Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Georgetown , Texas
TV Tires wearing unevenly

Haven't found a solution to this problem despite lots of searching. My TV ('11 f250) tires are wearing out along the inside and outside edges while the center tread remains robust. All 4 are like this, probably because they are rotated every 5k.
Here's the stats: Tires are Michelin LTX M/S2 121/118R. Max load @ 80psi single is 3195lbs. They are inflated to 75psi front and 80psi rear per Ford directive for load range E. They're 3 1/2 years old, 38k total miles, 22k of which has been towing an '07 Safari with a GVWR of 7300lbs. Hitch is a PP.
I use the 3-pass method at the scales to check it all out. TV solo is 4740 front, 4200 rear and level. With WD activated, TV is 4740 front, 4840 rear and down in the rear 1-1 1/2 inches. Trailer is level with 6200lbs on the rear axles combined. Trailer alone weighs 6960lbs. Tongue weight is 940lbs which is 13.5% of trailer weight.
To me, all the numbers look ok. I don't tike the rear sag of the TV but I've read that the f250s are a little soft back there. I had the truck alignment checked by the dealer that sold me the tires; it was really good. He said the uneven wear was probably due to 22k towing miles. If this is true, I can accept it. What do you think? Any and all replies are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030372.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	285996  
bangzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's pretty much just the way it is. Even the front tires on tractor trailer rigs wear unevenly.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Our 2500 4x4 duramax does that. May re air in front helped. Also made sure good weight re-distributed to front.

Make sure you are loaded to travel when setting up rig.

Also... check shock absorbers.... could be bouncing... that would round off edges.. at least on our old F250's..

Also fast turns while braking or just braking can cause tire squash as and edge wear
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yeah, the weight numbers look good. I can not explain it. I would buy another set and try again. That is a lot of miles with some significant load with that much towing. You actually did pretty well.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Yeah, the weight numbers look good. I can not explain it. I would buy another set and try again. That is a lot of miles with some significant load with that much towing. You actually did pretty well.

Move tires front to rear....
Old 05-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks Overlander, CWF and Bill M. Maybe that's as good as it gets. Just wasn't expecting it. Will replace air with helium in the morning unless you can recommend a more durable tire.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangzoom View Post
Thanks Overlander, CWF and Bill M. Maybe that's as good as it gets. Just wasn't expecting it. Will replace air with helium in the morning unless you can recommend a more durable tire.
Do you mean nitrogen?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My 07 ram 4/4 tires wore evenly, first set was BFG's, went 72,000 miles , next was michelins, at 38,000 miles they looked like new, all was towing...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
I don't know about helium's benefit(s)... other than cartoon voices.. and non-explosive nature...usually

We have Michelins on 20" wheels...

To dig deeper... does the rig 'porpoise' ? You know.. where the nose of truck rises, then the rear and the AS does similar? That would cause the front tires to tilt... moving the load to the sides... that would accelerate the wear on the edges.

Does your Ford have an "I-beam" front suspension? If so, the front wheels and tires, will move as described above...and by simple rise and fall of the front end.. over the miles can exhibit a bit of this.

On our 2012 Duramax 2500, the rear end is a partial slip... meaning it wants to run straight... when I turn, the front has more work to change the direction...as the rear end wants to drive straight... that works the edges of the fronts...

It is advisable that the best tires be on the rear of your vehicle...at least that's what the pro's tell me...so, moving tires front to rear should tell.. especially if the rear tires are wearing properly.

My totally novice approach (spending my money)..

- verify there is no 'porposing'..

- I would do the front/rear tire rotate... drive very carefully, especially in the rain... it will take a lot of miles to verify this test.

- Rotate tires every 5K miles.. that way wear is "spread" out... (I have done this several times.. seems to make a difference for us... YMMV

- Replace front shock absorbers on TV.. and consider replace of the rear shock absorbers as well.... especially if your headlights are not 'stable' when towing

let us know how it works out..
Old 05-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I would air those front tires up to the max, maybe a little more. Your photo shows a typical wear pattern for an under-inflated tire.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I don't know about helium's benefit(s)... other than cartoon voices.. and non-explosive nature...usually

We have Michelins on 20" wheels...

To dig deeper... does the rig 'porpoise' ? You know.. where the nose of truck rises, then the rear and the AS does similar? That would cause the front tires to tilt... moving the load to the sides... that would accelerate the wear on the edges.

Does your Ford have an "I-beam" front suspension? If so, the front wheels and tires, will move as described above...and by simple rise and fall of the front end.. over the miles can exhibit a bit of this.

On our 2012 Duramax 2500, the rear end is a partial slip... meaning it wants to run straight... when I turn, the front has more work to change the direction...as the rear end wants to drive straight... that works the edges of the fronts...

It is advisable that the best tires be on the rear of your vehicle...at least that's what the pro's tell me...so, moving tires front to rear should tell.. especially if the rear tires are wearing properly.

My totally novice approach (spending my money)..

- verify there is no 'porposing'..

- I would do the front/rear tire rotate... drive very carefully, especially in the rain... it will take a lot of miles to verify this test.

- Rotate tires every 5K miles.. that way wear is "spread" out... (I have done this several times.. seems to make a difference for us... YMMV

- Replace front shock absorbers on TV.. and consider replace of the rear shock absorbers as well.... especially if your headlights are not 'stable' when towing

let us know how it works out..
Your truck does not have a limited slip differential, unless you installed one. It has an auto locker, which operates as an open diff until a 100 rpm spin locks it. It does not affect turning forces at all when unlocked.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Rancho Cordova , California
Quote:
... TV solo is 4740 front, 4200 rear and level. With WD activated, TV is 4740 front, 4840 rear...
I assume there is a typographical error, the front weight didn't change with WD activated???
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Have you confirmed front alignment? Since you rotated tires and if front was out of align that could be cause.

I have heard some claim that the Ford Front suspension may bot be particularly great for tire wear.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Your truck does not have a limited slip differential, unless you installed one. It has an auto locker, which operates as an open diff until a 100 rpm spin locks it. It does not affect turning forces at all when unlocked.
When in 4x4 it pushes front end... and when turning quick corners the rear can lead see traction a bit when power rolls on.. acres at parking lot and below speeds should be no issue. My apologies for my misstated understanding.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I rotate my tires every oil change. Spreads the wear pattern out.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Do you mean nitrogen?
No, helium. Will lighten the rear end. Also, can suck off a few psi while boondocking for cheap entertainment.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
No, helium. Will lighten the rear end. Also, can suck off a few psi while boondocking for cheap entertainment.
You're joking about lightening the rear end - right?

If it did, it would hardly be measurable. Now Flubber, that might be good.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #18
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Don't forget to change out to helium in the spare too. Need all that you can get.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dog View Post
I assume there is a typographical error, the front weight didn't change with WD activated???
I screwed up a little bit. I wrote TV solo was 4740 front and 4200 rear. It should have read 4740 front and 4020 rear. Hooked up with WD deactivated, TV front dropped to 4320 and TV rear rose to 5380. Activating the WD, TV front returned to 4740 and TV rear dropped to 4840. I hope this explains it better. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
White Bear Lake , Minnesota
If I recall correctly it takes 19 cubic feet of helium to lift one pound so the gains would only be in the entertainment value of releasing some to be inhaled and then produce comic voices.

I do not believe for one second that there is any advantage to inflating tires with nitrogen. The atmosphere is 79% nitrogen so the gas station air used to inflate tires is already mostly nitrogen. Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen so they leak more slowly.

Have I started a tire inflation war? It is not my intention.

Lyle
lyleapgmc is offline   Reply With Quote