Old 02-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There are low pressure rubber...and high pressure rubber good for 80 PSI. That's what came on many ASes. But the HP rubber ones wil fatigue with pressure sensors attached.

The low pressure rubber are the ones that are not for E rated tires.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
The Airstream owners manual reads "only permanent metal valve stems should be used".
You will find it under exterior care section

Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes the HP rubber ones have a metal insert in the upper section of the stem. That is what AS installs as opposed to the ALL metal bolt in type. I personally have never seen a new AS with bolt in stems from the factory.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #60
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Went camping last weekend for the first time since installing our TST TPMS. It was really nice when we could get a signal in our TV, but it was inconsistent. We already had a repeater, but I wanted to try a run without it first. We're having the repeater installed on the trailer, wired into the battery disconnect. We run with the batteries active anyway, because that's how our rear camera is powered, so this shouldn't be a problem. With the repeater we're hoping for a more consistent TPMS signal up front.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
My 1998 has the original 15" wheels with a snap on stainless trim ring that extends into the portion of the wheel that includes the valve stem. I'm looking into getting the TST TPMS and am wondering if the manufactured opening in the trim ring will accommodate the diameter of the sensor, particularly with the recommendation (earlier in this thread) to get the shorty metal valve stems. Has anyone run into this problem? Out of curiosity, what is the exact diameter of the sensor and how far down over the end of the valve stem does it sit? If the sensor would fit, it almost looks like the trim ring would support its outer edge and prevent any fatiguing of the OEM valve stems.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:36 AM   #62
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Hi there. You'll have to get detailed specs from TST. I'm just a guy who bought their stuff.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
If I could jump in here with a couple questions....

I will be heading out in the next few weeks to pick up a (new to me) 2013 28' FC. The unit is about 2500 miles away and I'm thinking it would be smart to install a TPMS system right out of the gate. That said, this thread is indicating that TST 507 might be the one to get? Or at least that is what I'm reading.

Now for the money question - i'm assuming this trailer I'm picking up will still has the original rubber on it so I'm wondering if I should be contacting the dealer in advance of my arrival and have him take the unit to the tire shop and have the stems changes or not. Or just order the 507 system and install it when I get there on what ever stems the tires have on it.

Finally - what is the consensus on flow through or no flow through?

Thanks in advance

Doug
Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Actually, in the US the valve stems should be metal. Has to do with the fact that we use light truck tires and inflate them to 60psi. I installed the Dill TPMS four years ago for a crosscountry trip. It allows me to relax more when traveling and it has performed very well. The valve stems are metal. They are not cheap (8 sending units and the display) but they are located on the inside of the wheel and cannot be stolen. Dill provides an antenna that can be mounted near the hitch. I tow with a Ford E350 4X4 van and have had no problem with signal from the wheel units to the display.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #65
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Per my earlier posts in this thread, for which I'm the OP, we settled on the TST 507 system with the pass-through sensors on the valve stems. To answer the question of metal valve stems, I'll quote from their FAQ, located at FAQ |TST Trucking Systems. You can see that quotation below. Meanwhile, I had an email conversation with the President of TST Trucking Systems and he said that it's not necessary to re-balance the wheels of your trailer based on adding the sensors, which weigh only a few grams each. Your call on whether you do that, of course, but it's not absolutely required, per the manufacturer.
Do I need special valve stems?
No, you do not need special valve stems, but you do need commonly available metal valve stems.

The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems.

Most motorhomes and commercial transport vehicles come equipped with metal valve stems. If you do need metal valve stems, they are not expensive; a recent customer had 6 valve stems replaced on a 30 gooseneck racing trailer for $36. They are available and can be quickly installed by any tire dealer.
We're very pleased with our purchase of the TST system. It contributes to peace of mind, in that if something goes wrong back there with our tires, we'll know a lot faster than we would otherwise, and hopefully we'll be able to minimize any damage to the trailer if a tire blows.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for this.... very good information! By the way, did you order the 507 system with the flow-through. Or just the standard 507?

Thanks
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
Per my earlier posts in this thread, for which I'm the OP, we settled on the TST 507 system with the pass-through sensors on the valve stems. To answer the question of metal valve stems, I'll quote from their FAQ, located at FAQ |TST Trucking Systems. You can see that quotation below. Meanwhile, I had an email conversation with the President of TST Trucking Systems and he said that it's not necessary to re-balance the wheels of your trailer based on adding the sensors, which weigh only a few grams each. Your call on whether you do that, of course, but it's not absolutely required, per the manufacturer.
Do I need special valve stems?
No, you do not need special valve stems, but you do need commonly available metal valve stems.

The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems.

Most motorhomes and commercial transport vehicles come equipped with metal valve stems. If you do need metal valve stems, they are not expensive; a recent customer had 6 valve stems replaced on a 30’ gooseneck racing trailer for $36. They are available and can be quickly installed by any tire dealer.
We're very pleased with our purchase of the TST system. It contributes to peace of mind, in that if something goes wrong back there with our tires, we'll know a lot faster than we would otherwise, and hopefully we'll be able to minimize any damage to the trailer if a tire blows.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #67
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Hi, we got the flow-through, as that seemed the most convenient.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Well I went with the 507 flow-through system and the repeater. I installed the repeater in the LP tank area as it alllowed me to wire it direct into the batteries. That said, now i'm wondering if I should put a switch in the circuit so I don't have an issue with the repeater draining me batteries.
Do anyone think draining the batteries will be an issue?

Thanks

Doug
Old 05-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #69
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Doug, love your website. I am not so sure that one more parasite working away on your batteries is going to be a big deal since all the other stuff will kill them long before your booster will have any kind of impact and you will have already taken some kind of preservation action, like camping. I don't worry about any of that stuff because my Solar system fights off the parasites. I use a Tire Minder with a booster stuffed into the battery box. The thing flashes 24/7 but you only notice it at night. One flash about every 30 seconds, like the whole thing is poised for some special action. Like its ready to get on the road and explore. Jim
Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #70
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Abita Springs , Louisiana
I've had the 507 on for 2000 miles so far and love it. Since I have my bambi in closed cover, I took the security casings off so they are lighter and no harder to take off than regular caps for air fill. Like them so much, I put them on my tundra for more accurate monitoring. Is accurate and easy so far...