Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 06:48 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
IMO its unlikely the tires are simply all leaking. You didn't say how quickly the air pressure dropped. 5 psi a day / week / month?

Do you have bolt in metal valve stems? Have you checked for leaks at valve or tire wheel junction with a simple spray of soapy water?
Man - great feedback on this thread so far! Sounds like I've got some settings to change on the unit to lock the temperature in F and disable the startup alarms. Back to the manuals!!!

Tireman9 - I haven't been on enough trips yet to pinpoint one tire, but the rear tires do seem to need more air than the fronts. On this last trip when I arrived Friday night they were all showing correct PSI. The driver's side rear did have more weight on it after parking on leveling blocks; and when it was time to leave I started the trip with it at 58PSI cold on Monday. That's a drop of almost 10 (started at ~67) from my Thursday afternoon trailer prep.

I'm generally having to add 5-10 PSI to all the tires at the start of a trip. This time the trailer sat on concrete from Thanksgiving till last weekend without moving - call it 10 weeks.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I chose the EEZTire TPMS cause of the larger display. It has the external sensors. I don't have the metal valve stems, just rubber coated brass. Over 9000 miles and no leaks. Sensors don't stick out past tire sidewall.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I chose the EEZTire TPMS cause of the larger display. It has the external sensors. I don't have the metal valve stems, just rubber coated brass. Over 9000 miles and no leaks. Sensors don't stick out past tire sidewall.
Can the monitor be programed to show 4 tires, or does it always show a semi with 22 tires?

I used to favor the units with internal sensors (like my car), then I realized they must be installed at a tire place, and if you rotate tires the system will read wrong.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Can the monitor be programed to show 4 tires, or does it always show a semi with 22 tires?

I used to favor the units with internal sensors (like my car), then I realized they must be installed at a tire place, and if you rotate tires the system will read wrong.

The unit can be programmed to show the # of tires being monitored, however, the display shows a semi outline. I don't find this to be to troublesome.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
the display shows a semi outline. I don't find this to be to troublesome.
Drat! I posed this question (about the semi outline) to Amazon, and the manufacturer said it could be changed. But I read the manual and the only change I saw was you could override the trailer if it wasn't connected. That was not the default, so you had to do button presses every time it powers up.
Obviously this system was not designed for the RV industry, which may not bother anyone...except me.
Too bad they don't have the semi on an overlay that can be replaced.
It's still the best unit out there for now.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 31' Classic
Southwest Michigan , Michigan
We have the TST tpms on our trailer. I just posted in this forum yesterday about our tire changeover. Some of it includes pictures of my tpms install. I used the internal sensors versus the external sensors, just my preference. We like our system and enjoy the peace of mind it brings us while traveling. Regards, Doug
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Ok, so follow-up post regarding alarms, etc. The default low PSI alarm is 100PSI. Since our tires run 65PSI cold, the alarm goes off at power up when it sees each tire. Easy to set the ranges. I set mine at 50PSI low and 85PSI high.

I also determined (manuals are handy for this) that I didn't permanently save my temperature setting last time. This time it's set and staying.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Ok, so follow-up post regarding alarms, etc. The default low PSI alarm is 100PSI. Since our tires run 65PSI cold, the alarm goes off at power up when it sees each tire. Easy to set the ranges. I set mine at 50PSI low and 85PSI high.

I also determined (manuals are handy for this) that I didn't permanently save my temperature setting last time. This time it's set and staying.
If you are running TPMS on trailer tires the Low pressure warning should be no lower than the pressure needed to support the actual measured load on the tires.

Tire pressure in trailer application should set the Cold Tire inflation to the pressure molded on the tire sidewall.

High pressure warning can be 25 to 30% above the cold inflation pressure
Old 03-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I see there's a YouTube video made by a popular Airstream couple.
They install the popular TPMS on their airstream.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If you are running TPMS on trailer tires the Low pressure warning should be no lower than the pressure needed to support the actual measured load on the tires.

Tire pressure in trailer application should set the Cold Tire inflation to the pressure molded on the tire sidewall.

High pressure warning can be 25 to 30% above the cold inflation pressure

So 30% over 65 is...wait for it... 85
Old 03-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Can the monitor just run on batteries and be charged up later rather than have another wire running to power it.

Does any manufacturer make one that uses blue tooth to give the readings to your phone..

With a camera on the back of the airstream hate to have another monitor blocking by view.

A verbal warning then look at monitor would be my preference if I get one.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
The monitor runs on rechargeable batteries so you can charge overnight and use it with no wire when driving. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Can the monitor just run on batteries and be charged up later rather than have another wire running to power it.

Does any manufacturer make one that uses blue tooth to give the readings to your phone..

With a camera on the back of the airstream hate to have another monitor blocking by view.

A verbal warning then look at monitor would be my preference if I get one.

Dave

I've used it for 2 trips now and battery still shows 100%. Very impressed with the battery life. And I charged it out of the box for maybe 15 min before programming it.

If you set the audible alarms conservatively you'll get that warning without needing to look at the screen.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
So 30% over 65 is...wait for it... 85

Yup you did the math correctly. \
NOTE if you are properly inflated for your application (tires at the pressure molded on the sidewall and no more than 85% of the load shown on the sidewall of the tire with the TT at its heaviest and do not exceed 65 mph ) I would be surprised if you see an increase of much more than 10% to 12%

I do know that some people set the high press warning at =20% and the alarm sometimes goes off. I want the TPMS to NOT "cry wolf" and warn when there is no significant problem. If you set to +25 to +30% and get a warning then something is wrong and need to stop and find and fix the problem.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
TPMS/TST for FC

Just read through the posts on TPMS but: 1) couldn't find a thread that fully discusses the pros and cons of different systems and 2) I'm a total non-techie so I would love feedback on whether I should just book an appt. at Jackson Center and let them choose and install a system for me (which I would specify needs to be easy for the tech-challenged). Lastly, 3) I almost always need to boost pressure a few pounds before a trip, so do I need to factor that into my TPMS purchase? (My tires are 1 yr old, my trips generally around 3,000 miles).
Many thanks.
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
Just read through the posts on TPMS but: 1) couldn't find a thread that fully discusses the pros and cons of different systems and 2) I'm a total non-techie so I would love feedback on whether I should just book an appt. at Jackson Center and let them choose and install a system for me (which I would specify needs to be easy for the tech-challenged). Lastly, 3) I almost always need to boost pressure a few pounds before a trip, so do I need to factor that into my TPMS purchase? (My tires are 1 yr old, my trips generally around 3,000 miles).
Many thanks.

So I'll try to answer all 3 questions:
1 - most people seem to have the TTS system, but you should look at some YouTube videos of any systems your interested. I'm sure there are some head to head comparisons as well, just not necessarily in a thread on here.
2 - you don't have to be techie to install these, just watch the video or follow the manual or both. Mine was very straightforward once I followed the manual all the way through instead of pretending to know what I was doing.
3 - I received mine as a gift. If I was buying for myself I would buy the internal sensors (and may yet upgrade someday). The external sensors are a point of failure that can leak. The regular sensors have to be removed to add air, but they offer pass through sensors to help with that. BUT I would still prefer the internal sensors. You'd want to have a tire shop help with the install by breaking the tire down for you and balancing it after they reassemble. Might find a place to just do the install for you - especially if you were buying new tires at the same time.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
So I determined a slow leak I had was a bad o-ring on a sensor. Anyone tried a little silicone grease to help keep a good seal on these?
Old 04-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
So I determined a slow leak I had was a bad o-ring on a sensor. Anyone tried a little silicone grease to help keep a good seal on these?

Sure. I use silicone grease (from Harbor Freight ) on rubber seals.

I was kind of amazed how stretched the rubber seals were on my TST507 sensors last time I changed the batteries.

Knock on wood, mine seem to be doing ok last two months of use.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
We have the 507 and love it. I elected to go with the external sensors as we also have a boat trailer and a flatbed equipment trailer that we pull on occasion. It just takes a minute to move the external sensors from one trailer to the other. The other advantage of the external sensors is that when you remove them from the valve stem they shut off so the batteries last longer. The downside to the external sensors have already been stated: risk of being damaged, could potentially leak, and having to remove them to add/subtract air. We have had no problems with the sensors or the monitor. Like others have stated we have also been very impressed with the battery life on the monitor.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote