Old 12-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Oops! I meant to say core, like the valve core, if you get a speck of dirt in it or being very cold they stick open and leak, it has happened to me several times on my big trailer trying to air up a low tire in the dark and it being 14 degrees out, so I can leave the shop and get the truck to the tire shop..

the tireman...

Old 12-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #156
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
We returned from our trip to California from London last week. As I mentioned in an earlier post this was the first longer trip I had taken on Marathon's in a long time. Likely the first one since the change to Dexter axles.

I noticed that things move around much more in the Airstream than they do with the 15" Michelins I normally run. However I made it without a single tire problem. This was a 28' International so a fairly light trailer.

I ran them at 45PSI which is 5 PSI above the recommended pressure for the load they were carrying. Average speed was 70 MPH however the hottest days were in the Mid 70's. Tires were never warm. I did not hit any curbs but did do plenty of tight turns.

I thought maybe one might have a shifted belt explaining all the movement in the unit so we pulled them off yesterday and checked the balance and all 4 were fine. Maybe Marathons are getting better but I would still put Michelins on next time.

And check the weather before you head off across Highway 60 from Phoenix to Interstate 25. Turns out it goes to 8000 ft and there was a good snow storm up there. Wound up spending the night in Spencerville AZ. Not the end of the earth but you can see it from there.

Andrew T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0124 - Copy.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	254322  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
So you ran over the 65mph max for the tires? Or did I miss something?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #158
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Nice picture, Andrew. Reminds me of the time we got snowed into Aurora, CO last April!

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I've been snowed-in in Canada traveling from Buffalo, NY to Madawaska, ME. Had to get transmission replaced at 35,000 miles in Madawaska.
Very memorable trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:54 AM   #160
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
I should not have run over 65 but the 300 runs petty nice at 70 and with gas so cheap my self-discipline kind of goes out the window.

Andrew T

Old 12-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #161
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I understand, when the setup is right it's hard to not overdo it. Have a great trip, Florida is nice this time of year if you can swing this way. Top of ga AS park is open all year if you get near north ga. Have fun, enjoy the holidays.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #162
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We returned from our trip to California from London last week. As I mentioned in an earlier post this was the first longer trip I had taken on Marathon's in a long time. Likely the first one since the change to Dexter axles.

I noticed that things move around much more in the Airstream than they do with the 15" Michelins I normally run. However I made it without a single tire problem. This was a 28' International so a fairly light trailer.

I ran them at 45PSI which is 5 PSI above the recommended pressure for the load they were carrying. Average speed was 70 MPH however the hottest days were in the Mid 70's. Tires were never warm. I did not hit any curbs but did do plenty of tight turns.

I thought maybe one might have a shifted belt explaining all the movement in the unit so we pulled them off yesterday and checked the balance and all 4 were fine. Maybe Marathons are getting better but I would still put Michelins on next time.

And check the weather before you head off across Highway 60 from Phoenix to Interstate 25. Turns out it goes to 8000 ft and there was a good snow storm up there. Wound up spending the night in Spencerville AZ. Not the end of the earth but you can see it from there.

Andrew T

"Average" of 70 means some significant time above 70. So now that you have done irreparable damage to the belt structure will you remember that you made the decision to ignore the Max speed rating of your tires if you ever have belt area problems with the tires?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Those tires will fall apart anyway. I averaged 60 mph towing and had tread separation on Good Year Marathons within 3 years.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #164
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Sometimes you have to go above 65 mph to get away from traffic clusters or pass others. It happens. There should be enough confidence in your tires to be able to do that. But with the current ST's I guess they don't build in the extra margin of durability for that. Shame on those tire manufacturer's for poor quality products.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #165
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
"Average" of 70 means some significant time above 70. So now that you have done irreparable damage to the belt structure will you remember that you made the decision to ignore the Max speed rating of your tires if you ever have belt area problems with the tires?

From Albuquerque to Dayton we had a bit of a tail wind or no head wind so I had the cruise set at 75 for that stretch. Not that I recommend doing so, I have an extremely stable combination, the traffic was lite and I have 40 years and a few hundred thousand miles of towing experience. Even with that I should not have been towing that fast.

In theory the higher speeds are supposed to damage the tire due to heat build up which should not be an issue this time of year. However I have seen lots of damaged Marathons that never saw high speeds or high temperatures. For example plenty of square trailers are to hard to pull to get to high speeds. So that was why I was pleasantly surprised to see that this set has not gone out of balance during this trip.

So we either got lucky with this set or maybe they have improved their process and they are getting better? The first Marathons from the early 90's had far fewer defects so it may be more of a manufacturing issue than purely a design one.

Still don't care for the ride however and I would still recommend Michelins, 112 MPH speed rating on those.

Merry Christmas!

Andrew T

Old 12-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Comparing the incremental cost between the 15" GoodYear ST225/75R15D tire and the 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tire to the typical insurance deductible when there is a tire failure that tears the side out of the Airstream makes a convincing argument to consider the Michelin tires.

I have had GYM tire failures on my tandem motorcycle trailer and sure would not want that experience with an Airstream. Thus, we have Michelin tires on all vehicles including the Airstreams. Great piece of mind for me.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #167
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Those tires will fall apart anyway. I averaged 60 mph towing and had tread separation on Good Year Marathons within 3 years.

High speed, in itself is not the major problem. Heat either from long exposure to direct sunlight or extended high speed that generates excess heat, coupled with the Interply Shear force on the belts due to high loading ( less than 15% margin on max load0

And did GY cover you under their warranty?
And did you file a complaint with NHTSA? No complaints means no investigation. which means no possible recall and no improvement in tire quality.

As the saying goes "We have met then enemy and it is us?

But the condition as seen in the OP post #1 is not a belt separation or a "blowout"
Old 12-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #168
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
Sometimes you have to go above 65 mph to get away from traffic clusters or pass others. It happens. There should be enough confidence in your tires to be able to do that. But with the current ST's I guess they don't build in the extra margin of durability for that. Shame on those tire manufacturer's for poor quality products.
ST type tires are designed to meet regulations established when 55 was the max legal highway speed. RV companies know this yet they resist selecting tires with higher speed capability. It is not the tire mfg responsibility to select tires to be placed on a vehicle. It is well established that that decision is 100% the responsibility of the RV company.
It could be argued that it is the RV companies that are the ones doing the "mis-application"
Owners want low cost but are refusing to accept the trade-off in max speed capability to get the low cost they demand.