Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member
 
Pacerized's Avatar
 
1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 397
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Charlie. Without looking at your tires I'm not sure what you're looking at, but here is an example of one that I just copied from a tire site. ( DOT OB XO C60 1004 ) You should see a series of letters and numbers something like this and always starting with "DOT" and ending with 3 or 4 numbers.
The letters DOT are slightly separate. Next to this, and to the right is an oval indention with DFB030 in one tire, and DFB149 in the others, these are slightly smaller font size. I guess I'll just trust Windish when they inspect them. I think my axles look o.k., and the PO had the brakes done just a year before I bought it which I have the receipt for. He was getting it ready to use, but had a family crises, and it ended up sitting after that until he decided he had to sell it. I would hope the RV dealer would have advised him on the axles, and tires when they did the brakes, but who knows.
Charlie
__________________

__________________
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #128
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Andy
62-63 MPH is plenty fast for me. Its fast enough to not be a real traffic roadblock, people can pass safetly and with the traffic running 3 to 9 MPH faster than me I can stay off the brake and just cruise.
Beginner
That speed doesn't work, in California.

If you tow at that speed, people in California think your going the wrong way, and want to run over you.

In spite of gasoline prices, the normal cruise speed on most of southern California highways, is about 85 MPH.

Cops? What cops????

The doughnut shops have a booming business.

Our diamond lanes are also a "huge joke." They are for vehicles that have two or three people in them. Ha, ha.........your lucky to see one. Why, you might ask???

Because they go even faster.

Tow your trailer in the far right hand lane?? Here they will pass you on the right hand shoulder.

Safest way to drive in southern California???

Own a helicopter.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #129
Ready-to-Travel
 
pmclemore's Avatar

 
2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,494
Could 030 mean the 30th week of 2000?
__________________
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #130
Rivet Master
 
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 667
Images: 11
Trailer Tires

Dot Code Date:

Prior to 1999, three numbers (030), First two the week of the year 01 through 52. The last digit the last digit of the year, Example 1990 or 2000.

After 1999, four numbers (0300). Again the first two numbers are the week of the year, 01 through 52, the last two the last two digits of the year. In this case 2000.

Your tires were probally made in 2000 and were left overs from the previous year, hense the three numbers. This means however that the tires could have been manufactured in 1990.

See:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...5FRpg75222.htm

Scroll down to Paragraph B.4, Tire Identification Number
Beginner
__________________
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #131
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroot
Has anyone seen this on an airstream before? Any ideas on the cause?
hi dmroot...

didn't want to litter in your 'trailer thread' so i'll put this here....

perhaps the last owner used that trailer for drifting ....

"what's drifting?" some of the old timers may ask...

watch here!

Just Drift - Yahoo! Video

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #132
Rivet Master
 
soldiermedic's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,083
Thanks UWE

Today I ordered my new wheels that can be found here.

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.net...product/AW1504

The load rating was over 2800 lbs and they were only $90 each.

Off to look for tires.

Steve
__________________
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #133
4 Rivet Member
 
Pacerized's Avatar
 
1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 397
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Dot Code Date:

Prior to 1999, three numbers (030), First two the week of the year 01 through 52. The last digit the last digit of the year, Example 1990 or 2000.

After 1999, four numbers (0300). Again the first two numbers are the week of the year, 01 through 52, the last two the last two digits of the year. In this case 2000.

Your tires were probably made in 2000 and were left overs from the previous year, hense the three numbers. This means however that the tires could have been manufactured in 1990.

See:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...5FRpg75222.htm

Scroll down to Paragraph B.4, Tire Identification Number
Beginner
That sounds reasonable, I guess they could be from 1990, but I think 1999, and 2000 would be more likely. The trailer sit in the sun of NM for years before I bought it with the PO not using the trailer much, and not at all for the past few years. Since I'm planning a lot of miles on her this year, and I have the dealer checking out the axles anyway, I'll just take their advise on the tires. For the price of less then $400 to replace all 4, I'd rather play it safe if they're questionable. Unfortunately my hot water heater in my house gave out today, so I'll be shelling out over a grand tomorrow for that. I hope to get a break when I have the airstream checked out.
Thanks: Charlie
Thanks: Charlie
__________________
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #134
Rivet Master
 
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
That speed doesn't work, in California.

If you tow at that speed, people in California think your going the wrong way, and want to run over you.

In spite of gasoline prices, the normal cruise speed on most of southern California highways, is about 85 MPH.

Cops? What cops????

The doughnut shops have a booming business.

Our diamond lanes are also a "huge joke." They are for vehicles that have two or three people in them. Ha, ha.........your lucky to see one. Why, you might ask???

Because they go even faster.

Tow your trailer in the far right hand lane?? Here they will pass you on the right hand shoulder.

Safest way to drive in southern California???

Own a helicopter.

Andy
Interesting ! How do folks get their trailer home from your shop with those Marythons rated at 65mph max ?
__________________
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #135
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
Interesting ! How do folks get their trailer home from your shop with those Marythons rated at 65mph max ?
They have two choices.

1. Take the trailer home during heavy traffic hours. Then you will only go 10 MPH, if your lucky. Then you might get to 80 MPH, just depends.

2. Tow during non-traffic hours. Then you can tow at a reasonable speed.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #136
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
What is my grade C or D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
They have two choices.

1. Take the trailer home during heavy traffic hours. Then you will only go 10 MPH, if your lucky. Then you might get to 80 MPH, just depends.

2. Tow during non-traffic hours. Then you can tow at a reasonable speed.

Andy
Thank God I seldom ran into that dilema when I was in school! (I did not say never).

I currently have D tires on a 25', 1972 Trade wind. I have no idea what it should have on the original rims. Considering that heavier axels (3000) are about to be installed should I be considering new D rated wheels or should I be switching to C rated tires? I suspect the trailer may have had C on it originally, I put the current tires on to replace the crap that was on there and the tire dealer had the ST's I have on it now, on hand from an order that never picked them up (can you say big discount!). The original owners manual indicated pressures for both 6 and 8 ply. Any help would be appreciated.
__________________
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #137
Rivet Master
 
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 667
Images: 11
Trailer Tires

Andy
Define non-traffic hours (from what o'clock to when o'clock)
Beginner
__________________
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #138
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Andy
Define non-traffic hours (from what o'clock to when o'clock)
Beginner
They tell me it's between 3:30 am and 3:45 am, but only if the "on ramp" light is green.

They figure that the heavy traffic by drunk drivers is over and it's a little early for those going to work, that are still asleep.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #139
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel
Thank God I seldom ran into that dilema when I was in school! (I did not say never).

I currently have D tires on a 25', 1972 Trade wind. I have no idea what it should have on the original rims. Considering that heavier axels (3000) are about to be installed should I be considering new D rated wheels or should I be switching to C rated tires? I suspect the trailer may have had C on it originally, I put the current tires on to replace the crap that was on there and the tire dealer had the ST's I have on it now, on hand from an order that never picked them up (can you say big discount!). The original owners manual indicated pressures for both 6 and 8 ply. Any help would be appreciated.
According to the service manual I have, your coach originally came with C's on it. You can run the D's at the lower C pressure with no problem. Most of the time, D's are only about $5 each more than C's, anyway.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #140
Rivet Master
 
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 667
Images: 11
Trailer Tires

Maybe I'll need those 1000 rpm brake drums. At that hour I'm still a pumpkin.
Beginner
__________________

__________________
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LT versus ST tires on a trailer 76Argosy Tires 18 08-29-2014 05:03 PM
Airstream trailer weights FrankR Link Archive 11 10-17-2003 08:09 AM
Trailer wiring & new trucks 3Ms75Argosy On The Road... 6 11-09-2002 10:45 PM
New trailer, old club rally Pahaska Other Rallies & Events 7 07-24-2002 02:26 PM
New years added to Trailer Forum 83Excella Our Community 3 07-08-2002 07:24 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.