Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Upgraded to Michelin LTX? No Warranty.

I just spent about 35 minutes on phone with Alvin in "Consumer Claims" at Michelin.

He stated: unless your trailer was shipped from factory with Michelin LTX tires, any warranty coverage is void.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Dude, they were 6 years old!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I didn’t expect them to provide any warranty on tires dated 0412.

But, that ain’t the point.

Michelin just told me the warranty is voided using LTX on a trailer.

Gonna do some research on Firestone....
Old 05-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So, I don't expect warranty on products used outside design intent. I wouldn't cover a variety of failures for modified vehicles north of the border to pull more than spec. You play, you pay.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Yeah, there was a lot of back and forth on that... with LTX advocates making very good points that LTX use on a travel trailer is not 'abuse' or outside intended use.

AFAIC, it's a moot point now.

Got a little better performance out of the LTX, too.

But, not enough to knowingly void the warranty.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Michelin does not recommend any tire it makes to be used on a trailer. Michelin does not make a trailer tire.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Michelin does not recommend any tire it makes to be used on a trailer. Michelin does not make a trailer tire.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Correct, and common knowledge. Any trailer use is outside design intent.

That said, I am on my second set of LTX (Defender now) LT tires on my AS. Do it with eyes wide open as the empirical data suggests nothing better out there. But I expect no coverage, period! Watching the Endurance closely for my next set.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Boondockdad
Try the Goodyear Endurance.
It seems by the advertised spec.
They want to fill the void in the market
they lost by making the Marathon in China.
It is really something when a manufacturer deletes a complete product line.
Hopefully they are overbuilt and will last.
We shall see.
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I've found tire warranties to be smoke and mirrors anyway.
They're pro-rated. If the life of a tire is 6 years, and your's fails in three years, don't expect a new tire, or even half the cost of a new tire.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I'm really disappointed with Goodyear right now. Read some very disturbing articles about the shenanigans they played with their G159 tires... not to mention the disaster those GYM's were for me.

With that said, smallest 16" for the Endurance is a 235/80 at 30.8" diameter. That's a whole 1-1/2" over my LT225/75R16... and those are cutting it close.

Stepping back down to 15" only gives me 2830 max load. Much rather have the extra safety margin of the 16".
Old 05-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I've found tire warranties to be smoke and mirrors anyway.
They're pro-rated. If the life of a tire is 6 years, and your's fails in three years, don't expect a new tire, or even half the cost of a new tire.
I hear you... but, Goodyear at least covered my deductibles and cost of tires.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
I'm really disappointed with Goodyear right now. Read some very disturbing articles about the shenanigans they played with their G159 tires... not to mention the disaster those GYM's were for me.

Smallest 16" for the Endurance is a 235/80 at 30.8" diameter. That's a whole 1-1/2" over my LT225/75R16... and those are cutting it close.

Stepping back down to 15" only gives me 2830 max load. Much rather have the extra safety margin of the 16".
Well that's a problem. Those 16s won't fit in my wells.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
And yet Michelin LTX M/S2 tires came as OEM on our 2018 30' AS Classic....

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Irrelevant. If GM spec'ed LT Michelin for our 2019 truck, does that mean Michelin condoned it if you put them on your 2010 Corvette? Tires are model and year specific from a tire and vehicle perspective. You don't get to make these decisions. Sorry.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
And yet Michelin LTX M/S2 tires came as OEM on our 2018 30' AS Classic....
Airstream will sell what the market demands. Many AS owners want/demand a Michelin tire over a Goodyear tire. Looking at the AS factory website for a couple of models and there is no mention of Michelin. (I did not look at all new models) The specific tire brand stated is Goodyear. Likely if you took delivery of a new trailer, either the dealer installed Michelins or the Airstream Service Center installed Michelins. That may be splitting hairs, however I bet the Airstream Service Center and Airstream the factory are two separate companies owned by a shell. The service center can replace tires with the customer's choice and not have liability because it was the customer's choosing. The factory can not get that liability protection because they have a warranty behind what they build.

AND Michelin has been very clear on many occasions to many users on this website making the inquiry. Michelin does not make a trailer tire! Michelin does not recommend using any Michelin tire on any trailer of any type.

And a reply to dznf0g above, common knowledge is not always common.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Airstream will sell what the market demands. Many AS owners want/demand a Michelin tire over a Goodyear tire.

However Michelin has been very clear on many occasions to many users on this website making the inquiry. Michelin does not make a trailer tire! Michelin does not recommend using any Michelin tire on any trailer of any type.

And a reply to dznf0g above, common knowledge is not always common.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
I feel ya. I always assume that people do or should know more than they do sometimes. But that doesn't change the facts.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Irrelevant. If GM spec'ed LT Michelin for our 2019 truck, does that mean Michelin condoned it if you put them on your 2010 Corvette? Tires are model and year specific from a tire and vehicle perspective. You don't get to make these decisions. Sorry.
It may not be definitive but it's hardly irrelevant. Pointing out that Airstream uses Michelin LTX tires as original equipment on the Classic is simply a matter of fact, and that's all I was attempting to point out in my post. Besides, it at least raises the question of why AS would use a tire on their trailers that is not warrantied for trailer use. That issue does seem relevant to the discussion in this thread.

Quote:
Airstream will sell what the market demands. Many AS owners want/demand a Michelin tire over a Goodyear tire. Looking at the AS factory website for a couple of models and there is no mention of Michelin. (I did not look at all new models) The specific tire brand stated is Goodyear. Likely if you took delivery of a new trailer, either the dealer installed Michelins or the Airstream Service Center installed Michelins. That may be splitting hairs, however I bet the Airstream Service Center and Airstream the factory are two separate companies owned by a shell. The service center can replace tires with the customer's choice and not have liability because it was the customer's choosing. The factory can not get that liability protection because they have a warranty behind what they build.
FWIW, my dealer did not install the Michelin tires on my 2018 Classic, nor did I request them. To the best of my knowledge, Michelins were installed on the trailer from the factory. Moreover, my owners manual specifically references Michelin LT tires, in the size used on my trailer, when spelling out load ratings and tire pressure.

Additionally, you apparently missed this reference to Michelin tires on the Airstream website. In the "Exterior Features" section for the Classic on the site, it clearly shows "Michelin LT225/75R16 Tires, Balanced" as standard.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...ssic/features/

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
It may not be definitive but it's hardly irrelevant. Pointing out that Airstream uses Michelin LTX tires as original equipment on the Classic is simply a matter of fact, and that's all I was attempting to point out in my post. Besides, it at least raises the question of why AS would use a tire on their trailers that is not warrantied for trailer use. That issue does seem relevant to the discussion in this thread.

FWIW, my dealer did not install the Michelin tires on my 2018 Classic, nor did I request them. To the best of my knowledge, Michelins were installed on the trailer from the factory. Moreover, my owners manual specifically references Michelin LT tires, in the size used on my trailer, when spelling out load ratings and tire pressure.

Additionally, you apparently missed this reference to Michelin tires on the Airstream website. In the "Exterior Features" section for the Classic on the site, it clearly shows "Michelin LT225/75R16 Tires, Balanced" as standard.

The point is, according to OP, is they asked if the tires were OEM. in your case, they were. In my case, and in his case they were not.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
If something works I usually don’t worry about the warranty. There’s millions of LTX tires on trailers, working just fine.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #20
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:

I also stated I did not look at all Airstream models. The three models I did look at state Goodyear as the tire brand.

And as built Michelin the tire maker states very consistantly, there is no Michelin tire that was or is made for trailer use. And Michelin expressly does not recommend their tires for trailer installation.

If Airstream or any trailer manufacturer wants to install a tires not made for the application (trailer usage), that vehicle manufacturer (Airstream) has some liability for installation on that model. Wouldn't you think???

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action