Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
_

. , .
a 7 (almost 8) year old thread on balancing, wow, good dig.

the primary impediment to accurate balancing is in fact the wheel design.

almost all trailer wheels are lug centric.

did you ASK the shop guys if they had the adapter

or were really CAPABLE of performing a good balance job on trailer wheels?
________

((trying to decipher the tech commentary))

weights can and do fall off for a variety of reasons (tape or crimp style)

and might need to be applied to either lip on steel rims.

trailer TIRES roll or edge/shoulder a lot, especially backing up with multiple axles...

the TIRE ROLL could conceivably push a crimped weight off or loosen them.

this is wagn/speculation only.
_________

the alloy factory rims typically have ONLY inner lip weights, so even that's not perfect.

they are delivered to the factory PRE balanced,

though some older threads suggest NO balancing is done.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb379_2010 View Post
Dzn,
They have a full tire shop there. He truly believes it is unnecessary.

Andy, You're right about that. I just didn't feel like arguing with him. I'll take it to the tire shop and get them balanced before we hit the road. Heck I may even order a set of centramatics. But has anyone reported that their balance weights fall off due to the wheels flexing during turns? Sounds like bull to me.
First of all, trailer wheels are heavier and much stronger than auto wheels. If trailer wheel flex, I think you would need a micrometer to measure it. How many times has anyone heard of auto wheel weights falling off? If properly installed, about the only way they can come off is if the wheel rubs against a curb.

Weights that are installed with double sided tape, indeed can come off, if the wheel is not properly cleaned and/or if the tape simple gives up because it's very old. By the time the tape gets old, the tires should have already been replaced.

If your tire shop has a computer, have them look at the Centramatic video.

On the other hand, a good tire shop knows that balancing running gear is supposed to include the hub and drum. However, all to many shops cannot balance the hub and drum along with the tire and wheel as an assembly. Maybe that shop was too embarrassed to say "they can't do it".

The Centramatics are playing a huge part in solving the running gear balance dilemma, as they continue to keep everything balanced as the tire wears, avoiding the rebalancing issues.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb379_2010 View Post
Dzn,
They have a full tire shop there. He truly believes it is unnecessary.

Andy, You're right about that. I just didn't feel like arguing with him. I'll take it to the tire shop and get them balanced before we hit the road. Heck I may even order a set of centramatics. But has anyone reported that their balance weights fall off due to the wheels flexing during turns? Sounds like bull to me.
Any shop is limited by their own particular time (billable hours), talent, and tools. If any of the three are lacking, they probably will not perform a particular labor operation, for profitability reasons.
It may be, as 2Air says, they don't have adapters for lug centric balancing.

I have a very hard time believing the stresses of low speed maneuvering are any greater than the stresses of high speed cornering of steer wheels on a car or truck. Can wheel weights loosen and come off? Yes. Is it very common? No, if properly fastened, whether stick on or clamp on.

Dynamic balancing, (weights on the inside edge and outside edge) is best in a perfect world, but cast aluminum wheels are born much more uniform than stamped steel wheels, thus dynamic balancing is not as critical.

Most of the balancing needs of an aluminum wheel/tire setup is due to tire out-of -balance because of belt overlap, etc.

IMO, an AS tire/wheel should be balanced and I like the idea of Centramatics as an additional measure so any imbalance in rotor or drum and hub imbalance can be remedied without additional worries when rotating tires,etc.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
The wheels on my 1967 Tradewind are balanced and have been for about 5k miles. I have yet to fling a weight. We use Centramatics on the trucks ( 26k GVW & larger) where I work, they are a very usefull addition to the regular wheel balance. I intend to install them on my Airstream. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
I've gone 25k on my balanced wheels and not lost a weight. Lots of rough roads and turns in those miles. Just had to replace a couple tires and had them balanced as well. ~2Alaska
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
While not an Airstream, our 27-foot Bayliner cabin cruiser has triple axles; and the tires rollover so bad that the tires look like they are going to come off of the rims. The one saving grace is that when we make the tight U-turn on the boat ramp, the pavement is usually wet from other boaters pulling out of the water. However, when we pull the boat out of our backyard, the tires look like they are going to come off; and they leave skid marks all across our driveway. (Hey, maybe I should wet down our driveway before pulling out.) By the way, the trailer tires are balanced; and we have never lost a wheel weight. (FYI, the boat trailer has Green Ball, 225-75x15, LRE tires on it from Discount Tire.)

As an aside on Centramatics, I checked with our neighbors (long-haul truckers) on their experience with Centramatics on their big rig. They have been using these for years on their tractor; and while they say they can't tell a significant difference in road vibration, the main reason they continue to use them is longer tire wear. On the steering axle, they used to get 90-110,000 miles on their front tires; and with the Centramatics, they consistently get 185,000. And, on the drive wheels, they get 300,000 (with) versus 250,000 miles (without).

They said that they didn't know if Centramatics came in a smaller size to fit travel trailers (but we do, thanks to Andy). However, they strongly recommended checking to see if we could add them to our Tundra.

Andy, do they make Centramatics to fit 18-inch, TRD (alloy) wheels on a 2008 Tundra CrewMax? Have you sold any for this application?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #27
_

. , .
centramatic was serving truckers, rv'rs and passenger trucks for many years b4 any vendor here started stocking them.

and 14 inch sizes are NOT unique or new just for smaller/vintage streams.

go to the c' web site

http://www.centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Balancers

or guugle to one of their LARGE redistributors that have search tools, like this...

Centramatic Wheel Balancers - Free Shipping on Centramatic Dynamic Wheel Balancers

they make 'em for 4-3-2 and 1 ton dually trucks, 3/4, half ton, jeeps, SUVs, motor bikes and motorhomes...

they also sell a few models that are drilled to fit a variety of bolt patterns.

IF u want black (or pink), paint them just like many of the vendors (and customers) do.

they can be ordered directly from C or dozens of rv/truck supply shops.

i think u can even drive to teXas and git'em at the factory.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Putting marbles in your tires is a lot cheaper.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
While not an Airstream, our 27-foot Bayliner cabin cruiser has triple axles; and the tires rollover so bad that the tires look like they are going to come off of the rims. The one saving grace is that when we make the tight U-turn on the boat ramp, the pavement is usually wet from other boaters pulling out of the water. However, when we pull the boat out of our backyard, the tires look like they are going to come off; and they leave skid marks all across our driveway. (Hey, maybe I should wet down our driveway before pulling out.) By the way, the trailer tires are balanced; and we have never lost a wheel weight. (FYI, the boat trailer has Green Ball, 225-75x15, LRE tires on it from Discount Tire.)

As an aside on Centramatics, I checked with our neighbors (long-haul truckers) on their experience with Centramatics on their big rig. They have been using these for years on their tractor; and while they say they can't tell a significant difference in road vibration, the main reason they continue to use them is longer tire wear. On the steering axle, they used to get 90-110,000 miles on their front tires; and with the Centramatics, they consistently get 185,000. And, on the drive wheels, they get 300,000 (with) versus 250,000 miles (without).

They said that they didn't know if Centramatics came in a smaller size to fit travel trailers (but we do, thanks to Andy). However, they strongly recommended checking to see if we could add them to our Tundra.

Andy, do they make Centramatics to fit 18-inch, TRD (alloy) wheels on a 2008 Tundra CrewMax? Have you sold any for this application?
What is the lug pattern and is there at least a 10 inch flat spot on the back side of the wheel?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Andy, I have some other questions for you, too, so will respond by private message. Thanks --Phoenix
Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Discount Tire did it for us....

They Balanced & Rotated all 5 Tires (4 + 1 Spare) for $70 Life-Time Fee... Next Oil Change--- I will get all tires on my Rig + SUV changed for free... In my opinion--- this is a stress free way of making sure everyone is safe....

Photo= http://www.flickr.com/photos/82335303@N04/7543762562/

See ya down the road friends...

T
towagaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAGWAGONTWO View Post

They Balanced & Rotated all 5 Tires (4 + 1 Spare) for $70 Life-Time Fee... Next Oil Change--- I will get all tires on my Rig + SUV changed for free... In my opinion--- this is a stress free way of making sure everyone is safe....

Photo= IMG_1354 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

See ya down the road friends...

T
Hopefully it is just the way the picture looks to me, however it appears that the jack is on one of the axles. I have read here that placing the jack on the axle is not recommended due to possible damage to the axle.

Am I just looking at it incorrectly?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Andy is correct. High cycle fatique is a well know fact with aluminum. This is why occasionally the roof blows off a plane. Usually the rivets go first and then other stuff. I have some loose interior rivets but don't seem to have any major structural damage. I plan on getting some Centramatics at some point. I did get my tires balance but they did not want to. Tires will wear and cup if not properly balanced.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Anyone that claims tires don't need to be balanced on an Airstream trailer, very obviously knows "zero" about the characteristics and/or how an Airstream behaves when subjected to vibrations.

Andy
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

@Ken---- Jacks are on both Axles-- same time; I have never heard jacking any RV, Trailer or Vehicle is bad for them... Not in my 60's yet, but I would be surprised to find anything in writing (e.g. opinion free) stating otherwise... Hoping a few Seasoned folks see this post, and point us to documentation stating one way or the other...

Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one...

T
towagaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAGWAGONTWO View Post
@Ken---- Jacks are on both Axles-- same time; I have never heard jacking any RV, Trailer or Vehicle is bad for them... Not in my 60's yet, but I would be surprised to find anything in writing (e.g. opinion free) stating otherwise... Hoping a few Seasoned folks see this post, and point us to documentation stating one way or the other...

Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one...

T
I'm not going to do the research now, but I think one of the opinions came from my Dexter axle manual.

In any case it has been discussed a lot here, so I sure someone who knows more about it will chime in.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Quote below is from Dexter Axle FAQ Web page:

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - FAQ'S

=============

Is it okay to jack up my trailer?

Dexter recommends that you do not jack up the trailer on the suspension components because there is always the potential for damage. Bent hangers, leaf springs, or axle tubes can cause bad axle alignment with bad tire wear resulting. Also, many trailer builders do not use Dexter hangers and we have no idea how strong these hangers may or may not be. Therefore, we take the conservative approach and recommend jacking up only on the trailer frame.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #37
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream builds the trailer with a plate to be used for lifting the trailer off the ground. That plate is typically located behind the axle(s).

Lifting the trailer by the axle tube is not recommended and couold cause damage to the axle tube, either in alignment or by crushing the tube with the rubbertorsion rods inside. The length of the rod determines how much weight the axle will handle. Shortening this by deforming the axle tube will diminish the weight load the axle will handle.

Read the owner's manual or if available the shop manual.

>>>>>>>>>Action