Old 05-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
They say they found no evidence of misapplication or misuse. Putting those tires on a trailer is by definition misapplication or misuse. I'm not exactly sure what that letter means. Did they know they were put on a trailer? If so, the person who wrote the letter chose to ignore corporate policy. I would not hang my hat on that.
The claim form I filled out and submitted to Michelin stated clearly that the tire was used on an Airstream trailer. The invoice which I had paid to JC was included as well. If you carefully read their warranty description on-line, it does NOT say that their tires cannot be used on a trailer. In fact, what they told me was that the manufacturer (namely Airstream) had originally specified ST tires. I told them that now AS was putting Michelins on selected models of new trailers and that it was JC who supplied and put them on my AS as part of upgrading my running gear (new axles, new brakes, new 16" wheels, new tires - Michelin tires).

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #102
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Their getting some good vibes as this gets around. Like Action points out a bit of goodwill included.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Hopefully this is the only incident. If more people report the same separation, then Michelin owners (myself included ) have a problem. Until then, I'm not worrying about it. Glad Michelin stands by their product.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Have run many michelins and never any problems, had 2 steer axle tires start to go bad on my KW and they just charged me for the used tread which was fifty percent....I sure like mine...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Michelin makes exc. heavy duty truck tires as we always ran virgin rubber on Mack trucks and Peterbuilt semi tractors only on tractors, retreads on trailers. Smaller trailers virgin any manf. I have Michelins on my auto and I think they are junk, no mileage wore out and we do not abuse when driving plus they have a severe noise that sounds like drive shaft out of balance or bearings bad, so Michelins for big Trucks very good, smaller tires not for me. Retreaded Michelins when tread out of use then used on dump and box trailers with never a failure. Will never put michelins on my AS.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Michelin makes exc. heavy duty truck tires as we always ran virgin rubber on Mack trucks and Peterbuilt semi tractors only on tractors, retreads on trailers. Smaller trailers virgin any manf. I have Michelins on my auto and I think they are junk, no mileage wore out and we do not abuse when driving plus they have a severe noise that sounds like drive shaft out of balance or bearings bad, so Michelins for big Trucks very good, smaller tires not for me. Retreaded Michelins when tread out of use then used on dump and box trailers with never a failure. Will never put michelins on my AS.

Sounds like a alignment problem,not a tire issue.Check your toe in specs.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Nice outcome.

As for what some mentioned on the use of the tire on a trailer, that is true; however, would it be any different if you owned an Eddie Bauer model that came with the tire/wheel package or had the wheel/tire upgrade done at JC with the Michelins added?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Tread Separation on Michelin LTX225/75R16(E) M+S2

Wha?!

Why would using that tire be "abuse" or "misuse"?

As long as watching rated load and such - how could that qualify as "misuse?"

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Wha?!

Why would using that tire be "abuse" or "misuse"?

As long as watching rated load and such - how could that qualify as "misuse?"

If the manufacturer states that the tire is for passenger vehicles only, and the owner uses in a trailer. Technically they can say it is not being used in an approved application.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
They indicate that it is a truck tire, defining the usage but...
Old 05-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Does defining usage as a "truck tire" mean that on a trailer it is "misuse"?

Seems a marketing thing vs a clear intentions thing?

If Michelin wants good will among TT owners - then that is tacit admission that they believe or hope more buy these tires for this usage...I may reach out in email and get something in writing

Old 05-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just got off the phone with Michelin customer service...learned a couple things:

They do not define "misuse" in the way we are talking about. I was told that airstream likely on their stickers or what not state what is an "appropriate tire(s)". It was also pointed out that in many MoHo's, "LT tires" are indeed used, as well as in bigger stuff "commercial truck" tires.....which if tested and rated and approved by the manufacturer, it is not "misuse".

In the event of "tire tread separation" I was told, it would be "misuse" only if they contacted the manufacturer and were told that those tires are not approved for use in those trailers.

I have not yet confirmed where AS stands on this, but they would have the say...when I opted for 16 inch michellins, it was freely done without any hesitation, so I guess I hope that if I experienced a defect (the customer service rep admitted this is possible of course), that it would not be in the setting of AS saying "well, we do not approve of those tires we put on there for you".

Ill go home and check the door sticker and such too and see if it states the tire info.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #113
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I just got off the phone with Michelin customer service...learned a couple things:

They do not define "misuse" in the way we are talking about. I was told that airstream likely on their stickers or what not state what is an "appropriate tire(s)". It was also pointed out that in many MoHo's, "LT tires" are indeed used, as well as in bigger stuff "commercial truck" tires.....which if tested and rated and approved by the manufacturer, it is not "misuse".

In the event of "tire tread separation" I was told, it would be "misuse" only if they contacted the manufacturer and were told that those tires are not approved for use in those trailers.

I have not yet confirmed where AS stands on this, but they would have the say...when I opted for 16 inch michellins, it was freely done without any hesitation, so I guess I hope that if I experienced a defect (the customer service rep admitted this is possible of course), that it would not be in the setting of AS saying "well, we do not approve of those tires we put on there for you".

Ill go home and check the door sticker and such too and see if it states the tire info.

Do you have scale weight numbers for each axle?

Do you run TPMS to ensure proper inflation all the time?

Those facts would/should go a long way to refute "misuse"
Old 05-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I am curious if you have a tread separation of any kind of tire on a tow vehicle, for example, is the manufacturer responsible for:

1- Replacing the tire and charging the difference in wear from new to what may be determined from what is left of the tire?

2- Replacing the tire, as above, and also be responsible for driving while the tire was having a failure of tread separation, causing damage to your fender well?

3- Replacing the tire, as above, responsible for any damage to your vehicle and if you wreck your vehicle in the process, that as well? Other than your own comprehensive insurance?

These are just theoretical. When a tire begins to come apart on your vehicle, you will notice immediately. When a tire begins to come apart on your trailer, as I have discovered, you have no idea with the standard equipment provided by Airstream.

Tires can fail. Good tires less often than poorly made tires. Why would the manufacturer be responsible for the tire and any damages? Somewhere the owner has some responsibility to recognize a problem, even if it is not noticed while towing the trailer.

I see plenty of 'road gators' on the Interstate. Obviously a common occurrence and many appear to be those of large trucks. If you drive over a 'road gator', can you blame the tire company, the truck company or yourself for hitting the obstacle?

It is not that simple when you begin to think of all the effort to prove that the tire failed, and your driving over a historical landmark made of large boulders created the original damage.

My first tire separation was a Goodyear Marathon 14" tire on my 23 foot Safari. I did not notice there was 'no tire' left on the wheel until I stopped to refuel. I was lucky, no damage to my trailer... and I have no clue to the cause as it was a dirt road.

Goodwill from a manufacturer is becoming a rare occurrence. Goodwill from the retailer who sold you the tire(s) is a rare occurrence. When you find a company or supplier that gives you, the consumer, the benefit of doubt... lets hear more of this on this Forum!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Sounds like a alignment problem,not a tire issue.Check your toe in specs.
Why would you say alignment prob.
or toe in. I was certified mech. and my youngest son certified all welding except under water, big trucks, fire trucks that is special rating, has own garage mech. bus. so I think we no if out of alignment or not. We are not shade tree mechanics or diagnose unseen. Also extensive racing exp. and building same. The michelins that I stated I did not like, driven mostly by 75 yr. old lady. Also Ford checked the things I stated as this was on new auto.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Haha - Im confused where did the little old lady come in?!

Do they go around messing up Michelin tires? I'd better know,mine is that age!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
All the crying about goodyear tires and carlisle and other brands about tread seperation and people going to michelin, now threads about separation of tread with michelin tires. IMO use what you are comfortable with and ignore all so called tire experts. Most seperations are caused by under inflation and hot pavement.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Haha - Im confused where did the little old lady come in?!

Do they go around messing up Michelin tires? I'd better know,mine is that age!
Basics it's her car. She doesn't mess up tires but interior another story. She's from Mo. and like mules stubborn, nice thing she doesn't read my posts.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Basics it's her car. She doesn't mess up tires but interior another story. She's from Mo. and like mules stubborn, nice thing she doesn't read my posts.
Until now...forwarding to her I-Phone What are friends for?
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #120
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Two weeks ago while about 60 miles from Chicago on I-44. Tire did not lose pressure.
snip
Repair was done at JC a week later and the claim process has been started -
with Michelin. Damage to the AS is about $1,200; repair was done at JC.

Will post updates as they occur.
Yop that is classic Belt Separation. Curious...
When did you last do a "Free Spin" inspection as outlined in my blog. I have three poss specifically labeled 'Inspection" if you need a refresher.

IMO it is highly unlikely for a tire to not exhibit external signs of separation for hundreds or even thousands of miles before the internal separation results in the tire coming apart so there is a good chance for people to avoid this failure turning into an expensive event.