Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2004, 10:50 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

The only information I asked Andy to qualify was what information from 30 years ago he is talking about. I have a set of 14.5" 6 hole rims, on the inside clearly marked is the load rating, no restrictions on the amount of plys to be used. I just went out and looked at my old rims (15" 6 hole and they also have the load rating with nothing about ply restriction. So my point is rim failure can probably be traced to overloading not metal fatigue from using to high of ply rating.

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Well. Here we go with the ad hominem stuff again. There's two types of people out here, those who just want a quick, by the rulebook answer; and those who may want a little more detail. I'm an engineer and belong to the latter group. And I appreciate Andy trying to help out people who don't need to know the details, just want an answer based on experience.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight
... I just went out and looked at my old rims (15" 6 hole and they also have the load rating with nothing about ply restriction. So my point is rim failure can probably be traced to overloading not metal fatigue from using to high of ply rating.
It appears that many years ago, tire loading was not specified by Load Range, but rather by ply count. If I remember what I read on one tire maker's website, what is now considered a Load Range C tire had 6 plys whereas a Load Range D tire had at least 8 plys.

Nowadays, with the Load Ranges standardized, it should not matter how many plys there are. As someone else pointed out in another thread, less plys are better when it comes to the tire generating heat.

While a tire with more plys would be stiffer, I think the principal worry of putting LR D tires on a LR C wheel is not the tire itself, but rather the inflation pressure. A LR D tire probably inflates to a higher pressure. And, if not inflated to this pressure, tire failure could occur.

Oh, research from a 30 year old source provides:
ad hom·i·nem ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hm-nm, -nm)
adj.
Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:09 PM   #24
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Andy,

I thought it was a series of pretty benign questions. I am not looking for an arguement. (And I trust you are not either) And I asked the question because I do not know the answer and I thought you would know the answer because you made the statement not to go to higher load range tires. I am also a person that doesn't take any advise if it doesn't make sense. And may be I am slow and everyone else got it. I just don't understand how a higher load range tire can cause wheel failure. And I did not ask for engineering details. (That would be cool if you had them) So when you say "People don't want or need engineering facts." I dissagree. First engineers are people. Second I am looking for data and I am a person. Third is my guess other will want it. So don't throw opinions out and not expect questions.

And my position of being a moderator does not exclude me from asking questions. Challenging is another way of saying that I ask questions. I will take that for a positive. Cause I do. Also I actively own and use an Airstream so this board is for my use as it is for anyone else that shares the interest. And if users follow me in this vein, (asking questions) then I accept the position of leader. I believe intelligent decisions can be made from knowledge and experience.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #25
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
It's not rocket science. Stiffer tires equal more shock impact on the rims and axles.
Trailer tires are a whole different animal from passenger tires.
We can belabor this thread with technical jargon or accept the advice from a guy who has actual experience in inspecting Airstream accidents and the cause.
The question was simple. The answer ain't that hard either if you trust the voice of experience.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Application

Rog,

Thanks for your input. The tires are still made of rubber, and the wheel is steel. So a wheel that came with higher load range is different than a wheel with a lower range? Show me the difference and I will be buying that difference.

The usage I want to apply is slow speed (under 45 and mostly 30 and under) and severe service. Mexico! High speed vibration is not a consideration. So the tougher the tire the better. And I don't want a wheeel to break open.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-23-2004, 01:21 PM   #27
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Action, I am no expert on tires and lay no claim to fame in that area. I think the Airstream folks know some stuff and they equip their coaches with Goodyear Marathons. I suppose the load range would depend on the weight of the unit plus the load range of the tires that have been in service.
Some interesting info on the difference between P and ST tires can be reviewed on this LINK

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 07-23-2004, 05:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rog.

My point, exactly.

I don't have the time to go into infinite details.

If someone wants to take advantage of my 39 years experience, from investigating accidents involving Airstream trailers, to completely remanufacturing them, then great.

If they don't want to believe the things I post, then great too.

Lord knows, some people believe the ridiculus and want proof of facts.

2 is still 2, but we still have some folks that want proof.

Great. Go get the proof and let the rest of us know.

I freely and willingly enjoy sharing my years of being in the line of fire.

I don't enjoy going into great detail, just because someone "wants proof."

I could and I can, but I won't.

This site is supposed to be filled with facts, and to that degree I wish to participate. But there are the select few, that have to make a mountain out of everything.

Those folks obviously have far more time to dabble than I do. I stay very busy helping those that are appreciative, and that is exactly what I will do, to the best of my ability.

For those that choose otherwise, good luck.

For those that elect to lean way over the edge, we can and do, "EVERYDAY" perform thousand of dollars of repairs, correcting the things that should not have happened, but someone was smarter and had the answers, they thought!!!!!!

To those, thanks you for generating hundreds of thousands of dollars of
service work for us, every year.

It really places me in the middle. Should I try and help those that really need it, or should I just sit back and keep on enjoying the profits of "THEIR" mistakes.

Ah yes, I glad we don't have a perfect world.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:44 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

The "key" word here is....

"Seasoned".

Any metal that has been subjected to constant temps. and pressures becomes "seasoned".
Seasoned means that the molecular structure of the metal has (through heat and pressure) granularly become constant.

To add more pressure, heat and strength will result in metal fatigue.

This is SIMPLE physics, not Rocket science.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Action.

Silver Bullet says it like it is.

Or do you still need "engineering data?"

Don't be so demanding from people that just like to help.

You may find yourself needing an answer someday, but with no one willing to give it to you.

This site is a place to exchange information, that is at least reasonably correct.

Your usage of 10 ply tires, quite well, could get someone hurt, if they listened to you.

Be real, be safe, with whats proven.

Your theory of 10 ply tires, won't hold water. Doesn't matter what speed you would use.

But it's your choice. And when you find that you blew out the wheels in "Mexico" your fun trying to get back to the USA will be a nightmare. But that's your choice too.

Lets not mislead newcomers, with one's theory about tires and wheels.

Try it for several thousands of miles, and then, report back, to us, who will dearly wait for a sob story.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:18 AM   #31
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Caution! Seller is now representing these as "Airstream Trailer Tires"!

It appears that the Tucker Tire guy has discovered that adding the Airstream name to his ads will gain him more business. At latest count, there are 18 ads listing these tires as " 7.00x15 10-PLY TRUCK AIRSTREAM TRAILER TIRES" Here is one example.
Is this not a misleading and potentially dangerous misrepresentation?
A quick search of the web turned up 2 pages that would support Inland Andy's warning against switching to 10 ply tires. Source and quote:

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/ow...ing/tires.html
"Proper tires selection can also have a major impact on handling and ride. For instance, tires with a heavier than necessary load rating can cause a harsh ride which can contribute to frame problems on mid seventies Airstreams."

http://autopedia.com/TireSchool/TireB.html
"Vehicle modifications such as lift kits and other suspension alterations and/or use of tires not recommended by the vehicle or tire manufacturer can adversely affect vehicle handling and stability. Tires specifically designed for travel trailer use in highway service have an "ST" molded on the tire sidewall, such as ST225/75R15. The "ST" stands for "Special Trailer" and means the tire is designed specifically for trailer service."

Old 09-09-2004, 10:47 AM   #32
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Technically they are not trailer tires. No ST designation.

Would be interesting if Airstream knew about it. Then the seller would change the title to be "Not Airstream"

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
Technically they are not trailer tires. No ST designation.

Would be interesting if Airstream knew about it. Then the seller would change the title to be "Not Airstream"
In my opinion, he is a little bit across the line calling them "airstream tires".

The real question is; Why would anyone want to put a bias tire on their airstream? 700-15 bias was probably OE fitment years ago but, unless you are restoring to absolutely original, don't buy bias tires.

Radial steel belt packages stand up very well to impacts, they turn nails better, the thinner sidewalls build up less heat, their load rating is higher (LRD @ 2540 vs. 2335lbs), & they will give a smoother ride due to sidewall flex. Heat buildup also means you will get less miles out of the tire. Those tires would look good on my farm wagon but, not on my Sovereign.

Michelin had a great idea years ago and to the best of my knowledge, it works everywhere except in extreme off road situations where you might cut the sidewall thru. Incidently, I watch my turns very close to not impact a curb with my trailer tires and damage a sidewall.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote