Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 05:23 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Dill TPMS comparison

Do the users of the Dill 1504 TPMS or similar have the same connectivity problems? There are a few users on this website. The size if the antenna looks larger on the dill and it comes with a remote antenna. What are the differences between the TST internal and the Dill internal?
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Even after adding the repeater I still occasionally lose contact with a sender. It will beep every time it cycles thru to the lost sender. It usually will pick the sender back up after a few minutes. Annoying for sure.
MikeB, is this considered normal operation or something that can be corrected?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Michael,
Please call me when you have a chance regarding your repeater. I am available until midnight 7 days a week at 770-889-9102
Thanks,
Mike Benson
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Ted S how is your repeater working? Please let me know
Thanks,
Mike Benson
Old 08-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson1234 View Post
Ted S how is your repeater working? Please let me know
Thanks,
Mike Benson
The repeater seems to have solved my issues. The system was reliable for a four hour drive today. I only temp installed the repeater and at one point I lost a tire. My wife looked back and saw the repeater had lost power due to my makeshift temp install. We repowered it, the system found the lost tire and was solid for the east of the ride.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:33 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Thanks for the update Ted S!!��
Old 09-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
By "airstream guy" do you mean dealer or just some guy who owns an AS? My dealer's service manager did not recommend his stock. I forgot to ask what brand they sell after market. Does anybody know?
Longboard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Without the repeater I was getting an interruption in the sending of the TST unit I have attached how I installed the repeater.
Attached Files
Old 09-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #69
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
This may have been mentioned earlier but if the TST receiver is put to close to other electronic devices, in my case a Voyager backup camera monitor, it may have problems connecting. I put it on the dash, close to the driver side corner of the front window and don't have any issues with reception. GMC Sierra Duramax and 30ft Classic.

I have the repeater mounted in the back window of the truck but other than testing it haven't used it since moving the TST away from the Voyager. Same thing might happen with a GPS unit or similar.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
As previously posted I was having trouble maintaining reception even after paying for and adding the repeater. Mike suggested I move the receiver to a different location, did that, no help. Next I moved the repeater from one side of the battery box to the other. I now have as far as I can tell perfect uninterrupted reception. Piece of mind restored.😎

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
As previously posted I was having trouble maintaining reception even after paying for and adding the repeater. Mike suggested I move the receiver to a different location, did that, no help. Next I moved the repeater from one side of the battery box to the other. I now have as far as I can tell perfect uninterrupted reception. Piece of mind restored.😎
So where exactly is your repeater? Inside or outside the TV? I am playing with mine, I am thinking it works best inside the TV. Not sure just yet.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ted, My battery box is located on the tongue of the trailer. I added a two inch aluminum C-channel extension to the top of the box to accommodate a pair of 6 volt batteries. Repeater is now located top street side inside lip of the extension. Wired to the batteries using a fused two wire plug in.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #73
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Our TST repeater is mounted on the tongue of the trailer between the propane tanks. It's hidden from view by the cover. When I saw where the dealer had mounted it I fretted, assuming the aluminum tank cover would block the signal, but it works fine.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Ted, My battery box is located on the tongue of the trailer.
I thought about adding mine there. But then I figured I would forget to unplug it thus leaving draw on the battery, so then I thought it might be good to be controlled by running light power because I always tow with lights on.

Still playing with it, it seams to work will in the TV. Not sure is light of sight is important yet. I would assume so.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"I thought about adding mine there. But then I figured I would forget to unplug it thus leaving draw on the battery,"

I have just the opposite problem. I remember to disconnect but forget to plug it back in. I was over thinking what is really a nonissue (happens a lot around here) and was thinking about mounting a lighted switch on the outside of the box where it would be visible. I do not know what the power draw of the repeater is but it must be very little compared to other parasite trailer systems. Maybe Mike can answer that one.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
You can mount the repeater in the inside or outside. The draw on the battery is very low. It would take quite some time to drain the battery. Some people put a toggle switch in and then they can easily just move the switch between power and no power. Please call me with any additional questions you may have.
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST 770-889-9102
Old 09-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #77
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We just returned from a trip with 3,600+ towing miles. I bought the TST unit in July and it worked fine. No repeater needed so far as I could tell. This is our third TPMS system—each worked better than the last for a while. First was Doran, 2nd was Tire Minder. Doran worked longer than Tire Minder, but when the sensors died, it cost little more to buy a whole new system. Tire Minder had tire temp., useful info. But as soon as the Tire Minder batteries died at 2 years, replacing them helped nothing, so I wasted money on new batteries. Also, the very thin O rings sealing the battery case on the sensor broke as soon as I opened them to replace batteries.

The TST system seems to provide info faster except for when you are away from the trailer and forget to turn it off. Like mentioned above, it takes a long time—maybe more than an hour—before the alarm goes off. That may indicate a very slow response time for info from the sensors to be displayed on the monitor. Can you explain that Mike? Blowouts and other emergency situations are supposed to be reported immediately, so how does the system know the difference between a very fast loss of air and no signal? Can the system be confused by loss of signal and why does it take so long to set off the alarm for that?

So far we are pleased with the TST system. When we bought it, if I recall correctly, most or all of the packages were for big truck tractors with 6 wheels, not trailers with 2 or 4. I spoke to a helpful person at TST and got 4 sensors saving me some money. Maybe they have changed their offerings for RV's. It looks like the company is going for the RV market. Since we got our first one the technology has advanced and hopefully reliability over more than 2-4 years has too.

I bought the ones with the flow through system because it was the one with the window suction cup mount. There really is no other place to put it in our truck and I like having it right in front of me. I can push the buttons easily too. The display can be hard to read in bright sun though. The company programmed it for me, so I don't know how hard or easy it is to program.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #78
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We noticed the same thing - if the receiver stops getting a signal from the sensors, it can be some time before the receiver starts complaining about that. I guess the "lost signal" algorithm is a little over-optimistic?

This is what drove us to install a repeater. With the repeater in place and toggled "ON" we have a responsive solution that tells us quickly if anything changes.

When the trailer is camped without hookups or stored, we flip toggle switches for the TST repeater and the Voyager camera to "OFF," which makes us feel like we're helping to preserve our coach batteries.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have also noticed faster initial pick up of signal and response time with repeater installed. I suppose the signal output from the 12 volt repeater is quite a bit higher than from the senders alone.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I did a speed test with and without the repeater comparing the amount of time from the initial "on" to finding all the tires with the entire rig in my shop. To my surprise there was very little difference, in fact the longest time was with the repeater on.

I am convinced the repeater improves the reception, however. As I have had it shut off and lost a tire signal on the road, turned the repeater on and it quickly found the tire. With no repeater it would take a long time to find it.