* is all we have available in analyzing stuff that's unusual...

C'mon Chief, we were in the same Navy, so smart guessing is sometimes all you have....especially for the weird stuff....

*Scientific Wild Ass Guess

Rich, former First Class Petty officer of the line in the worlds second largest nuclear Navy...circa 967-1976😄😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #41
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Pure speculation but it reminds me of Cindy Crawfords mole......
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member
2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
Goiter is appropriate.

We replaced several Marathons on our dual axle boat trailer one year. Then, while returning from the Keys, we lost 2 more. We got lucky and bought the last of the needed size tire from the Okeechobee Wal-mart before they closed on a Saturday night (not Marathon!).

The first tire developed a small bubble heading down the Turnpike and was pointed out by a concerned truck driver about the time I noticed the fender bouncing. They don't ride smoothly with a bubble. We were able to change it. The second blew before we got too much farther. We had to put the bubbled tire (nothing like the bubble shown; just a raised lump) on to limp into town and by then the bubble had grown, similar to the one pictured. Goiter is really appropriate. Naturally the kids (and I) thought it was pretty funny, but from a distance and I had them move away further. Seconds later it blew. We drove to a more public area, unhitched the trailer, left my wife sitting on the leaning post under the T-top reading her book, and went in search of a tire late on a Saturday evening. More than a few people stopped and asked her how the fishing was.

The bubble shown looks similar to how our tires acted. I wouldn't feel too safe standing around looking at a goitered tire under any pressure. Anyone that's experienced tire failure will understand. It seems this was typical with Marathons at the time. The Goodyear dealer replaced all the tires (this after I had already had about 3 of the 5 replaced and lost another two on this trip) with Carlisle. Terrible tire but good customer service.

StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote