Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
. , Maine
Trailer TPMS?

Now that I have a new truck and with it the capability to take longer trips, has anyone used one of the numerous TPMS kits that I see advertised on the internet and in camping magazines? Are they reliable? I am tempted if only to have the option to see my pressures "real time". Or should I just buy a good compressor (if needed) and stop every 2 hours or so and manually check them?

Thanks!
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Get one that shows temperature as well as pressure. That will offer 2 warning signs of an impending problem, and maybe let you avoid or mitigate damage from a blowout.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
TPMS warns and usually prevents skin / wheelwell damage if you heed such warnings on time. Point is, will you prefer a one time exppense of $200 - $300 on TPMS or $2000 -$3000 plus down time on repairs for each occurrence. If you decide to TPMS, Dill inside tire mount works great IMHO. Happy streaming.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Jared and Heather...I would not leave on a trip without a tire pressure monitoring system. I have the Pressure Pro system and it has alerted me to major leaking of my truck tires on two occassions on the highway that gave me enough warning that I was able to pick a spot to pull off the road before destroying the tire. It also alerted me to a slow leak on one of my trailer tires at a campground as I was showing another camper the system. My system has the sealed batteries that you have to return to the manufacturer when they need replacement. Try to pick up a system that you can change the batteries yourself.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I have the Dill internal mounted TPMS. Monitors PSI and internal temp. Display on dash rotates thru all 4 tires. Temp is a button to read. Warns over, under PSI and hi temp.

Well worth investigating.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
We bought the hawks head system last summer based on recommendations from the forum. Does temp and pressure. We've been very happy with it....
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I have the TireMinder TPMS. Same unit as the HawksHead. It's a little goofy to set up but seems to work very well. The pressure displayed is usually right on with what I get when I use a gauge.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We decided on 16" Michelin tires last year and haven't used the TPMS since. Perhaps not for everybody but here's some considerations.

The original Marathons have a notorious failure record; I haven't seen a report of a 16" Michelin blowout (yet) on an Airstream.

Our tandem axle trailer means we can travel to a safe area to change a flat.

We seldom use our trailer in hot weather.

I check tires/wheels at each fuel stop for condition, heat, obvious loss of pressure. Did this with TPMS as well.

In the apparently rare event of failure and trailer damage with the 16" Michelins, our cost is not really the full cost of repair, but the insurance deductible.

If we don't have a sudden failure, we've saved the substantial cost of the TPMS and replacement monitors. Which in effect reduces the cost of the 16" replacement tires.

They say the monitors don't affect tire balance, but I don't know why they wouldn't. Balancing would have to be done with them installed.

The TPMS for trailers is in the gadget stage of development, compared to the integrated system in our tow truck, a nuisance.

Like most things towing Airstreams, opinions vary.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Both Doran and PressurePro have good reputations. Our Doran has saved us three times in two years, usually after picking up a small bit of steel from the road. We like the piece of mind.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
It would be great if a vehicle that already has TPMS just had four extra channels so it could accommodate a trailer. Seems to me it would be an easy and cheap add on for promoting a vehicle for towing.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
In the apparently rare event of failure and trailer damage with the 16" Michelins, our cost is not really the full cost of repair, but the insurance deductible.
I see your point, but I'd like to point out that it's also your vacation time and potential loss of use of the camper while it's being repaired.

Quote:
They say the monitors don't affect tire balance, but I don't know why they wouldn't. Balancing would have to be done with them installed.
I agree with this. That always seemed a bit odd to me.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We have the Dill system. It works well. We bought it from Tire Rack. Customer support from Dill has been very good. We use a remote antenna with ours to reduce signal interference with a long crew cab truck. The antenna broke once because of my rough handling and Dill sent a new one right away at no charge.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
After having two blowouts in two days and incurring about $500 in damage, we purchased a TTS system which was originally developed for trucks. The system costs $259 for a 4 tire system or $399 for an 8 tire system that can monitor your TV tires as well. It can monitor as many as 22 tires! It has many advantages over some of the old standard RV monitoring systems in that it continously monitors both pressure and temperature and you set individual tire limits for the alert warning system. It also features replaceable batteries which several of these don't (saving the cost of expensive replacements), have a built-in locking system to prevent theft, and are light weight so they don't impact your wheel balance. We used the system for a year now and are happy with the results. Since we have two axles we drove many miles before a state policeman in Oklahoma pulled us over to warn us about a flat tire--that won't happen again with this system. Information on this system is available at: RV Tire Systems - Truck System Technologies, Inc
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Sure they would affect balance, but the question is how much. The Hawks Head sensors I just got weigh 15 grams or just over 1/2 ounce. While you do see lighter balance weights than 1/2 ounce used it is pretty rare. So technically they do affect balance but practically probably not. Since the system is going on the truck and the trailer, I intend to install the system and see.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
Sure they would affect balance, but the question is how much. The Hawks Head sensors I just got weigh 15 grams or just over 1/2 ounce. While you do see lighter balance weights than 1/2 ounce used it is pretty rare. So technically they do affect balance but practically probably not. Since the system is going on the truck and the trailer, I intend to install the system and see.
The TTS sensors weigh 13 grams and that is negligible on AS rims. Since I have Centramatics installed, I could go a lot higher than that but the point is they are light weight and have practically no impact on wheel balance with or without Centramatics. They are easily installed and uninstalled to change batteries or when you are storing your unit for the winter.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
After having two blowouts in two days and incurring about $500 in damage, we purchased a TTS system which was originally developed for trucks. The system costs $259 for a 4 tire system or $399 for an 8 tire system that can monitor your TV tires as well. It can monitor as many as 22 tires! It has many advantages over some of the old standard RV monitoring systems in that it continously monitors both pressure and temperature and you set individual tire limits for the alert warning system. It also features replaceable batteries which several of these don't (saving the cost of expensive replacements), have a built-in locking system to prevent theft, and are light weight so they don't impact your wheel balance. We used the system for a year now and are happy with the results. Since we have two axles we drove many miles before a state policeman in Oklahoma pulled us over to warn us about a flat tire--that won't happen again with this system. Information on this system is available at: RV Tire Systems - Truck System Technologies, Inc
I've just been reading a bit about the TST system. They say their small sensor units (under 1/2 ounce) are OK on rubber valve stems. Does anybody here have experience using TST with rubber valve stems?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I've just been reading a bit about the TST system. They say their small sensor units (under 1/2 ounce) are OK on rubber valve stems. Does anybody here have experience using TST with rubber valve stems?
I have been using TST sensors for a little more than a year and I see no reason that metal stems are necessary with this type and weight of sensor. Their suggestions relating to metal stems pertain to their 510 semi truck system which uses 23 gram sensors. The RV system uses 12 gram sensor which are perfectly fine on rubber stems.

They also include two installation tools that prevent them from being removed from the stem with out using them to prevent theft. I remove thesensors during long storage periods to extend battery life and have yet to replace a battery.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I think you will be fine with the TST 507 system (regular sensors - not sure how heavy the flow-thru sensors are). TST: great customer service. If you are moving to their system from something else, like I did (PressurePro), they will give you a bit of a trade in allowance - just mention it when you call them.

Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Someone above said they hadn't seen a report of a Michelin blowout on an Airstream yet. Well here's a friend's trailer that was damaged when a new 16-inch Michelin shredded. The insurance adjuster said the repair would require replacement of the entire rear quarter panel. A TPMS might have saved the day. We've been pleased with a Doran TPMS. For three years I've had constant feedback on tire pressure. My rule of thumb is to add air if a tire is three pounds low from temperature or altitude change. I'm confident that the Doran will give some warning if a tire is losing pressure while underway or if the tire is heating up from a mechanical malfunction. A TPMS is a must-have accessory. I'd put the Michelins and 16-inch wheels in the nice-to-have category.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	187463  
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
It's a must have. First, purchased the Hawkshead. Bad decision for me. Too complicated. Returned to factory to have it checked out. Still could not get it to work
(Probably me now, I have messed with it for so long, now I have a mental block).

Finally bit the bullet and purchased the "Pressure Pro." I highly recommend it. It is everything that you need and want, pressure and temperature. Installation is easy and in plain english.

Anyone interested in a Hawkshead. You may be able to get it to work.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote