Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
TPMS settings

Anyone know the appropriate upper and lower settings for Marathon tires with TPMS? Cold running pressure is 65PSI. TST factory recommendations are 158 PSI based on Michelin standards.
mwilliamsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamsmd View Post
Anyone know the appropriate upper and lower settings for Marathon tires with TPMS? Cold running pressure is 65PSI. TST factory recommendations are 158 PSI based on Michelin standards.
The 158 number is not PSI, it's the default high temperature setting. TST recommends leaving it there.

For high and low pressure alarms I've always heard (an I use) 10 percent under cold inflation pressure for low, 25% above it for high.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
If you want to minimize damage to your tires you never want to run them in overload.
I published this info on my blog a few weeks ago.
"TPMS are primarily designed to WARN of a loss in pressure and are not intended to be your primary source of accurate pressure measurement. In my experience ALL TPMS will have one or more sensors reading a psi or two different than a hand-held digital gauge. For that matter even hand-held gauges are seldom accurate to +/- 1.0 PSI based on the calibration checks I offer at my tire seminars.

IMO best practice is to set your tire pressure as close as possible to the desired CIP (cold inflation pressure) using your personal, master digital hand gauge and then install the TPMS sensors. Wait about 5 min for pressures and readings to stabilize, then do a pressure check on the monitor. You will note slight variation, but all should be within the specified range (some spec +/- 2% some spec +/- 2 psi) You will find that after a few days use you will get comfortable with the pressure readings showing some variation from each other. With a little experience you will get comfortable and know the range of normal variation.

For trailers the pressure on the tire sidewall is the best to use to keep Interply SHear as low as possible.

What I do...
Each morning when I get up, I first turn on the TPMS monitor and go get my coffee. By the time I am done with the 1st cup - about 10 min - all the sensors have sent in a reading. I step through each tire on the system and based on experience, I know if the tires are ready to go as far as being properly inflated. Yes, the numbers vary, but as long as they all are in a range of a couple psi from what I got when I last set the tire pressure all is good.

With the above practice I am getting the "cool tire" pressure reading which is the only reading of importance.