Old 01-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Trailer Tires

The problem is not the capacity of the tire (load range D) but the tires ability to resist heat. The higher the speed rating the more heat the tire can build and survive.
Load range E ST tires (80 PSI I believe) will probally survive 65 to 80 mph because at 80 psi, given the weight of the Airstream, the sidewalls will not be flexing very much(thus not generating much heat internally). This in my mind is why GoodYear recommends adding as much as 10 PSI above the max pressure recommended on the sidewall when you are going to be traveling at speeds above 65 MPH. This added pressure will decrease the amount that the sidewall will be flexing (thus generating less internal heat).
You've bought the best, most durable piece of RV equipment available. Why take a chance on tearing it up with tires that do not have the capability of withstanding our present driving habits?
The choice is ours.
Slow down or go to different tires.
Its that simple.
Beginner

Old 01-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
The problem is not the capacity of the tire (load range D) but the tires ability to resist heat. Load range E ST tires (80 PSI I believe) will probally survive 65 to 80 mph because at 80 psi, given the weight of the Airstream, the sidewalls will not be flexing very much.
Beginner
The thoughts that have been running through this thread seem to support not really needing a higher load range tire on my 25' 3500# tandem axle Tradewind. Maybe it would be more appropriate on a MH, a Sovereign, or a big 34' triple?

I think another factor may be driving down the road it is a lot easier to find a tire pump that can pump my tires up to 45# than 80#.

Do you think?

Old 01-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
...This in my mind is why GoodYear recommends adding as much as 10 PSI above the max pressure recommended on the sidewall when you are going to be traveling at speeds above 65 MPH. This added pressure will decrease the amount that the sidewall will be flexing (thus generating less internal heat).Beginner
Do not add more than the max psi noted on the tire! This is max cold and you can expect the tire to heat up which will increase the psi anywhere from 2-5 psi or more. P (passenger tires should not be used on your trailer, ST trailer tires are OK and folks are having good luck with LT in the B.F. Goodrich Commercial 16" tire on 16" rims.

I'm running the standard Goodyear Marathon ST 225-75-16 in C rating and tire pressure is 50 psi. I do have one D rated Marathon mixed in the bunch and have found that when aired the same as the other 3 C rated tires, that tire runs 2-3 psi higher when at highway speeds. A D rated tire calls for 65 psi max but I sure wouldn't run that on my Sovereign and didn't do so on my 31' Excella 500.

The ST tire is rated for max speed of 65 mph and because of this, I do not exceed 65 mph when towing any longer. I have put over 5,000 miles on the Marathons since purchasing the trailer over 2.5 years ago and 3 of those tires probably had at least 2,000 miles on them prior to purchase.

In summary, many have gone to D rated tires for additional weight handling and safety but for our size/weight trailer, why do that? If you have weighed your trailer and it is within the specs of a Goodyear Marathon C rated tire then stay with the C and not have to buy new rims.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Trailer Tires

Marshall
I currently have Load Range E tires (Dunlop Radial Rover AT LT245/75R16 Speed Rating R(106 MPH))on my tow vehicle(1990 GMC Rally STX 3500). Fortunately they have been there for a number of years and replacment is looming soon in their future.
Because of the amount of weight that is on each axle, as determined by the local CAT Scale, I will be dropping back to Load Range D if I can(if there are available), which by the way was the rating of the original tires on the van when I got it.
I plan to go to Michelins.
I expect a softer ride.
Beginner
Old 01-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Trailer Tires

Read this web site:
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf
Says "The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire".
SO, if the tires are fully loaded then go 10 PSI above the recommended max pressure on the sidewall ONLY IF THE WHEEL CAN STAND IT.
This does not give me a warm fuzzy.
Beginner
Old 01-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
I'd heard you could break a wheel apart if you run too much pressure. Maybe that's how he split the rims; the Load range D tires can take a higher pressure than the Load range C tires can. So if he inflated the tires up to their D pressure, then he probably exceeded the capacity of the wheels and thus split them apart.

Is that how it works Andy?

Man that'd be a bad thing to be going down the road and you actually blow your wheel apart!
This I agree with , you should never excede the pressure or load rating of the wheel . I got the impression that what was being said is that going down in load rating would cause the same problem .
Old 01-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I have the original wheels on my 1960. Right now I have 6 ply 700-15 C tires rated for 1820 lbs. at 36 psi. From what I've read, including the original owners notes at time of purchase, this is roughly equivalent to the original tire. With the loaded TW this gives me very little wiggle room on weight per tire according to my last visit to the CAT scales.

So let me make sure I understand this. I SHOULD NOT attempt to put class D tires on my TW UNLESS I replaced the wheels too. To keep my wheels/rims I should look for another class C tire with a higher rating. Correct?

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
I have the original wheels on my 1960. Right now I have 6 ply 700-15 C tires rated for 1820 lbs. at 36 psi. From what I've read, including the original owners notes at time of purchase, this is roughly equivalent to the original tire. With the loaded TW this gives me very little wiggle room on weight per tire according to my last visit to the CAT scales.

So let me make sure I understand this. I SHOULD NOT attempt to put class D tires on my TW UNLESS I replaced the wheels too. To keep my wheels/rims I should look for another class C tire with a higher rating. Correct?
Dacia,
Yes, C load range tires would be the appropriate rated tires for your 24' and the right tire for your existing rims.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Trailer Tires

Sugarfoot
I agree with Craig. Stay with the Load Range C, I is correct for the weight of your trailer.
That being said the rating that seems to be of critical importance is the speed rating. If you go with the ST class tire (as opposed to the P metric or the LT) the speed rating is 65 mph.
Never top 55 mph and you will most likely never have problems.
Get a TPMS and you check the tire pressure under way.
My 31 foot 1984 Excella came with 700-15 Load Range D tires (LT tires I presume).
Beginner
Old 01-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Thanks y'all, I appreciate the advice. I was considering replacing mine with D load range, and was investingating the repositioning of the shocks to allow the wheel well to accomodate. Nope, won't be doing that now.

Aluminocentricity
Old 01-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Sugarfoot , In my '76 owners manual all trailers with duel axles came with C rated tires , all sigle axle trailers came with D rated tires . I'm not sure what was recommended in '60 , perhaps others would know .

If you decide to go with C rated tires and are interested in radials , BF Goodrich has a good tire in their Commercial T/A , 235/75/15 . I am on my second set and have very good luck with them . They are P rated with extra load capacity ( 1980#). The winter tread is rated C , same specs. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Towing with radials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
If you decide to go with C rated tires and are interested in radials , BF Goodrich has a good tire in their Commercial T/A , 235/75/15 . . Good luck.
How do radials handle differently when towing? Should the TV also be radial equipped?
Old 01-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Trailer Tires

I don't know.
I'm not old enough.
I see you arn't either.
Beginner
Old 01-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
Sugarfoot , In my '76 owners manual all trailers with duel axles came with C rated tires , all sigle axle trailers came with D rated tires . I'm not sure what was recommended in '60 , perhaps others would know .

If you decide to go with C rated tires and are interested in radials , BF Goodrich has a good tire in their Commercial T/A , 235/75/15 . I am on my second set and have very good luck with them . They are P rated with extra load capacity ( 1980#). The winter tread is rated C , same specs. Good luck.
My 1960 TW is a single axle and was originally sold, according to original owner's notes, with 700-15 6 ply. So I believe I should stick with C rated.

Its my understanding that radials may not be the best choice for the older vintage coaches, something about the ability to give, pitch, or yaw? or something to do with the spring leaf suspension vs. Duratorque axles? I can't remember exactly but maybe someone in the know can elaborate. Or, that could have come to me in a dream and I've confused it with reality.

Aluminocentricity