Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
Dover , Delaware
Very strange tire wear

I'm fairly new to posting. Have been member for several years & done a lot of lurking.

First: Trailer info. '86 Excella 32'

Just returned from 3 week trip & thinking about going south for a while during winter. Knew I would need tires prior to going - primarily due to age (6 yr) When checking tires found some severe wear on right front tire. At least 2 spots clear down to belt. These are on inside of tire & that tire seems to have more wear than other 3. I'm suspecting a brake hanging up. First thought of balance but these are almost flat spots & not sure balance would be that bad. I always have all tires balanced. On that same tire I have a wheel cover which continues to spin enough to pull the stem sideways. Has always been a problem. I do keep a pretty good check on pressure.I'm considering new wheels (to get away from the spinning wheel cover) along with tires & may go to LRE rated.

Will definitely have brake job & seals packed. How do you know when shocks need replacement?

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

RB
rbhinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Just a thought, Could there be an alignment problem with that axel and the tire is hopping at that position?

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
Dover , Delaware
Just talked with a/s friend who suggested it might be a shock. He had a somewhat similar problem & found a bad shock. I haven't checked that.
Thanks.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhinzman View Post
I'm fairly new to posting. Have been member for several years & done a lot of lurking.

First: Trailer info. '86 Excella 32'

Just returned from 3 week trip & thinking about going south for a while during winter. Knew I would need tires prior to going - primarily due to age (6 yr) When checking tires found some severe wear on right front tire. At least 2 spots clear down to belt. These are on inside of tire & that tire seems to have more wear than other 3. I'm suspecting a brake hanging up. First thought of balance but these are almost flat spots & not sure balance would be that bad. I always have all tires balanced. On that same tire I have a wheel cover which continues to spin enough to pull the stem sideways. Has always been a problem. I do keep a pretty good check on pressure.I'm considering new wheels (to get away from the spinning wheel cover) along with tires & may go to LRE rated.

Will definitely have brake job & seals packed. How do you know when shocks need replacement?

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

RB
You have described a "HUGE" out of balance issue.

The tire, wheel and hub and drum "MUST" be balanced as an assembly.

If that shock was that bad, it would be wet on the outside from the oil.

Most owners at this point are installing a automatic wheel balancers, such as Centramatics.

You could also perhaps have bad rubber rods in the axle.

Torsion axles, when frequently used, last about 30 years.

However, if the trailer was parked for an extended period of time, like 3 to 4 years, without being used, then the life of a torsion axle can be as little as 3 to 4 years, because the rubber rods would have solidified.

Rubber must be exercised to stay alive.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Check both alignment and balance. You will find one or both at fault.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I'd be willing to wager that tire has seperated. That's what the ST tires do, and that's what they look like if you catch them after they've been run a while and before they come apart. You are lucky.

Be aware of those trying to sell you things, but if your shocks are original, they are most likely bad.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I'd be willing to wager that tire has seperated. That's what the ST tires do, and that's what they look like if you catch them after they've been run a while and before they come apart. You are lucky.

Be aware of those trying to sell you things, but if your shocks are original, they are most likely bad.
Also be aware of those that that share opinions, instead of facts.

Andy
Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
Dover , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You have described a "HUGE" out of balance issue.

The tire, wheel and hub and drum "MUST" be balanced as an assembly.

If that shock was that bad, it would be wet on the outside from the oil.

Most owners at this point are installing a automatic wheel balancers, such as Centramatics.

You could also perhaps have bad rubber rods in the axle.

Torsion axles, when frequently used, last about 30 years.

However, if the trailer was parked for an extended period of time, like 3 to 4 years, without being used, then the life of a torsion axle can be as little as 3 to 4 years, because the rubber rods would have solidified.

Rubber must be exercised to stay alive.

Andy
Thanks for reply.

I was able to get out & check further today - finally not raining. Don't see any wetness from fluid & can't distinguish any stains from the same. Most of the tire wear as I said is on inside but in some spots a lot worse. Read your article & checked the torsion arms. They appear to be just about horizontal. I'm suspecting axle problems. Trailer has never set for more than a year. Usually get out 2 or 3 times per year. If I do have to change axles do you also advise new shocks, brakes, etc?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for reply.

I was able to get out & check further today - finally not raining. Don't see any wetness from fluid & can't distinguish any stains from the same. Most of the tire wear as I said is on inside but in some spots a lot worse. Read your article & checked the torsion arms. They appear to be just about horizontal. I'm suspecting axle problems. Trailer has never set for more than a year. Usually get out 2 or 3 times per year. If I do have to change axles do you also advise new shocks, brakes, etc?
If your brakes have round magnets, then be advised that some of those brake parts are no longer available.

The current style electric brakes have used oval magnets for many years at this point.

Your hub and drums, if I remeber correctly, are 2 piece. If so, they are notorious for being out of balance.

If what you have is as described then getting new axles complete with brakes and hub and drums, etc.

New style hub and drums are "unicast" and then machined. They are still noy perfectly balanced, but close to it.

What many owners are doing today, when they change out complete axles, is adding automatic balancing systems, such as the centramatics.

Should you decide to change the axles, it would be a good idea to increase the capacity as well.

Of course, replace the shocks, when ever you change the axles.

Andy
Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Also be aware of those that that share opinions, instead of facts.

Andy
Yes, rbhinzman, please understand that whenever Andy writes anything here, it is fact.

Whenever anyone else writes anything here, it is OPINION.

Even though Andy doesn't even own a trailer now, or tow one. He just sells parts, and hitches.

Please let us know what the tire shop says about the tire with unusual wear.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Andy ain't selling the guy something, is he? The OP can buy what he wants from wherever he wants.

I'd say that a fairly heavy quarter-century old trailer could use the suspension being freshened up, even replaced. Leaf spring or torsion, they all need to be gone through as time and/or miles take their toll.

And if I'd been in the supply/repair business for several decades I would -- as would you -- have some fairly strong opinions about the best bang for the buck, much of which is comprised of do it once, and do it right so that the customer can go on down the road with no problems from that set of components. No comebacks, as they say in the business.

And it isn't about a minor problem. Think the tire shop has a few dozen Airstreams rolling through every year?

That this is a 25-year old trailer obtained at a low price, and possibly without major repairs involved, thus re-doing the suspension/brakes/tires/wheels whatever is nothing in comparison to their failure. A normal cost. And done at the time of the customers choosing. Not while on the road.

That Andy likes to word it one way or another is just his way.

As to the "problem" it would appear that alignment is an issue. And balance. And -- since the components are ancient -- replacing them (even more than is suggested above) -- would be high on the list for anyone conversant with old vehicles of any type. Why take a chance?

Andys advice has nothing to do with it. It's simple prudence. His is one more voice, and based on more repairs than any of us will ever see. But is consistent with the care of any old vehicle.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Andy ain't selling the guy something, is he? The OP can buy what he wants from wherever he wants.

I'd say that a fairly heavy quarter-century old trailer could use the suspension being freshened up, even replaced. Leaf spring or torsion, they all need to be gone through as time and/or miles take their toll.

And if I'd been in the supply/repair business for several decades I would -- as would you -- have some fairly strong opinions about the best bang for the buck, much of which is comprised of do it once, and do it right so that the customer can go on down the road with no problems from that set of components. No comebacks, as they say in the business.

And it isn't about a minor problem. Think the tire shop has a few dozen Airstreams rolling through every year?

That this is a 25-year old trailer obtained at a low price, and possibly without major repairs involved, thus re-doing the suspension/brakes/tires/wheels whatever is nothing in comparison to their failure. A normal cost. And done at the time of the customers choosing. Not while on the road.

That Andy likes to word it one way or another is just his way.

As to the "problem" it would appear that alignment is an issue. And balance. And -- since the components are ancient -- replacing them (even more than is suggested above) -- would be high on the list for anyone conversant with old vehicles of any type. Why take a chance?

Andys advice has nothing to do with it. It's simple prudence. His is one more voice, and based on more repairs than any of us will ever see. But is consistent with the care of any old vehicle.

Rednax,

Never in any of my posts in this thread did I ever say to the original poster, who asked a question about unusual tire wear, anything about not replacing suspension items. In fact, I told him he should replace at least the shocks if they are original.

However, keeping in mind the OP's question was about a tire with unusual wear, he himself saying he was intending to service the brake and bearings, possibly replace wheels, and then Andy starts trying to sell him centramatics, without even knowing for a fact what is wrong that caused the tire to wear unusually.

It's a fact that ST tires seperate, it's all over these forums, and I've seen it on lots of ST tires myself. It's also a fact that seperated tires wear rapidly and unusually right up to the point where they throw all the tread off and do lots of damage to the trailer, again usually.

It was Andy who jumped on me for just insinuating to the OP he should be aware of what people try to sell him to fix all of his "unusual" tire wear problems, without even knowing for sure what caused the wear.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Rednax,

It was Andy who jumped on me for just insinuating to the OP he should be aware of what people try to sell him to fix all of his "unusual" tire wear problems, without even knowing for sure what caused the wear.
Perhaps I have experience with that issue, and therefore can be a little more affirmative.

That is for me to know, and for others to accept, or not. Their choice, as always.

I really don't find that negativity has any useful purpose in this Forums, towards trying to help others.

Andy
Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
checked the torsion arms. They appear to be just about horizontal. I'm suspecting axle problems. Trailer has never set for more than a year. Usually get out 2 or 3 times per year.
Just an FYI, ALL OEM Airstream axles are almost completely horizontal from the factory. That's the way they are designed. If you don't believe me, I'll be happy to crawl under a dozen of them, take photos, and post them here. I really don't think all those 2011 and 2012 Airstreams have bad axles.
To check the axle, you need to jack up the trailer, and watch to see how far the wheel assemblies drop when weight comes off them.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Perhaps I have experience with that issue, and therefore can be a little more affirmative.

That is for me to know, and for others to accept, or not. Their choice, as always.

I really don't find that negativity has any useful purpose in this Forums, towards trying to help others.

Andy
Or, perhaps, and as usual, your response to anyone's problem on this board is to try and sell them something.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #16

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

We think enough has been said about motive, opinion, and experience. Let's ease up on each other and get back to addressing the OP's issue please.

On behalf of the site team,

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
Dover , Delaware
Kevin,

Thanks for trying to turn down the heat!! I'm rather surprised at how much vitriol I raised by just being a guy who had a problem & needed some help with solutions. I appreciate the answers & apparently there was more than one correct. I expected to have more than one suggestion. I had considered more than one before posting. BTW, I'm not a new owner. Have had trailers since 1976 & a/s since '91. Have had this unit since '99. Also not bashful about picking brains. That's how I solve most of the problems like this so I do appreciate you all.

I did make a trip to a local tire shop which deals with a lot of heavy stuff as well as passenger cars & trailers. The tech I spoke with has had experience in making this type of repair. I provided him several of the answers received here & from other sources. After considering all that I provided he quickly came to the conclusion that due to age & weight of unit that the axles should be replaced.

Andy, you suggested increasing capacity if I change axles. Are you referring to a heavier axle or higher rated wheels & tires. When I was browsing sites I only found one axle option.

Thanks again to all who replied. Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. I really do appreciate all who offered help.

RB
Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Kevin,

Thanks for trying to turn down the heat!! I'm rather surprised at how much vitriol I raised by just being a guy who had a problem & needed some help with solutions. I appreciate the answers & apparently there was more than one correct. I expected to have more than one suggestion. I had considered more than one before posting. BTW, I'm not a new owner. Have had trailers since 1976 & a/s since '91. Have had this unit since '99. Also not bashful about picking brains. That's how I solve most of the problems like this so I do appreciate you all.

I did make a trip to a local tire shop which deals with a lot of heavy stuff as well as passenger cars & trailers. The tech I spoke with has had experience in making this type of repair. I provided him several of the answers received here & from other sources. After considering all that I provided he quickly came to the conclusion that due to age & weight of unit that the axles should be replaced.

Andy, you suggested increasing capacity if I change axles. Are you referring to a heavier axle or higher rated wheels & tires. When I was browsing sites I only found one axle option.

Thanks again to all who replied. Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. I really do appreciate all who offered help.

RB
You can increase the axle rating, within reason.

Increasing the capacity of the tires and/or wheels has nothing to do with the carrying capacity of the axles.

Andy