Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
Yeah, there was a lot of back and forth on that... with LTX advocates making very good points that LTX use on a travel trailer is not 'abuse' or outside intended use.

AFAIC, it's a moot point now.

Got a little better performance out of the LTX, too.

But, not enough to knowingly void the warranty.

Back to the drawing board.
I have been running a lot of tires on trailers, service trucks cars and I haven't had the tire problems you listed in the last twenty five years other than the occasional flat. The only tire I ever ran and had premature failure with was the GYM on our 2013 AS. All others I got normal service life plus some.
PS the GYM had 10 k miles and 1 year on them. The dealer just about laughed me out his shop when I asked about the warranty. He responded by saying how do we know they weren't under inflated or you exceeded the 65 mph speed. So I don't understand what your gripe is.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The point is, according to OP, is they asked if the tires were OEM. in your case, they were. In my case, and in his case they were not.
And I found that difference interesting and perhaps worthy of discussion in a thread about the suitability of Michelin tires on trailers....not irrelevant.....which is why I brought it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I also stated I did not look at all Airstream models. The three models I did look at state Goodyear as the tire brand.

And as built Michelin the tire maker states very consistantly, there is no Michelin tire that was or is made for trailer use. And Michelin expressly does not recommend their tires for trailer installation.

If Airstream or any trailer manufacturer wants to install a tires not made for the application (trailer usage), that vehicle manufacturer (Airstream) has some liability for installation on that model. Wouldn't you think???

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
You did say that. But to be fair, your statement seemed to suggest that a reference to Michelin tires couldn't be found anywhere on the AS web site. I simply pointed out where a reference could be found.

I would think that AS should have some liability for the use of Michelin tires on their Classic model. I also find it interesting that the OP's initial post says that he was told "unless your trailer was shipped from factory with Michelin LTX tires, any warranty coverage is void". One interpretation of this statement is that if the trailer came from the manufacturer equipped with Michelin LTX tires then the warranty IS in force. It makes me wonder whether Michelin's policy on the suitability of the LTX tires for trailer usage is as black and white as is being suggested.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #23
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't use Michelins on trailers. And many users have reported Michelin's response that trailer usage is not recommended.

With that said many people use Michelins on trailers. And many people on this forum have gone to that brand as the solution to all tire problems. In my opinion the tire problem isn't as simple as changing brand. And I don't think anyone is going to get much out of Michelin in monetary compensation for a tire that is on a trailer should same tire fail. Making the tread title some what accurate. Not to say that hasn't happened. It just isn't likely because the tire isn't built for that application as stated by the company.

And don't take my word for it, contact Michelin customer service and report back.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The ST tire will NEVER be as well-built. That’s the “warranty” to worry about. The rating prohibitions spell that out clearly. Liability is stamped on the sidewall.

Tires aren’t thousands of dollars apiece. But that will be the price of using an inferior-by-design tire. Sooner or later.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I actually like the title of the original post. It is an "upgrade" to go to the Michelin tire. There is no warranty from Michelin if you do so. So to me the post is 100% accurate. I am willing to take the chance with no warranty. I am not sure I have ever had a failed tire replaced by a warranty. There is always some reason for them not to. At least once deliberate when a local grocery chain had a strike and the spiked the parking lot. Many times accidental.Most of my tire problems have been from nails and screws in the tread. I have had tire cut. I have ruptured sidewalls from hitting something.

ST tires did not even exist when my trailer was made. Somehow Airstream thought we could get along with the commercial tires made then at about 45 psi. Not sure why I need load range E STY tires of a larger size at 80 psi to hold up the same trailer now?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I actually like the title of the original post. It is an "upgrade" to go to the Michelin tire. There is no warranty from Michelin if you do so. So to me the post is 100% accurate. I am willing to take the chance with no warranty. I am not sure I have ever had a failed tire replaced by a warranty. There is always some reason for them not to. At least once deliberate when a local grocery chain had a strike and the spiked the parking lot. Many times accidental.Most of my tire problems have been from nails and screws in the tread. I have had tire cut. I have ruptured sidewalls from hitting something.

ST tires did not even exist when my trailer was made. Somehow Airstream thought we could get along with the commercial tires made then at about 45 psi. Not sure why I need load range E STY tires of a larger size at 80 psi to hold up the same trailer now?
To answer the last line, overload the trailer and drive at 75mph. That is the only reason to go to those tires.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I also stated I did not look at all Airstream models. The three models I did look at state Goodyear as the tire brand.

And as built Michelin the tire maker states very consistantly, there is no Michelin tire that was or is made for trailer use. And Michelin expressly does not recommend their tires for trailer installation.

If Airstream or any trailer manufacturer wants to install a tires not made for the application (trailer usage), that vehicle manufacturer (Airstream) has some liability for installation on that model. Wouldn't you think???

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
More fun...I have used Michelins LT's on last 3 AS's without any issues. AS does mention the Michelins as standard equipment in the brochures on the Classic.

I am replacing the GYM's shortly on my 2017 28'. Considering a new set of 15" LTX Michelins, with a 2271lb rating at 50psi, although these are not LT rated. If there was a better choice, I am all ears... Thought about the new GYE's, but Costco guys told me they are going away from Goodyear due to problems with them...did not say which tires were giving them issues.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Michelin does not recommend any tire it makes to be used on a trailer. Michelin does not make a trailer tire. >>>Action

Well actually they do have a tire but it is expensive. MICHELIN'S XPS® RIB in 16'. My cousin who is a retired fuel tanker uses them on his 5th wheel. Whether one would fit in your wheel well and not touch the other tire is another question.

I've had good luck with 15" Maxxis E rated running at 75-80psi, but I tend to replace tires at 3 years, and take the two best and mount them as spares (yes two spares--yes I know you can run one side with just one tire. I've been trailering since 1971 and I know why I carry two spares.)

Try to over buy the tires your intend to use, balance them in the shop then use centramatics as well, and slap on a good TPMS and check and recheck the tires every time you stop. Just a quick walk around and fast look and maybe a hand on he tire for temp. It is the only thing between your piece of aluminum heaven and a very hard dirty piece of road.

+dca

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I run the 16" Michelin XPS Rib on my '14 27FB Classic. Again, no expectation of warranty, but prefer the HD build and steel-belted sidewalls. 10k on them so far and they perform like a charm.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have 22,000 on my michelins on the 13,31’ Classic....no issues, show no wear...72 lbs of air...my gyms were replaced at 20,000 miles, they were s it under 50 o/o....time to go...I don’t believe in running them too long..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
I didn’t expect them to provide any warranty on tires dated 0412.

But, that ain’t the point.

Michelin just told me the warranty is voided using LTX on a trailer.

Gonna do some research on Firestone....
I have never had any warranty problem with michelin on any of my vehicles...if they are 6 years old...You do t have a leg to stand on....next time pull them at 5 years....it may be cheaper
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #32
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have 40,000 mi on Michelins. Replaced GYM's after 3 yrs. one was failing when I removed it. Warranty or NO, I'll stick with the michelins.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
16" LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 Michelin tires on SenDel T03-66655T wheels were standard on the 27' Eddie Bauer models.... As well as 2015 to 2016 Classics.

Optional installs of these same tires and wheels offered at the Airstream service center in Jackson Center for any 25' or bigger dual axle trailers.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #34
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I had Airstream Service install seven Michelins on my Classic. I went to Discount Tire and they gladly sold me thier regular road hazard warranty with free lifetime balance and rotation. I inquired about thier use on a trailer and mentioned that Airstream supplies them as an OEM tire. They said everything we warrant is covered no matter where you purchase it. In the past I have never had them refuse a warrantee claim on any tire. A few years ago thye reimbursed me for a new replacement GYM that got cut on the road. All they wanted was to see the receipt. Great Company. Be sure and supervise thier jacking operation as the don't handle many Airstreams.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I had Airstream Service install seven Michelins on my Classic. I went to Discount Tire and they gladly sold me thier regular road hazard warranty with free lifetime balance and rotation. I inquired about thier use on a trailer and mentioned that Airstream supplies them as an OEM tire. They said everything we warrant is covered no matter where you purchase it. In the past I have never had them refuse a warrantee claim on any tire. A few years ago thye reimbursed me for a new replacement GYM that got cut on the road. All they wanted was to see the receipt. Great Company. Be sure and supervise thier jacking operation as the don't handle many Airstreams.
guskmg
Thank you for that. What size/model did you end up with?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
More fun...I have used Michelins LT's on last 3 AS's without any issues. AS does mention the Michelins as standard equipment in the brochures on the Classic.

I am replacing the GYM's shortly on my 2017 28'. Considering a new set of 15" LTX Michelins, with a 2271lb rating at 50psi, although these are not LT rated. If there was a better choice, I am all ears... Thought about the new GYE's, but Costco guys told me they are going away from Goodyear due to problems with them...did not say which tires were giving them issues.
I have those on my 27’, put on by my dealer. They advised against the load range E which would give a very rough ride at sidewall pressure. Personally don’t care whether it’s a passenger tire or not; I’ve been much rougher on passenger tires than I ever have on trailer tires without issue.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
I think if you check you will find that many ST type tires have only a 1 or 2 year warranty, even if OE.

Best thing to do is

1. Confirm your actual load on each tire.
2. Using the heaviest number (ie your "Heavy Load") find a tire that fits and can support at least 115% of your measured "Heavy Load"
3. Confirm the wheels are rated for at least your measured scale "Heavy Load"
4. Set the Low pressure warning on your TPMS to be the inflation needed to support the "Heavy Load".
5 make your CIP the pressure on the tire sidewall which should be the pressure needed to support 115% of "Heavy Load". Having more inflwhen on a trailer is better for tire life.
6. Do a "Free Spin" inspection annually or at leaast every 2,000 miles.
7. Use bolt in valve stems
8 Make sure all your tires are registered so you get notified if there is a recall.
9 Check my profile for info on my RV Tire blog and educate yourself a bit.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Bountiful , UT
tires

I just spoke with our local Discount Tire Shop concerning LT tires on a TT, They sell an in house full replacement warranty and it applies to TT as well. It takes the final cost for Michelin Defenders LTX 235/85R16 to $1209. Considering the tire cost is close to a thousand dollars, the $1209 price tag seems worth the Discount Tire warranty. Has anyone gone this route and did you run into any issues? Thanks in advance, Russ
56ovalwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56ovalwindow View Post
I just spoke with our local Discount Tire Shop concerning LT tires on a TT, They sell an in house full replacement warranty and it applies to TT as well. It takes the final cost for Michelin Defenders LTX 235/85R16 to $1209. Considering the tire cost is close to a thousand dollars, the $1209 price tag seems worth the Discount Tire warranty. Has anyone gone this route and did you run into any issues? Thanks in advance, Russ
I bought 5 16" Michelin LT tires and 5 Sendel wheels from Discount Tire and purchased the road hazard warranty. Two years later I hit some debris left on an exit ramp from an accident and cut one of the tires. I took it back to the Discount Tire Store and the only cost was $20 +/- (don't remember the actual price) to put the (optional) road hazard warranty on the replacement tire. You bet I bought it!

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Bountiful , UT
Al, Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the quick and on target answer. It looks as though we might be visiting Discount Tire. After reading your info, I see we have similar tastes. We have a 2005, 28 S/O, Dodge 2500 diesel TV. Looking to replace the TV in a couple years. Once again, thanks.
56ovalwindow is offline   Reply With Quote