Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
Warning

We've had a very enjoyable cross-country trip- going to Banff and Jasper Nat'l Parks and Whistler Mountain in Canada. Then on to the Olympic Peninsula, Washington and have been meandering our way back to Massachusetts from there. Last night we stopped for dinner in Sandusky, Ohio and then got back on the turnpike. After a few minutes on the highway we heard a loud noise, and it felt like the Airstream had come unhitched. Pulled over, and the tired was shredded. Changed it (breaking the jack in the process) and made it to the next rest area where we discovered that the other tire had been slashed, and we think that the tire that blew out also had been slashed, as we'd been checking the tires regularly for air pressure.

The good news is, we were near a tire place, so got 2 fresh tires, which we were planning to get anyway after the trip, and are now continuing on our way. Also, we were very happy with how the Airstream handled during the crisis- no fishtailing, and it was good just to experience it at highway speed, as it's been one of my concerns. Am posting a few pics of the tire and slash.

Just wanted to post this so that if you're in that area, you might want to be careful. It's been fun to see lots of fellow Airstreamers on the road as we've traveled. Happy trails to you all!

Triple M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN26750749.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	111674   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN26770751.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	111675  

Triple M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Wow that is total disintegration, how did the trailer underside and wheel well do? Timing of stopping and restart, was the trailer out of sight and in somebodies way?
Looks like dry rot to me, but maybe only the way the picture looks. How old were the tires, more important than wear.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
The tires were in good shape and not too old. The trailer was out of the way, in the parking lot of a closed store. There was some minor damage to the wheel well, that I can probably fix myself. Thanks for your post!
Triple M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
The tires were in good shape and not too old. The trailer was out of the way, in the parking lot of a closed store. There was some minor damage to the wheel well, that I can probably fix myself. Thanks for your post!
It would seem to me to be very difficult to slash a tire like that with a knife without going all the way through the sidewall, especially doing it twice on two tires. Could it have been pinched against a curb or rock or some kind of trash on the highway?

Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I dont think Sandusky Had anything to do with it. Kinda looks like DryRot crack to me. If ya have the old carcasses left, read the DOT numbers on the sidewall and find out just how old those tires were. I know that someone here that can cypher those code numbers for you.
HOPE everything comes out ok for you.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
That cut could have happened when the first tire came apart, and wire from a belt was flailing around, then cut the next tire. Remember, as the back of one tire goes down the front of the next tire goes up, so the speed the tires pass each other is 2x the speed you're traveling.

A 120-140mph piece of wire could easily have done that.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
_

. , .
it's a single axle trailer,

so it would take one hellaciously long wire to reach across and cut the opposite OUTER sidewall.

maybe he was chariot racin' and get cut with one of those knifey wheel hubs...
_________

the tires at the very MOST are 5-6 years old.

the OP thinks they've been cut and posted a fuzzy pic...

it is what it is...vandals exist.

it is sorta FUN 2 second guess photos sometimes,

especially if the 2nd guessin is FUNNY.

but here's a guy just posting a 'head up, stuff can happen' note, and without anger.

i found a wood finish nail driven into the sidewall of a brand new tire,

in about the same location (idaho) during a routine inspection.

tire had full pressure till i pulled the nail out.

it had been finely SHARPENED by someone and simply stuck into the tire.

and i'm pretty sure the maniac who did it was from sandusky...
_______

THANKS for the report triple' and taking the time to post pics...

very nice to read YOU and the trailer handled this so well,

and so near the end of an epic adventure.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Hmm, yep, single axle. My bad - my thought does not apply to this...
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
2air - Idaho and Ohio are about the same location??

Tripple M - yah, vandals are all over the place. I had a tire slashed on my week old 05 Mustang. Jealously I guess. Glad you were close to a tire place and it all worked out ok. Did insurance cover the tires at all?

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Triple M - I am glad you didn't surprise the nutcase when he had his box cutter out!

One Friday evening walked into a Goodyear dealer to ask some questions and ended up purchased a Road Hazard policy for my five-week old Z-28's 155mph rated tires... The following Monday I walked out to my works parking lot during morning break and found a three-inch sheetrock screw drilled in the sidewall nearer the rim than the tread - and quietly visited a Goodyear dealer at lunch and had the $170 tire replaced effectively for $17.

There are bent people everywhere.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If you do find you can't do the repair to the wheel well it would be time to call your insurance agent, with good pictures and available tire it should pay more than your deductible. Trailer damage would be covered either way.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Unhappy Road Debris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
It would seem to me to be very difficult to slash a tire like that with a knife without going all the way through the sidewall, especially doing it twice on two tires. Could it have been pinched against a curb or rock or some kind of trash on the highway?

Dan

One rainey night coming home from work I heard a clink and immediately my right rear tire went flat (2 year old car). When I stopped a couple hundred feet on a side street I found the same size slit you had in my sidewall so I walked back with a flashlight and found a sharp piece of metal (4") was the perpatrator. I had the same thing happen on a Goldwing I was riding and the front wheel set up the metal scrap just right to skewer the rear tire neatly with a 3" cut shooshhhh and my heart stopped for a couple beats. 3 tire plugs later and I rode back home.

Dry rot is rarely the culprit.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Friends: Some tire-changing facts learned the hard way this weekend: 1.) Get rid of 12-point sockets in favor of six-point sockets so you don't round over the lug nuts. 2.) Before your next trip, loosen each lug and re-tighten to the correct torque. 3.) A breaker bar doesn't give you much more torque than a spanner wrench. So try to put the breaker bar handle in the spanner wrench for more torque. (Shouldn't be necessary if your lugs are correctly torqued.) 4.) Make sure you have high-pressure valve stems. Best wishes, John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basswood, Sept. '10 026.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	111754  
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
get an impact socket. i've split a few chrome ones.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Jackson , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
Friends: Some tire-changing facts learned the hard way this weekend: 1.) Get rid of 12-point sockets in favor of six-point sockets so you don't round over the lug nuts. 2.) Before your next trip, loosen each lug and re-tighten to the correct torque. 3.) A breaker bar doesn't give you much more torque than a spanner wrench. So try to put the breaker bar handle in the spanner wrench for more torque. (Shouldn't be necessary if your lugs are correctly torqued.) 4.) Make sure you have high-pressure valve stems. Best wishes, John
Good advice. Don't only make sure you have high pressure valve stems, check the joints/edges of the valve stems to make sure they are healthy. The valve stem is often the culprit to a leaky tire.
streamair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Jackson , Wisconsin
That certainly is not a dry-rot crack. If it were, it would be accompanied by other dry-rot cracks around it.
streamair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Destroyed tire looks a lot like my GYM tread separation - Hmm?

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Seeing that shredded tire pic gave me the heebie-jeebies... bad memories... good reason to have a TPMS

Ditto on the trailer performance... almost didn't even realize there was a problem... 'cept when I glanced in the mirror, and saw nuggets flinging off from the side of the trailer...
Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What kind of hitch are you using? As a single-axle owner myself, a blown tire is a big concern of mine. Glad to hear your rig handled it so well.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote