Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
TST TPMS 10% off sale

TST TPMS is having a 10% off sale until July 31st. I’ve been looking at getting a tire pressure monitoring system for a while and this got me motivated to get it now; it was $233 total for a 4-tire system. Use coupon code irv2-10. Here’s where I saw the link: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f256/tst-...ml#post3716455
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
First, use the money for highly reliable tires and the need for Airstream TPMS is reduced to near zero.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you do go with the cap style TPMS, get your wheels fitted with metal valve stems. You have a big blob of "stuff" on the valve stem. If it snaps off you have more than a minor problem .... Once you have the wheels back on, be sure to re-check the lug bolts per the manual ( 5, 10, 20 ,50 miles or something like that) using the proper torque wrench. The torque wrench I already had was a bit to small.

It's not just the cost. There is a bit of hassle involved ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
First, use the money for highly reliable tires and the need for Airstream TPMS is reduced to near zero.
Too late, the money is already spent!
I have metal valve stems and Centramatics. The TST caps that I got weigh in at 13 grams apiece.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
I have no idea, is TST a good product?
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There is not a tire made and available for our trailers or tow vehicles than cannot develop a slow leak due varies causes. The TST and other tire monitor systems allow the driver to catch that leak early and hopefully before serious damage is done. Well worth the money as far as I am concerned. JMO-OMV.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
There is not a tire made and available for our trailers or tow vehicles than cannot develop a slow leak due varies causes. The TST and other tire monitor systems allow the driver to catch that leak early and hopefully before serious damage is done. Well worth the money as far as I am concerned. JMO-OMV.
Weigh $300 and a little effort against thousands $$$ damage to your trailer caused by a tire coming apart.
You can't 'feel' what's going on back in the trailer like you can in the TV.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our insurance deductible is $250, that with high quality tires an unlikely sudden failure would ever happen. If it did happen, the damage will be as sudden as the blowout, TPMS will only advise you to call your insurance agent.

It does advise of a slow leak, which will also be visible when stopping for fuel.

Put the money towards better tires if you don't trust the ones you have.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:48 AM   #9
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
The TST on sale is not big money. It’s not like I’m posting about an overpriced hitch.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Our insurance deductible is $250, that with high quality tires an unlikely sudden failure would ever happen. If it did happen, the damage will be as sudden as the blowout, TPMS will only advise you to call your insurance agent.

It does advise of a slow leak, which will also be visible when stopping for fuel.

1) leak=> 2) low tire pressure => 3) high tire temp => 4) tire failure => 5) a lot more hassle than I want to have while on a trip (trailer damage; going waaaay out of my way to have it fixed; no fun.)

TPMS will usually catch this downward spiral at #2. I'd rather pull over and change a tire than to have #5 is that worth $300? You bet.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
1) leak=> 2) low tire pressure => 3) high tire temp => 4) tire failure => 5) a lot more hassle than I want to have while on a trip (trailer damage; going waaaay out of my way to have it fixed; no fun.)

TPMS will usually catch this downward spiral at #2. I'd rather pull over and change a tire than to have #5 is that worth $300? You bet.
Amen to that Brother! We have caught several leaks due to 'pickups' on the road which enabled us to change tires/get service BEFORE a blowout or other tire failure. One in NV was in the middle of nowhere and no cell service, but we were able to pull over safely and change the tire. Our TST 10 is cheap insurance!
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Brighton , Michigan
Success with 10% discount

Ordered a kit for my AS on Monday, saw the deal on Tuesday, called and asked if possible to get it retro. Got return call today, answer yes, we will credit your card. Can not ask for more, very pleased with the company and their service/response.
Rivet Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Quote:

My Michelins can blowout and have blown out. The tire press monitor system has alerted me to a slow leak as well and that alone save me money.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I have TST and love them. I don't car what kind of tires you have, things can happen. Prepare for the worst and hope nothing happens.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Are we talking the 507 cap system ??? With or without repeater???
Is this system a quality system ??
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I have had my TST 507 system since Nov 2015.

On our first long trip, coming out of a campground, it detected a low pressure event in one of our GYMs. Turns out we picked up a nail.

I refilled the leaky tire with the compressor and drove watchfully to San Antonio. I then swapped the GYMs for Michelins at a local Discount Tire and had them install metal valve stems as well as one piece lug nuts.

I replaced all four sensor batteries this spring. This is a little fiddly; but all it takes is small eye glasses screwdriver and some time. The main sensor unit needs recharging every third or fourth tow. Otherwise I just turn it on first thing when hitching up, and allow it to run to connect up with the 4 sensors.

Very occasionally, if the main sensor/display is not up high on the dash, I may lose contact with one of the remotes. These days I attached a double velcro to a pair of metal clips and slide it onto the rear window visor. That way if i need to look at the temperatures or pressures, I can just flip the visor down. Since I have started to place it on the visor, I have had no sensor drop outs, at all. (Ram 2500 with 30' FC).

I have had no issues with the TST 507, and find it a very reliable and effective unit.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:

I'll differ on that opinion. TPMS is as important as oil pressure, coolant temperature, and battery voltage instruments. Sure, if nothing ever goes wrong, then you didn't need any of those.

My TST TPMS gave me near-instant warning when I had a 70 mph road hazard failure (deep cut from metal object) on my Michelin LTX M&S (at 2 yrs and 20K miles). The warning gave me time to react and come out of the experience with only a ruined tire. The TPMS warning came well before I felt any vibration from the Airstream.

Two years later the TST system (then 4 yrs in service) failed to display data. Changed batteries - no good. Contacted TST and they cheerfully sent a new system at no cost to me - even provided return postage. That is a good company!

I do recommend metal valve stems. I had a flat one morning due to a regular rubber stem which had cracked from flexing. Found excellent service at the nearest Walmart on I-40 to mount HD metal stems and balance the tires for $60.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote