Old 05-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #169
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemonroe View Post
We put some 205C 14 Kumho 857 tires on the trailer. They have a load rating of 2270 lbs each at 65 psi. They will only be carrying 1550 lbs each. What pressure should I carry in the tires? The original Marathons were inflated to 50 psi.
It's a little unclear, but is the 1550# figure an actual worst case load on the tire? Or is it the result of weighing the axle?

Assuming it is based on the axle load - I would add 15% to the value to account for the side to side variation, then add 15% to that to add unused (reserve) capacity - and the result is 2050#.

And lastly, I don't think there is much of a risk of the wheel failing due to pressure. Everything I have been able to gather about wheels says that load is way, way more important than inflation pressure.

Then going through the load calculation, the result is 61 psi. Rounding up results in 65 psi - and since this is the max, it would be easy to remember.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #170
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
From what I'm reading the Kumho is just another ST rated tire. Ideally you'd run it at the lowest pressure but I'd check the company website (hope they have one) to see what the minimum pressure is. Run as low as practicable without jeopardizing integrity.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #171
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
From what I'm reading the Kumho is just another ST rated tire. Ideally you'd run it at the lowest pressure but I'd check the company website (hope they have one) to see what the minimum pressure is. Run as low as practicable without jeopardizing integrity.
I believe the Kumho 857 is actually a Q speed rated light truck tire, that is manufactured for both LT and trailer use.

ST rated tires, as far as I know have no speed rating, and are therefore limited to 65mph when inflated to max sidewall listed psi..
Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I wasn't clear on what table to look for. The basic specs list max load 1874 lbs. and 65 psi max pressure. The maximum load is only at 65 psi. Somewhere Kumho should have a spec sheet that shows how much to derate the load for lower pressure. Also, safety factors are already built into these specs. More if it's a LT tire than an ST tire because A) it's considered a matter of life safety and B) tire stress on a steering axle is more than you'll have a trailer tire. So, don't add in additional safety factors on top of the manufacturers spec.