I'm in the , US
Woopsy! Posted in the wrong thread.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
"Andy - For the avoidance of doubt as they say, you are talking about this tire?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....TR5LTXMS2OWLXL"

Sorry I did not get back to this thread sooner. To answer your question, this is the tire we use on most Airstreams.

The Defender looks to be a slightly different tire, it weighs 2 pounds more on its spec. This can mean it is even more durable as there is more structure in it. Also though there is more unsprung weight though not very much.

Once they are available I will put a set on a high mileage unit to test but in the mean time it might be better to stay with the one that is proven.

Interesting we had a customer on the Newfoundland Caravan last summer. His Michelins were 4 or 5 years old on his 30' Classic with plenty of miles on them. He mentioned other tires were dropping like flies but not a problem with his.

Andrew T

I'm sorely tempted to dial up Tirerack and order up a set of these for my 2016 27 FC FB.

As a retired, risk averse Systems Engineer, I see the benefit of doing this sooner rather than later, at least before we get on the road for the big trip next spring.

My plan would be to get the four Michelins, and have them mounted and balanced with short metal stems on my 15" wheels here in Tampa. I'd replace the dual chrome lugs with the McGuard one piece nuts.

I just have to go look one more time at the weight specs of my trailer, in order to make sure I don't need to go to the 16" wheels. (I don't think so?).

All I need then is to ask Santa for a special xmas delivery.

If anyone sees a flaw in that plan, please let me know.

Much obliged for all the comments in the thread, as a newbie, I find it very interesting.

Rich

ďCharacter is doing the right thing when nobodyís looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing thatís right is to get by, and the only thing thatís wrong is to get caught.Ē - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #129
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
All the concern about the Load Index ov 108 vs 109 when in reality this translates to 3%.
How many are confident that their pressure gauge is accurate to better than 3%?
Have you confirmed the individual load on each tire is within 3% of a 50/50 side to side load balance or 3% axle to axle variation?
If not then why are you worrying about 3% more load capacity?
Old 12-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #130
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Speaking of tire pressure gauges, I'd love to know of a good one. I'm not actually happy with any of the gauges I've seen so far. Each one returns a different value for the same tire. Not happy. I want a gauge that's precise, accurate, and easy to use. I have yet to see one that fits all three requirements.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #131
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
All the concern about the Load Index ov 108 vs 109 when in reality this translates to 3%.
How many are confident that their pressure gauge is accurate to better than 3%?
Have you confirmed the individual load on each tire is within 3% of a 50/50 side to side load balance or 3% axle to axle variation?
If not then why are you worrying about 3% more load capacity?
If you use the same gauge for each tire, the difference will show. As far as the three percent goes, then why are we worrying about ten percent. If the gauge is inaccurate then it will have the same error for each tire, to be used for comparison.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:37 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I use this LongAcre racing products digital tire gage (0-125 psi) and these folks often have special sale prices on their units. It reads in 0.5 psi increments and is accurate to 0.5 psi or 0.3%. There are more elaborate models listed.

Longacre Pro Digital Tire Pressure Gauge 53028

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Speaking of tire pressure gauges, I'd love to know of a good one. I'm not actually happy with any of the gauges I've seen so far. Each one returns a different value for the same tire. Not happy. I want a gauge that's precise, accurate, and easy to use. I have yet to see one that fits all three requirements.
The last few years, I've been replacing my tire pressure gauges annually.

What I do is to write "January 2016" (for example) using a Sharpie on the body of the gauge. This gives me a reminder to get it replaced.

I've been looking over options for 2016, and I've had this one in my cart on Amazon, based on its features and good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5941-Di...cm_wl_huc_item

ďCharacter is doing the right thing when nobodyís looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing thatís right is to get by, and the only thing thatís wrong is to get caught.Ē - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
The last few years, I've been replacing my tire pressure gauges annually.[/url]
Please explain why? This practice seems wasteful. The digital unit you reference seems very accurate. I bought the two pack. One for my truck and one for my wife's car. I tested both together on the same tires and read identical, to 0.5 psi. They say the battery lasts 3 years.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #135
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Here is what I have used and recommended for years. Have tested them myself against ISO standard laboratory gauges and found them to be withing 0.5 psi.
An excellent tire pressure gauge
The Accutire MS-4021B digital tire pressure gauge has an easy-to-read LCD display that provides pressure readings from 5-150 PSI. Itís ergonomically designed with an angled head and a rubber-coated easy-grip handle. If you forget to turn off the gauge, don't worry, it will automatically shut off. The included lithium battery never needs to be recharged or replaced. And all this for about than $13! Learn more or order from Amazon.

Note. I do not work for or get a commission on any sales of the Accutire gauge.

I have also written on gauges a number of times on my blog. Simply check the list of labels

You don't have to spend $50 or $100 to get a good gauge.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Please explain why? This practice seems wasteful. The digital unit you reference seems very accurate. I bought the two pack. One for my truck and one for my wife's car. I tested both together on the same tires and read identical, to 0.5 psi. They say the battery lasts 3 years.
The same reason I switch out the battery on the smoke detectors annually.

I really don't want to be checking my tires in the middle of nowhere, and think, gee, I could have saved $10, but my gauge isn't working.

I forgot to add, I keep the old gauge around for the year, also, because "Two is one, one is none."

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #137
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
I use the Accutire and really like it. Glad to hear it is actually accurate. I find that the TPS system I use registers 2 psi less so I go by the Accurate.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I have the Accutire too. Also noticed the same 2 or 3 psi difference in the TPMS reading. Also still have Marathons, thus the extra diligence.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #139
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
If you use the same gauge for each tire, the difference will show. As far as the three percent goes, then why are we worrying about ten percent. If the gauge is inaccurate then it will have the same error for each tire, to be used for comparison.
and if the gauge is reading 5 or 10 psi high you will think you have more load capacity that you need so will be in fact overloading your tires.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #140
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
People seem to forget that TPMS is primarily to warn of a pressure loss and may not be accurate enough if you are within 3% of your tire load limits.

I would go with the PSI reading from the Accutire for knowing the pressure but rely on my TPMS for warning if there is a pressure loss.