Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Very Disappointed in SAM`s CLUB

We started out on July 3rd for our vacation and headed to Topsail Hill state park near Destin FL. We made it about 20 miles from home and I had to make a turn and dicovered a bulge in one tire on the trailer. So we were near Albany GA and I new where a SAM`s Club was so we slowly made it there with no problem. I asked if they had a trailer tire and I was told yes but we do not install them on those things(trailer). I asked if I remove the tire and rim myself would you install the tire and the reply was NO we do not install tires on trailer rims. They did however say we have a tire we can sell you but that is it. So I asked who else would have a tire near by and they sen me to a store that had already closed. Granted it was 4:45 on a Friday afternoon.
I told my DW that we would at least try Walmart. SO we drive over there and I asked the tech if they had any trailer tires and they said yes and it turned out they had the ST22575R15 LR D in a Good Year Marathon but they would not install it on the trailer but would install it on the rim. So I took the tire/rim off and we had to wait about a 1 1/2 hrs cause they were busy and then we were off . So Hoorayyy for Walmart.

And as luck would have it on our return trip home we actually had a tire blowout while on I 10 east so we stopped at a Walmart in Marianna FL and they had a tire in stock as well same brand/size. I had already taken the tire off while stopped at an exit so it would not continue to shread and or damage the trailer and took the rim to the tech and they had a new tire on in about 30 minutes and these folks were very nice at this Walmart.

Now before the trailer moves again I am having the other four replaced and the spare.
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
uhm, Sam's and Walmart are the same company....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In addition, if the tires being replaced were Goodyear Marathons, and you've had 2 issues with them, perhaps it also might be time to look for another tire vendor?

Though Sam's and Wal-Mart are the same company, you'd be surprised by the many times you run into folks that are "owned" by the same parent company where the right hand clearly doesn't know what the left hand did.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
I don't believe tires are the primary business of Sam's Club or Walmart.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Might be nice to know the reasoning and the actual company policy regarding mounting tires to trailer rims. As well as to reasoning of not removing tires/rims from the actual trailers.
Prob a liability issue, or at least that will be the excuse for the removal, but the not mounting to the rims is somewhat of a puzzle to me at least.

Road Service:
Anyone know the average price of road service (show up charge) by a truck tire outfit?

I wonder if AAA will or will not change a tire on trailer on road service calls?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Why would you sell a trailer tire and not put them on the rim... DUMB>>>>

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I believe Sam's won't change a tire because the work must be done inside their facility. I've also noted that they have no floor jacks. They lift all vehicles off the ground on lifts that use the vehicle frames for support.

Now the issue about wheels is not clear to me. Tire business is significant at my local Sam's. After being a member of Sam's Club for many years, I know that anything that is not significant is removed from stock. I can't see them selling tires if tires they were truly a minor item.

I bought my Maxxis tires out of town and had a local auto service facility mount them. They had equipment to properly mount the tires without damaging the wheels. They also used the stick on weights to balance the tires. Cost was $15 a tire which included disposal of the old tire. I brought them the wheels with the old tires mounted.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yeah, its a liability thing. Don't blame Sam's; blame their insurance, and our overly-litigious society.

here's how the tire center manager explained it to me:

as Jack said, all the work has to be done inside. they can't get a trailer inside. So I asked if I could bring the trailer over, and take the wheels off in the parking lot, one at a time, and bring them inside. Nope...can't have me working on a vehicle in the parking lot.
But they DID say that I could bring in the wheels, and they'd mount and balance the tires. I just couldn't be taking them on and off the trailer on their property.
They don't normally stock trailer tires at this particular location, but they can order anything. not much point, imo...

Anyway, a good customer service experience: a few weeks ago, I found (yet another) nail in one of my truck tires. I didn't buy my truck tires at Sam's...but I've bought car tires from them. and lots of other stuff. Anyway, I was in a hurry to get it fixed, on a sunday...the place where I bought my tires (and had road hazzard coverage) was too far away in the other direction...I had other errands to do near the local Sam's club, so I thought I'd see if they'd fix it for me...(and I'm fully expecting to pay for the service; my biggest concern was that the wait would be too long). Turns out, it wasn't very busy that day, and they fixed the tire for no charge. none. They way the guy explained it, that is just their "policy"; (wasn't because they werent' busy). I suppose since we pay a "club membership", they know everyone that comes in is a regular customer, and so forth, but still, it seems unusual in this day and age. So, Kudos to them.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
interesting about the courtesy repair...

Costco was doing that but stopped about 2 years ago. they told me that they will only repair what they have sold. i'll have to tell them about Sam's.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
In addition, if the tires being replaced were Goodyear Marathons, and you've had 2 issues with them, perhaps it also might be time to look for another tire vendor?

Though Sam's and Wal-Mart are the same company, you'd be surprised by the many times you run into folks that are "owned" by the same parent company where the right hand clearly doesn't know what the left hand did.

Hi Silvertwinkie,
The tires that are on my trailer are Denmark and were on it when I puchased the trailer. The tires are approx. 6 yrs old and are ready for replacement but I was hoping to finish this season before buying new ones.So I do not have any issues with the Goodyear Marathons but that is what Walmart happened to have in stock fortuneately the correct size and LR D .
My problem was that we had already started our journey to Fl and we had to stop for the first tire failure in Albany GA and that is where we went to Sam`s Club and they were not of any help other than they would sell me a tire and that is all. But we went to a Walmart about 2 miles away and they were nice enough to let me remove the defective tire/rim and they mounted the new Goodyear Marathon.Also the Walmart did the same thing in Mariana FL for the 2nd tire failure and they were very nice.
So I have already spoken to my local Walmart tire dept since returning home and I will order the remaining tires online and they will be shipped to my local store where I will take the rims in to have the new tires installed.And hopefully not have any more tire failures for a long time.
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
dates

And don't forget to check the dates on the tires!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
What do you mean check the dates? Have been thinking about getting tires for motorhome at sam's club because they carry Michelins.I was just taking the rims and tires in so will they change them or is it on a store by store thing?
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Gypsy Jo - he means check the DOT code for how long they have been made. It is on the side of the tire and the last 3 or 4 numbers give that info. It reads something like example - 1908, which means the 19th week of 2008. If you take the 19 and divide by 4 it tells you that tire was made around the end of April 2008. You don't want a very old tire (Sears was notorious for selling tires more than 4yrs old for awhile).

When we got our original Marathons 5yrs ago, we did get them at Sam's and they did put them on the trailer. BUT, they were VERY reluctant to do so, and only after we gave the name of the manager who had sold them & told us they would do the work. I don't imagine we could ever get that again. We just had our new Maxxis tires put on at a truck stop outside Pueblo. You might consider that if you ever get in a tight situation again. They are usually open later at night for the truckers. We ended up 2nd in line w/the big rigs, but they were great and had the work done pronto. Of course, it would require buying the tires somewhere else as I don't think they would stock trailer tires. But alot of times Walmarts and/or Sams are located off hiway and might be an easy trip between the two. Just a thought!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"I wonder if AAA will or will not change a tire on trailer on road service calls?"

I had AAA for years, then upgraded to their RV coverage. I believe it covered tire changes on both the trailer and TV. But they couldn't give me a definitive answer on whether or not they would tow both the TV and the trailer should the TV break down (I was given different answers by everyone I contacted within AAA), I changed to Good Sam Emergency Road Service. So far I've used it twice and haven't been disappointed. Once for when my truck broke down (I wasn't towing at the time), and for a flat tire on my trailer at 2:30 AM.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #15
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Discount Tires will remove your old tires and mount your new ones on your trailer, balanced and all. They'll also rotate periodically and repair for free. I checked out Maxxis, Marathon and a third brand I can't recall at this moment - they stocked 'em all. I've used Discount Tire for my other vehicles for many years and have never had a problem with 'em. Had a tire blow on me a few years ago. Took what was left of the carcass and they replaced the tire for free, no questions asked.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I now get my tires from the local guy, Not any more expensive and is close for repairs and rotations. Plus I'm supporting the local guy and not a chain (who knows where that money is going) And if something happens on the road, I'm usually in the middle of nowhere and the chain stores aren't there either.

Plus the local guy will put tires on anything I bring him. even my tractor...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I have purchased trailer tires from Discount Tires and they installed them at their store. Couldn't get inside the bay but they put the tires on just outside the door. No hassel.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
"I wonder if AAA will or will not change a tire on trailer on road service calls?"

I had AAA for years, then upgraded to their RV coverage. I believe it covered tire changes on both the trailer and TV. But they couldn't give me a definitive answer on whether or not they would tow both the TV and the trailer should the TV break down (I was given different answers by everyone I contacted within AAA), I changed to Good Sam Emergency Road Service. So far I've used it twice and haven't been disappointed. Once for when my truck broke down (I wasn't towing at the time), and for a flat tire on my trailer at 2:30 AM.

Yes, AAA will tow both if you have the RV Plus coverage and yes they will change the tire out on either or both vehicles when towing.
If you have the coverage with the RV plus, it covers 4 tows/year, if both the TV and trailer needs towed they count it as 2 tows.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
I have the AAA Plus RV coverage and it gives me 100 miles free towing with up to two tow vehicles if necessary; one for my Suburban and one for my Excella 29.

Some years ago I had a transmission failure and was towed and the tow truck hooked up to my truck and towed my truck still hooked up to the trailer, and took us to a campground where we unhooked the tailer, then he took the truck to a repair shop. I've been happy with AAA Plus RV.
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote