Old 12-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #141
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
and if the gauge is reading 5 or 10 psi high you will think you have more load capacity that you need so will be in fact overloading your tires.
Or if it reads low you are also in trouble. I was just pointing out that using the same gauge on dif tires will at least give a starting point to consider pressure increases or losses, regardless of the accuracy. We agree.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #142
Rivet Master

My two cents

Instead of looking for one cause of a problem, I consider that there could be contributing causes.

I've seen a " blister " like this before…on a pop up, with 13 inch tires. The pop up was very light, which enabled the tow vehicle to travel at 80mph with no problem ( I was going to say " without a hitch "…I opted not to ha ha ). So…the driver did just that…traveled at 80mph on 80 degree days. We considered that heat might be the cause. ( small wheels spin faster )

A race car builder, that I know, tried running his trailer tires at higher pressure , in an effort to obtain better gas mileage. What he obtained was two blowouts in 20 minutes.

Sorry if this isn't scientific enough, but, a little too much heat, a little too much speed, a little bit of over inflation due too the heat, a little damage or imperfection, a few years of deterioration, a tire that is stored on the sunny side …just a few of those could cause a problem.

To me, the " I have never had a problem with mine " statement, doesn't say much. But I have never had a problem with my " some other brand " tires. I don't travel in the heat of the day out of respect for my transmission. That might could be why my tires haven't blown out. Just talking…I am for sure not an engineer or mechanic.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #143
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
I see that Goodyear has added a speed letter "L" to all of their Marathon trailer tires. I wonder if that added speed restriction will equate to longer life for the marathons? Was a structural upgrade performed to up the speed restriction to 75 MPH? Maybe the tireman9 knows the answer???
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Probably another marketing claim by GoodYear for the ST tires. If they weigh the same as the existing tire, it does not take a rocket scientist to rework the mold with different numbers. While GoopdYear may have done some research, I would question the Chinese knockoffs getting any research other than changing the mold lettering.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I bought this one earlier this year. It's easy to use and has a large easy to read dial that glows in the dark (or so it says, never had to check the tire pressure in the dark.). While attached to the valve stem, if your pressure is too high, just press the button below the gauge to let some air out. Heavy duty hose, brass fitting, fits in my (large) glove box. 4.6/5 stars, 6 reviews, on Amazon.

Amazon.com: INT-360078 Intercomp Air Gauge 0-100 x 1 psi - 4" Glow-in-the-Dark Dial: Automotive

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Probably another marketing claim by GoodYear for the ST tires. If they weigh the same as the existing tire, it does not take a rocket scientist to rework the mold with different numbers. While GoopdYear may have done some research, I would question the Chinese knockoffs getting any research other than changing the mold lettering.
Better look again ,every marathon I have seen is made in China.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #147
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
I see that Goodyear has added a speed letter "L" to all of their Marathon trailer tires. I wonder if that added speed restriction will equate to longer life for the marathons? Was a structural upgrade performed to up the speed restriction to 75 MPH? Maybe the tireman9 knows the answer???

I would think that there were most likely some design changes. At this point tire engineers have a pretty good idea how to raise the speed rating (really more like handling performance improvement).

Without GY giving me a copy of before & after specification (ya like that's gonna happen) or having someone give me a couple of tires to cut up there is almost no way for me or CapriRacer to know for sure what GY might have done.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #148
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I am inclined to believe that the Marathons are made to GY specification, no matter the location of the plant. Now as far as no-name copies there is no real way to know for sure without spending a few thousand on tire testing.

There is a test lab about 9 miles from my house. Anyone got about $10k they want to contribute to the cause?
Old 12-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #149
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I bought this one earlier this year. It's easy to use and has a large easy to read dial that glows in the dark (or so it says, never had to check the tire pressure in the dark.). While attached to the valve stem, if your pressure is too high, just press the button below the gauge to let some air out. Heavy duty hose, brass fitting, fits in my (large) glove box. 4.6/5 stars, 6 reviews, on Amazon.

Amazon.com: INT-360078 Intercomp Air Gauge 0-100 x 1 psi - 4" Glow-in-the-Dark Dial: Automotive
Looks nice. Wonder when you find your cold tire pressure "too high". Maybe if you set the pressure in January in Denver then drove to Phoenix the pressure might go up 5 to 8% but since I suggest running the tire sidewall max for TT I doubt that situation will occur very often for many owners.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Looks nice. Wonder when you find your cold tire pressure "too high". Maybe if you set the pressure in January in Denver then drove to Phoenix the pressure might go up 5 to 8% but since I suggest running the tire sidewall max for TT I doubt that situation will occur very often for many owners.
The way I use that feature is to start checking pressure. If any of them are low I put more air in, usually above what I think it should be. Then I put the gauge on and start dropping until it's right on the money. No more check-pump-check-pump etc. Now it's check-pump-adjust as necessary.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 12-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
As many times as these tires gets the air pressure checked, the valve stems will be worn out in short order....
Old 12-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
As many times as these tires gets the air pressure checked, the valve stems will be worn out in short order....
You're kidding, right?
I have never had a valve stem wear out on me and I've been driving for a long time

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 12-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
No I am not kidding, I have replaced a lot of them, speck of dirt will do it....
Old 12-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #154
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
You're kidding, right?
I have never had a valve stem wear out on me and I've been driving for a long time
I tend to agree. Having been around test wheels for decades where the pressure may be checked multiple times a day and tires are on test 24/7/365 I do not recall seeing stems "wear out". Now maybe if those doing pressure checks have old & worn air chucks and were just jaming the chuck on the end of the stem you might create some wear but If the rubber snap-in stems are replaced whenever you replace tires as the rubber in the stems can age-out just like the tire then I guess anything is possible. Bolt in stems are normally brass or nickle plated brass with air chucks being plastic or brass so again wearing out valve stems is not a real concern or a good excuse for not checking air.
But in my blog post of Nov 30 I offer a suggestion to only use a hand gauge a couple times a year so valve were would never be a problem.