Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Bob View Post
Driftless - Our new 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 came with LT tires on it. In the past, I have always had sidewall problems with P metric tires on pickups. The sidewalls are thinner and more prone to puncture that the LT tires. But then again, this might be a function of my actually using my pickups off of the pavement! We do a lot of miles on gravel and dirt roads, both with and without a trailer of some type. Aired up to the proper presssure, I don't notice any difference in ride between the P and LT tires. But then again, it is a pickup. I have also towed a very heavy steel four horse trailer with LT tires on it for many miles over all types of roads with virtually no tire problems. That is one reason that I changed the 15" ST 's on our 20' single axle Safari SE to 16" LT tires. Just my two cents worth.
Hmmm, so you are a tire engineer?
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Arrowstream

Thanks for posting the load/inflation information, but I have some comments/questions on the tables.

1. The Michelin tables are not very useful for Airstream trailer owners since the smallest wheel diameter listed is 16". Most Airstreams are 15".

2. There are letters in parenthesis next to the inflation pressures that are in bold print. These range from B to G. What does this mean?

3. The table lists the load capacity for various inflation pressures. Do you match the load that the tire is carrying to the inflation pressure? For example, if my trailer has ST205/75R15 tires and my trailer weighs 4,280# then the tire load is only 1,070#. So do I only inflate my tires to 20 psig? Or do I inflate to 50 psig where the load capacity is 1820(C) and have some margin? I am confused.

Seems like there is a lot of conflicting information from the folks that should know: Airstream, Tire distributors and tire manufacturers.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
andy,thanks for clarifying my situation.i did the measurements and the tires between the d and e rated are the same size and width.will be taking a trip to oc md soon,and will keep an eye on any sway.if need be ill replace the front axle with the e rated tires before going to fla in the fall.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #24
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
DSRTGRLS,

I rotate my spare. Also, I my Dexter Axle manual it says you can use ST or LT tires so long as them are the same or greater LR for the axle.

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
Hello Dan, the B thru G lettering would be for footnotes (that weren't included in the pdf). I guess I'll have to look further to see what they meant. The pressures given were the minimum required to carry the load, not the ideal pressure. Over inflation will give you a harder ride and less traction. In addition to inflating the tires to the recommended pressure by the vehicle manufacturer, another check that I've done is to wet the tire, roll forward and check the footprint.
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
Ahab, nope, I am not an engineer, just a poor country hick that has towed a variety of trailers lots of miles on lots of bad roads. Again, it is just my 2 cents worth, but I have had very good luck using LT tires on my trailers and tow vehicles.
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
9/16 Plant tour report

Spoke to Chris on this subject yestrday. I asked if he could clear up all this tire confusion for me. He smiled and said "no". We then had a discussion.

AS offers 15" LRD, 15" LRE, and 16" LT as, not a recommendation, but a customer offering. He would not recomend one over the other, but I asked what he would do if he had my trailer. He replied, 15"LRE at 65 PSI. (I'm at 8500 pounds, loaded, hitched and ready to go). Guess I'll move up from 60psi to 65.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Jackson , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Spoke to Chris on this subject yestrday. I asked if he could clear up all this tire confusion for me. He smiled and said "no". We then had a discussion.

AS offers 15" LRD, 15" LRE, and 16" LT as, not a recommendation, but a customer offering. He would not recomend one over the other, but I asked what he would do if he had my trailer. He replied, 15"LRE at 65 PSI. (I'm at 8500 pounds, loaded, hitched and ready to go). Guess I'll move up from 60psi to 65.
15" LRE is your best bet. Good Choice.
streamair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
As I recall - without having a Goodyear chart in front of me - one of the footnotes states that Goodyear does not recommend inflating to less than 45 psi regardless of the load. This was specifically for the Marathon ST tires. Theoretically, at 50 psi (Airstream Spec for my trailer) either the "C" or "D" tires carry 2,150 lbs x 4 = 8,600 lbs. With 900 lbs on my hitch, and very little load transmitted to the trailer tires with the equalizer bars, my trailer net axle weight is right at 7,400 lbs (---checked by scale but weight slip not handy right now.) That leaves a reserve of 1,200 lbs for a possible differential in load from side to side - or due to road conditions. I'm running "D" tires since my last change (5-years back) but still inflating to 50 psi. I'll put new Marathons on ("D") if I head south this winter - otherwise, I'll wait until next spring.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote