Old 10-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Perhaps I have experience with that issue, and therefore can be a little more affirmative.

That is for me to know, and for others to accept, or not. Their choice, as always.

I really don't find that negativity has any useful purpose in this Forums, towards trying to help others.

Andy
Or, perhaps, and as usual, your response to anyone's problem on this board is to try and sell them something.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #16

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

We think enough has been said about motive, opinion, and experience. Let's ease up on each other and get back to addressing the OP's issue please.

On behalf of the site team,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
Dover , Delaware
Kevin,

Thanks for trying to turn down the heat!! I'm rather surprised at how much vitriol I raised by just being a guy who had a problem & needed some help with solutions. I appreciate the answers & apparently there was more than one correct. I expected to have more than one suggestion. I had considered more than one before posting. BTW, I'm not a new owner. Have had trailers since 1976 & a/s since '91. Have had this unit since '99. Also not bashful about picking brains. That's how I solve most of the problems like this so I do appreciate you all.

I did make a trip to a local tire shop which deals with a lot of heavy stuff as well as passenger cars & trailers. The tech I spoke with has had experience in making this type of repair. I provided him several of the answers received here & from other sources. After considering all that I provided he quickly came to the conclusion that due to age & weight of unit that the axles should be replaced.

Andy, you suggested increasing capacity if I change axles. Are you referring to a heavier axle or higher rated wheels & tires. When I was browsing sites I only found one axle option.

Thanks again to all who replied. Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. I really do appreciate all who offered help.

RB
Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhinzman View Post
Kevin,

Thanks for trying to turn down the heat!! I'm rather surprised at how much vitriol I raised by just being a guy who had a problem & needed some help with solutions. I appreciate the answers & apparently there was more than one correct. I expected to have more than one suggestion. I had considered more than one before posting. BTW, I'm not a new owner. Have had trailers since 1976 & a/s since '91. Have had this unit since '99. Also not bashful about picking brains. That's how I solve most of the problems like this so I do appreciate you all.

I did make a trip to a local tire shop which deals with a lot of heavy stuff as well as passenger cars & trailers. The tech I spoke with has had experience in making this type of repair. I provided him several of the answers received here & from other sources. After considering all that I provided he quickly came to the conclusion that due to age & weight of unit that the axles should be replaced.

Andy, you suggested increasing capacity if I change axles. Are you referring to a heavier axle or higher rated wheels & tires. When I was browsing sites I only found one axle option.

Thanks again to all who replied. Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. I really do appreciate all who offered help.

RB
You can increase the axle rating, within reason.

Increasing the capacity of the tires and/or wheels has nothing to do with the carrying capacity of the axles.

Andy