Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Trailer TPMS

So I did some poking around and haven't seen a thread about this subject.

I just got a Truck System Technologies TPMS for Christmas from a close friend. I haven't had time to do much research - what are the thoughts on this system? Anyone running similar? Other systems better worse?
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Try a keyword search on TST.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I have been very happy with the TST sensors. I got the 507 because I didn't want to send the sensors in to have batteries replaced. Do not use the flow thru sensors because they stick out too far and more likely to get hit by road debris. You will need metal valve stems.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
I have the TST flow through design. Have 5000 miles on them and no complaints. Easy to put air in tires. Change valve stems to metal first as otherwise the rubber ones will flex and wobble as the wheel turns and probably fail.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Try a keyword search on TST.
Thanks. I did search for TPMS and Truck Systems Technologies.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Thanks. I did search for TPMS and Truck Systems Technologies.
The Airforums search function is pretty klunky. Sometimes it's best to use the Advanced Search function and search Titles only.

In this instance most people use the abbreviated name TST, and TPMS will bring up all the other brands of pressure monitors.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Under Running Gear using TST for search I got 70 hits.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Danville , Pennsylvania
I bought a TST model 507 (4 sensors) for our 23FB. While waiting to have the original rubber stems changed to metal I installed the sensors on my TV just to check it out. They worked fine, but I did learn the hard way not to get the flow-through type. While driving the TV last week in Philadelphia to pick up my daughter on the way to the airport for a Christmas trip to Florida I had to navigate some really narrow 1776 vintage streets. In doing so I must have clipped the curb with a sensor and bent it. Good news was the sensor worked as designed and alerted me to a fast leak. Bad news was I was already in heavy traffic. Fortunately just as the sensor read 16 psig left I managed to find a gas station with an air pump. Pumping it back up to 34 gave us time to find a garage for repair (Mickey's in South Philly). Danny took the offending sensor off (I had not brought along the required Allen wrench) and bubble tested the tire stem. No tire damage thankfully. 15 minutes later we were back on the way to the airport.
I like the TST (model 507) and it worked as advertised, but gained two major lessons: 1) the flow through sensors stick out too far; and 2) pack all the tools you might need (like Allen wrenches) when traveling.
Frank
Fbastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I just posted my youtube review on the TST on Christmas:

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbastian View Post
I bought a TST model 507 (4 sensors) for our 23FB. While waiting to have the original rubber stems changed to metal I installed the sensors on my TV just to check it out. They worked fine, but I did learn the hard way not to get the flow-through type. While driving the TV last week in Philadelphia to pick up my daughter on the way to the airport for a Christmas trip to Florida I had to navigate some really narrow 1776 vintage streets. In doing so I must have clipped the curb with a sensor and bent it. Good news was the sensor worked as designed and alerted me to a fast leak. Bad news was I was already in heavy traffic. Fortunately just as the sensor read 16 psig left I managed to find a gas station with an air pump. Pumping it back up to 34 gave us time to find a garage for repair (Mickey's in South Philly). Danny took the offending sensor off (I had not brought along the required Allen wrench) and bubble tested the tire stem. No tire damage thankfully. 15 minutes later we were back on the way to the airport.
I like the TST (model 507) and it worked as advertised, but gained two major lessons: 1) the flow through sensors stick out too far; and 2) pack all the tools you might need (like Allen wrenches) when traveling.
Frank
Interesting! I was just thinking if I wanted to try and trade in this one for the flow-thru sensors because I do find I have to add air before each trip and taking them off seems like it would be a big PTA each time.

But you've got me thinking it might not be such a big deal vs the risk of damage. And let's be honest, while I rarely hit the curb with my TV; it's gonna happen on a 30' AS.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm concerned that any TPMS that replaces the valve cap must keep the Schrader valve pushed down. So the only thing keeping air in the tires is the device/valve cap.

Would the internal systems be more reliable?
I'm thinking of adding a system. My car currently has the ones that are inside the wheel, but attach to the valve stem.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm concerned that any TPMS that replaces the valve cap must keep the Schrader valve pushed down. So the only thing keeping air in the tires is the device/valve cap.

I'm thinking of adding a system. My car currently has the ones that are inside the wheel, but attach to the valve stem.

You are correct - this is how they work. But they come with a good o-ring and you screw them down tight.

An internal system would be better, but installation cost is going to be higher.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
So first trip with the TST system and I'm pretty happy. The sensors worked great. The battery in the display unit is no joke. I ran a hardwired connection from my center roof console so it could have power, but the unit didn't need it. It was 3 hours driving each way and the unit still showed 100% charge at the end of the trip. The backlighting was a little bright, but better to have it too bright than not lit up at all.

2 annoyances - every-time you power the unit on after it's been idle for a while it has to relink to each sensor. Every-time it finds a sensor it starts squalling at you. So starting out on a trip it's going to squeal 4 times in a row. #2 - it defaults to tire temps in degrees C. I changed it to F and it forgot the next time I powered it up. I'm not sure that is correct operation so I'll keep playing with it, but that's what happened on this first trip.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Just replaced the batteries ($2 EA) in my four TST507 sensors. Had the system about 18 months. Very happy with it.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Trailer TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

Left in place, the sensors on my tires (Michelin LTX) have not shown any difference in pressure, whether with my TST sensors in place (on the road) or removed (in storage), over the last 18 months or so.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Left in place, the sensors on my tires (Michelin LTX) have not shown any difference in pressure, whether with my TST sensors in place (on the road) or removed (in storage), over the last 18 months or so.

So far I'm not impressed with my goodyears holding pressure even before the sensors. Every trip I have to add 5-10psi to get them back to 65.

Common gripe about the goodyears I suppose.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
So far I'm not impressed with my goodyears holding pressure even before the sensors. Every trip I have to add 5-10psi to get them back to 65.

That mirrors my experience with GYMs insofar as persistent tire pressure loss over time.

I put the Michelins on and have not looked back. Obviously YMMV, and some folks have great luck with GYMs.

My change was precipitated by picking up a nonrepairable puncture in my GYMs within a short time (not the fault of the GYMs). However since I was going to have to buy a new tire anyway, I decided to just bite the bullet and buy five (Michelins).
Old 02-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
So first trip with the TST system and I'm pretty happy. The sensors worked great. The battery in the display unit is no joke. I ran a hardwired connection from my center roof console so it could have power, but the unit didn't need it. It was 3 hours driving each way and the unit still showed 100% charge at the end of the trip. The backlighting was a little bright, but better to have it too bright than not lit up at all.

2 annoyances - every-time you power the unit on after it's been idle for a while it has to relink to each sensor. Every-time it finds a sensor it starts squalling at you. So starting out on a trip it's going to squeal 4 times in a row. #2 - it defaults to tire temps in degrees C. I changed it to F and it forgot the next time I powered it up. I'm not sure that is correct operation so I'll keep playing with it, but that's what happened on this first trip.

I have TST 507 sensors on my trailer. My system works somewhat differently from what you describe. When I power on the system in the morning, it does take several minutes for all the sensors to check in, but I do not get the alarms. My system remembers to keep showing temp in degrees F.

My system dates from 2013. I have the non-flow-thru external sensors. BTW, I have changed batteries once. I found it to be a pain, because the O rings are hard to stretch out and install.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:

Good deal. Mine syncs up within 10 minutes or so on all 4. It also defaults to F each time. And I don't recall any alerts from the main unit. It just gives one long beep at power up, then starts rotating through the four trailer tires.

By the time I connect the trailer, the TPMS is ready to go.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:

IMO its unlikely the tires are simply all leaking. You didn't say how quickly the air pressure dropped. 5 psi a day / week / month?

Do you have bolt in metal valve stems? Have you checked for leaks at valve or tire wheel junction with a simple spray of soapy water?
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote