Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Vintage Tire Carrier On Tongue

Does anybody know if someone sells something similar to the original tire carrier, for a 63 Airstream, which would sit on the tongue behind the propane tanks? I am trying to avoid a underbelly carrier.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I've found there's not really a need for it. I just place the spare resting on the frame behind the tanks and go with it. In ten years, never had a problem and since it's fits tight it will never come out. I guess if you're the type that feels there should be a lock then thats a little different. My feeling, if someone steals it, they must have needed more than I do.

Enjoy,
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
I've found there's not really a need for it. I just place the spare resting on the frame behind the tanks and go with it. In ten years, never had a problem and since it's fits tight it will never come out. I guess if you're the type that feels there should be a lock then thats a little different. My feeling, if someone steals it, they must have needed more than I do.

Enjoy,
I do the same on my 61 except I have a ratchet type cargo strap holding it in place. I had to move my tanks forward to make enough room.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
We are currently working on getting enough interest to get started with a continental tire kit (with plans for a mount). See the link in my signature and this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ers-78734.html

If you are interested please let Brad (Bredlo) know!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
63 spare

There were a couple pieces welded onto the A frame of mine. The tire just sets in there and I put a bungee cord on it. I do use a plastic and chrome tire cover off the back of a van to make it look nicer.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Spare Tire Rack

I am currently working on a spare mount for my '67 Safari. I have acquired the spare tire bracket from the rear door of a 2003 Izuzu Trooper. It just happened the one I found at a local 'you pull it' junkyard was silver so the plastic cover is already the right color. I removed the chromed plastic Trooper lettering. By re-locating the small plastic hanger on the face of the mount the wheel/tire hangs on the mount correctly and the mounting holes line up perfectly for the rim bolts that secure the rim to the mount. I haven't yet decided whether to build a steel bracket and attach it to the A-frame and then attach the Trooper mount to this or attach the mount thru the front panel skin and weld a steel plate behind the outer skin to the already installed stiffner plate at the frame where the front body panel is attached. This later option would require a gasket to insulate the steel from the aluminum skin on both sides. The spare tire would hang and almost touch the A-frame and would require the propane bottle holder to be moved forward for clearance in removing the wheel from the mount. What do you think of this idea? Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:

Enjoy,
Ditto that. On my Argosy, It fits perfectly, and is held in place by friction from the gas tanks and the front metal of the Argosy. Of course the front is a painted surface and thus it not really prone to damage from the very slight rubbing that takes place. I have a vinyl cover over the tire.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:

Enjoy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
There were a couple pieces welded onto the A frame of mine. The tire just sets in there and I put a bungee cord on it. I do use a plastic and chrome tire cover off the back of a van to make it look nicer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Ditto that. On my Argosy, It fits perfectly, and is held in place by friction from the gas tanks and the front metal of the Argosy. Of course the front is a painted surface and thus it not really prone to damage from the very slight rubbing that takes place. I have a vinyl cover over the tire.
ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto...

Temporarily started using two bungee's around the tanks...for 18 Seasons.

Bob