Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I use a Tire Minder, purchased on line from Costco. It has external transmitters that are easily taken off for storage. They work most of the time but I find I am frequently cleaning the internal battery contact points. I have mounted the booster in the battery box. I don't know how accurate the read outs are while underway and am really not concerned with accuracy but am concerned that the thing provides both temp and pressure warnings. I guess it does but don't know. (Michelins) so far the only warnings have been the check battery warnings. Tires all have the same air pressure which is now 77 lbs cold (pressure gauge measure) , down from the original installation in 2012 of 80lbs. Still looking for the sweet spot. The thing seems to be doing its job. Jim
Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Hardly a week goes by that I don't see a utility trailer or camper on the side of the road with a tire issue.
Last Sunday was coming home behind a Denali 5th and the right rear tire was bubbled out ready to pop - at least it looked like it. I motioned the driver's wife and yelled that they may want to check it when possible. That is hopefully what a TPMS would avoid.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #43
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Detection and warning for that type of condition is exactly why I decided to get a TPMS, so I'm certainly hoping so. Received my TPMS yesterday from TST, and am looking forward to installing / programming it this weekend. I got extras for the truck tires before realizing my truck already reports pressures to the dash. I guess I'll have 4 spare sensors in case anything goes wrong with sensors on the trailer or the spare tires. I'm such a Boy Scout!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Last Sunday was coming home behind a Denali 5th and the right rear tire was bubbled out ready to pop - at least it looked like it. I motioned the driver's wife and yelled that they may want to check it when possible. That is hopefully what a TPMS would avoid.
Unfortunately, unless the bubble resulted in low air pressure or high temperatures, the TPMS would not be able to alarm on this condition.

However, a TPMS is invaluable in most tire damage situations, such as a nail in the tire causing low air pressure.

I've been "saved" a number of times by my PressurePro system in the eight years I've had it. I will order a new set of sensors before my first trip this Spring because the batteries are beginning to fail.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #45

The TST sensors have replaceable batteries. In a few years we'll learn whether this feature is "all that."

Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
I have been researching the TST system, and cannot find a clear explanation of the difference between the 507 with "flow through"valves, vs the 507 with regular valves. I presume the flow throughs allow you to add air to the tires without removing the sensors..but would like to have that confirmed. Are there other significant differences? One thing I read suggested the flow throughs stick put more. Has anyone used these on the Sendel rims?
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
NTex, that is my understanding also. I spoke to them last fall when I bought mine, in the end I ended up getting the non-flow through sensors and have been very happy with them.

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #48

I got the TST 507 with the flow-thru valves. You never have to remove them. Just inflate / deflate the tire with the sensor attached. Today I installed and programmed 5 sensors on the trailer - one for each tire on the ground, and another for the spare. It was pretty simple, really. All the various water tanks are empty, so I set the tires at 60PSI, pending weighing the rig before driving farther than the truck scales which are a couple of miles down the road from our storage facility.

I tried to put a sensor on the TV's spare tire as well, but for some reason the valve stem on that tire makes the sensors leak air - I can't screw them all the way on. Two different sensors had the same problem, so I'm blaming the valve stem. I will nicely ask my truck dealer to replace that stem as the car is only a couple of months old. If he says "Not without more money," then I'll offer to go somewhere else for pretty much all my TV service work.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Thanks for the reports. I read that TST recommended to a buyer that he not put the flow throughs on his car ...because they were too long ...but that it was possible to mix the flow throughs on the trailer and the regulars on the car. I put in a call to TST for more info.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Just spoke with Mary at TST and ordered the 507 system with flow through valves. She said the flow throughs allow you to fill the tire without removing the sensor, whereas the sensor must be removed to add air when using the regular valves. She confirmed that the flow through valves are longer ( stick out more) and that some people put the flow throughs on the trailer and the regulars on the TV. Both require a tool to remove ( which is supplied). On the flow throughs it is a little allen wrench that is used to tighten a small set screw. Other than that...no difference, and a matter of personal preference as to which you get.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
New TPMS Order

I just talked with Mike at Trucking System Technology who answered my questions and allowed me to make a decision re: TPMS. I ordered the 507 with regular sensors. He says most Airstreamers seem to prefer the 507 over the 510 for a couple of reasons: 1. The sensors are lighter with the 507 so there is no need for metal stems. 2. The batteries are user replaceable.

I decided on the regular sensors instead of the flow through because they are a bit smaller and lighter so I will feel better about using rubber stems and I think will would prefer the smaller size of the sensors on the stem. Mike says most Airstreamers are getting the standard sensors with motor coach folks using more of the flow throughs (more often have metal stems).

They are having a special this month: bumped the warranty from two to three years and also gave me a 10% discount on the cost. He took my running pressures and is going to preprogram the unit so all I have to do is put them on the rig after they arrive! They will be pre labeled with the alarm parameters already input.
He seems like a very nice fella!
vwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
One More Thing...

Dang it. I knew there was something else I wanted to share...

Mike says I don't need to have the wheels rebalanced once I install the basic sensors. I will be having my wheels balanced later this spring anyway, but at least I feel more comfortable about towing the trailer for a few hundred miles before then with the sensors on.
vwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
He says most Airstreamers seem to prefer the 507 over the 510 for a couple of reasons
I do not know about the sensors and rubber stems but I can say that I purchased the valve extenders at camping world last summer and during my 1200 mile trip (about halfway) I noticed the paint was off my wheels due to a scraping of the stems against the wheels. I removed them. The rubber stems were giving to the wheel rotation and allowing the extenders to scrape.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My HP rubber stems failed at the rim/wheel interface due to flexing after approx. 5000 miles. I'd advise all metal stems for any external sensor system. The alarm did its job and there was no tire damage due to deflation, but it was a hassle that can be easily prevented with metal stems.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I did a lot of research on stems. Bottom line, steel shorties to avoid projection of sensor beyond rim. The folks that sell the systems will say not totally necessary if that's what you want to hear. The evidence says go with shorty steel from the get go and get your wheels balanced with new stems and sensors installed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Rubber valve stems are not recommended for Airstream travel trailers using high pressure E rated tires.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There are low pressure rubber...and high pressure rubber good for 80 PSI. That's what came on many ASes. But the HP rubber ones wil fatigue with pressure sensors attached.

The low pressure rubber are the ones that are not for E rated tires.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
The Airstream owners manual reads "only permanent metal valve stems should be used".
You will find it under exterior care section
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes the HP rubber ones have a metal insert in the upper section of the stem. That is what AS installs as opposed to the ALL metal bolt in type. I personally have never seen a new AS with bolt in stems from the factory.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #60

Went camping last weekend for the first time since installing our TST TPMS. It was really nice when we could get a signal in our TV, but it was inconsistent. We already had a repeater, but I wanted to try a run without it first. We're having the repeater installed on the trailer, wired into the battery disconnect. We run with the batteries active anyway, because that's how our rear camera is powered, so this shouldn't be a problem. With the repeater we're hoping for a more consistent TPMS signal up front.