Old 01-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Figuring Tire Load?

hey,
How do you figure the load on a tire anyway? Do you just take the weight of the trailer, dry or loaded, and divide by the number of tires? This is what I assume but want to be sure.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hey Sugarfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
What I have right now is this from Universal Vintage.
I took a look at your tire link and those puppies look pretty good. Let me see if I got this right. Your 60 Tradewind is a single axle. My Tradewind is a tandem. Seems to me those 6 plys should do the job for me. Do I have that right.

I checked out Coker before and they wanted about $200 per tire. As mentioned before Universal and Coker are the same corporation. The Universal Wide Whites are $130 per. Any diff betwenn the tires?

I have this tune playing in my head now:
Sugarfoot, Sugarfoot
Easy loafin cattle ropin Sugarfoot

Do you remember the rest?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Sugarfoot, Sugarfoot

Beginner, I feel your pain with the Berlinetta. It wouldn't be such a deal to me except everyone says, "WOW, the whitewalls are so cool!" And the PO, we continue to stay in touch, he really was proud of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
. . .
I have this tune playing in my head now:
Sugarfoot, Sugarfoot
Easy loafin cattle ropin Sugarfoot

Do you remember the rest?
Ha, I learned something. I checked out Sugarfoot on the web and found it was a TV series 1957-1960. Believe it or not, we didn't have a TV when I was growing up, it was a rare thing only seen at Grandpa's house. I never knew about this series. Sounds like he was an upstanding character if a bit naive. OK, I could resemble that sometimes. Actually, Sugarfoot has more to do with one of my wayward wild child dogs, Ms. Lulu Sugarfoot. Winsome and endearing, makes you laugh but hard to handle, too intelligent for her own good, and you can't help but love her.

But on to tires, and Coker's are from a different mold than Lester from Universal. Coker and Universal are different companies but I got the impression here in Chattanooga that both are holdings of the Coker family. From a quality standpoint I don't know. I can't say anything bad about the Lester's, but I've only logged about 2000 miles on them plus maybe a hundred from the PO. The way Coker explained it to me its OK to take the total loaded coach weight and divide by the number of tires. If your 71 TW wouldn't be over 7000 lb loaded, you would probably be OK if 6 ply is appropriate for your rig. However, I'm not the expert and only can repeat what I've been told. There are far more experience folks here than I.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Sugarfoot

Ok, to rehash,
Your Trade Wind (I said I was a Beginer at this) is a single axle right?
The Airstream has no 1960 Trade Wind listed (jumps over 1960 altogether) but the 1961 lists a dry weight of 3130 Lbs and a tongue weight of 340 Lbs. With the gross weight of 3900 lbs, this would leave a weight on the axle of 3560 (3900-340=3560). Then divide by 2 and you have 1780 lbs max on each tire. Just run at max pressure.
Are you using a Weight Distribution hitch?
Have you weighed your TW. The CAT scales are user friendly.
Beginner
Old 01-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Lets rehash

Yes, I have a single axle. I think I'm using the same Airstream published list of trailer weights you have. I do use the 1961 numbers for my 60 but have always rounded up to 3150 and 350. Maybe 1959 and 1960 are missing because OH and CA could never get it together?? Or they were still in the marketing phase of the TW?

I probably need to revisit the meanings of gross weight, relation to tongue weight, etc. I'm very new at this too. I've been to the CATs with a loaded coach (but empty FW/black tanks) and partially loaded TV. At that visit I had 3700 lbs on the trailer axle, I think 2950 on the truck drive axle and 2350 on the truck steer axle. My guess is that the tongue was about 475 lbs of the drive axle weight. The total certified weight was 9000. That's just a few hundred pounds short of my max GCVW (I think that's the right acronym) even though the trailer and tongue individually is about 20% less the tow capacity. I know, I need a new TV too.

So I paired down what the coach contents by about 200-250 pounds. Some of that came off the tongue from contents stored around the gaucho and some came off the axle area. Then I tried to balance everything and still keep it light behind the trailer axle and heavier in front of it. So if I took 150 lbs off the axle that leaves 3550 which is acceptable with my existing tires. Problem is, I can't carry full tanks and have a low tolerance for weight fluctuations. Oh yes, I do have a WD hitch, couldn't do without it. There was too much activity at the CATs for me to be able to play with weight shifting and unhitching .

Sorry its such a long story. This is why I've been working towards new tires and ultimately a new TV sometime this year (I hope ).

Aluminocentricity
Old 01-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Trailer Tires

Sugarfoot
I wonder what weight axle you have under the TW?
Beginner
Old 01-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
I could be wrong, but I think it is a 5200 lb axle. Its the original Hadco. I just had the springs re-arched last month and the axle checked. Everything was in great shape, was told it would be a waste of money to replace the axle at this point.

Aluminocentricity
Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
More hashing to be hashed out ,
Beginner ,its a 5200# hadco axle ,same as mine in my 60 trdwnd with
12" brakes .The tires are the thing ,and my D range bias are rated for
2040 # each so I only get 4080 # tire capacity .I do believe that 10 ply
may have been used back in those days .We are far more careful on our
trailer loading I believe these days .I do not recommend 10 ply ,too stiff.
but if you wanted to take advantage of the hadco axle ,youd would need
10 ply to carry the weight .suppose you anticipated having 4500 # of weight
in the trailer ,then you would run 10 ply as they would be loaded down
and consequently be smoother .On my old 68 GMC stepvan it had 700-18
bias plys ,it was my work van Dually .If I had a couple of engines in the rear
for replacemant jobs ,it would ride really smooth and the tires then were
loaded enough to be smoother ,designed for the load .Now none of us want
or recommend 10 ply we know ,but there would be a reason if the weight
was significantly increased ,just as many want a higher rated axle the tires
need to be looked at the same way .I have to watch my weight cause I do
carry full water and lots of stuff we like to take along as well .

Scott
Old 01-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #51
Site Team

, Minnesota
The 1959 Ohio model had an overall weight of 3170 lbs, and a hitch weight of 290 lbs. The axle under mine was a 3500 lb capacity Hadco axle.

The dealer sold it with a 7.00-14.5 10 ply spare, but I don't have any information on the factory tires. The original were replaced with 10 ply tires in 1962. All the wheels were solid, no split rims.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Scott, your's is an International, isn't it. Mark, I can't remember if yours is International or not. Mine is not an International, simply a Land Yacht. Does anyone know if Internationals had a heavier axle than Land Yachts, or the base model?

Aluminocentricity
Old 01-22-2007, 10:43 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Oh sugarfoot ,I would be inclined to believe at this point on the question you posed that I did not answer ,sorry ,that the world traveler would likely have
the heavier axle if it was an option .those units had dual spare tires ,battery boxes on the front ,dual water tanks etc , It was very harsh out in the sticks ,and those folks were definately in the widerness in those caravans .
Since both of our landyachts have the 5200 # with 12" brakes ,Im inclined
to think they were upgraded from the 59 models with the 3500# hadcos
with the smaller brakes and wheels .Flyfshrs tradewind may be different
and his is a 59 as well .all that said ,I don't think there was any larger axle than ours available ,5200# is pretty heavy duty already.If we had the lighter axle it wouldn't have the 12" brakes or 15 "tires ,mine had the original split rims and hubcaps as you know .

Scott
Old 01-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
I just took another look at that link (thanks Dacia ) yes you could have plenty of the international options ,Ive got the ogden purifyer ,the 2 hose
carriers ,bowen water heater (didn't all of us ?) double light fixtures and wiring etc. I don't have a 32 gallon tank (international only it looks like)
3 12 volt outlets (don't have those)did have the spare tire carrier on it though.
Dacias got that going on hers now .By the way ,I have no rear end /frame
problems of any type do to the spare on the back of the trailer ,and it was there for 47 years . There also was a really neat aluminum cover that went
with that ,although long long gone .I did see one on a local trdwnd here in town ,but it needed restored ,i wish the guy would have sold it to me ,
but since sugarfoots got the carrier Id have to give that to her too .
wouldn't that be a neat thing to have on your trdwnd .

Scott
Old 01-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Scott, glad to know your rear frame had no problems. As soon as my welder is able I want to get your carrier installed to mine. Those aluminum covers are cool, I saw Herb Spies had one for his 63GT at the Can Opener. It was polished to mirror finish. Thanks for looking out for me.

Marshall, if you happen to have any of the manuals from your coaches it may have info about International options. I think manuals were first printed in 64 or 65.

Aluminocentricity
Old 01-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Trailer Tires

Sugarfoot
I was just thinking out loud.
I can understand why you want to go to Load Range D (LRD) tires. You are really close to the edge.
We were having the same thought about the axle appearntly, so if you do have the 5300 lb axle LRD tires would not be out of the question.
Just replace the 15 inch wheels (at least you would only have to come up 3, not 5) with 31 foot 1980-1989 31 Foot Excella wheels which by the way came with LRD tires. That way at least the Baby Moons would still work (I believe) or see what Andy has avaliable.
Just thinking.
Beginner