Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
TPMS - Dill internal mount system

Just purchased and installed my Dill tire pressure & temperature monitoring system for the trailer.

This system is fairly new for trailers. I bought the system from Tire Rack online but, talking to a sales rep. When it arrived, the valve stems were for a auto rim .430 hole. Too small for my 1987 trailer steel wheels. Tire rack quickly got Dill to ship out the .625 brass valve stems, transmitters, & receiver chips for my rims. My tire shop broke loose the bead on one side of the tire and mounted them with out having to rebalance.

Have had a couple issues. (1) The system comes set for 35psi passenger and has to be reset for what ever pressure you want. I choose 65psi for my load range D Marathons. (2) One of my transmitters would not "wakeup" until I took the trailer out for a 20 mile trip. (3) Valve stems are brass which is much preferred to the alum used on car tires but, my concern now is that the valve stems are too long and I will have to be careful and not curb one of them. (4) install. spec calls for 30ft lbs of tightening torque which becomes an estimate with a small wrench. (5) Shop's gauge said 65psi, my gauge said 67psi, Dill's monitors said 61psi so I have to decide who is right. Plan to call the factory again today and clarify how accurate they think they are.
It was great to watch the temp climb from 61 to 67 degrees as I drove the 20miles to activate the fourth sensor.

Tire rack has been very good to work with and Dill factory in NC has been outstanding. When my one sensor would not wake up, it necessitated 2-3 telephone conversations with Dill.

I am leaving for Alaska on a WBCCI caravan next week so I will be able to give you a thorough evaluation this fall.

System is internal to tire(no theft, prank issues) , minimal balance, wheel, hubcap issues. It monitors from 35-140psi and temp to 187 degrees.

Battery life is suppose to be 5-7 years. These sensors go back to sleep when the trailer is sitting and then reactivate at something like 20 miles per hour.

Comes with two antennaes. I elected to thread the remote magnet antennae to the back of the truck along the frame to use the external antennae. Dill recommended the external due to the airstream metal body and recessed wheels inside the body.

$250 delivered by ups.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Sounds like a good system. I use the externally mounted sensors with locking nuts... its nice to have a readout of tire pressure and temp to avoid costly repairs due to blow outs.

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Wingfoot, update please

Wingfoot, can you give an update on your Dill TPMS? I am considering installing this system on my AS.
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321 View Post
Just purchased and installed my Dill tire pressure & temperature monitoring system for the trailer.

Have had a couple issues. (1) The system comes set for 35psi passenger and has to be reset for what ever pressure you want. I choose 65psi for my load range D Marathons. (2) One of my transmitters would not "wakeup" until I took the trailer out for a 20 mile trip. (3) Valve stems are brass which is much preferred to the alum used on car tires but, my concern now is that the valve stems are too long and I will have to be careful and not curb one of them. (4) install. spec calls for 30ft lbs of tightening torque which becomes an estimate with a small wrench. (5) Shop's gauge said 65psi, my gauge said 67psi, Dill's monitors said 61psi so I have to decide who is right. Plan to call the factory again today and clarify how accurate they think they are.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have used this system for a while with satisfactory results. See
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...s-62214-5.html

In (4) above, I believe that the torque specification is 30 inch-pounds, not ft-pounds. If you used 30 ft-pounds, then you might well damage the transmitters.

In (3) above, I have not experienced this problem on our rims.

In (5) above, you will almost never get agreement between the transmitters and your favorite tire pressure gauge. These systems, including your favorite hand held tire pressure gauge, do not have this degree of accuracy.

I have evolved along the following lines. I set my tire pressure at the beginning of a trip (using my hand held gauge), and note the four Dill TPMS readings at this point. Through out the remainder of trip, I do not check my tire pressure with my hand held gauge. Rather, I monitor the Dill readings, and, as long as they are consistent with my initial readings, I continue on.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I have Dill also, one thing that I didn't see mentioned is the internal temperature monitoring. We're getting PSI and Temp monitoring from the same system and the temp is internal.

The only thing that I'm not crazy about is the amount of dash space my glass mount uses, could be a bit smaller mounting, maybe thay have changed it.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Yamhill , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321 View Post

This system is fairly new for trailers. I bought the system from Tire Rack online but, talking to a sales rep. When it arrived, the valve stems were for a auto rim .430 hole. Too small for my 1987 trailer steel wheels. Tire rack quickly got Dill to ship out the .625 brass valve stems, transmitters, & receiver chips for my rims. My tire shop broke loose the bead on one side of the tire and mounted them with out having to rebalance.

It was great to watch the temp climb from 61 to 67 degrees as I drove the 20miles to activate the fourth sensor.

Tire rack has been very good to work with and Dill factory in NC has been outstanding. When my one sensor would not wake up, it necessitated 2-3 telephone conversations with Dill.

I am leaving for Alaska on a WBCCI caravan next week so I will be able to give you a thorough evaluation this fall.

System is internal to tire(no theft, prank issues) , minimal balance, wheel, hubcap issues. It monitors from 35-140psi and temp to 187 degrees.

Battery life is suppose to be 5-7 years. These sensors go back to sleep when the trailer is sitting and then reactivate at something like 20 miles per hour.

Comes with two antennaes. I elected to thread the remote magnet antennae to the back of the truck along the frame to use the external antennae. Dill recommended the external due to the airstream metal body and recessed wheels inside the body.

$250 delivered by ups.
Curioius how you are doing with your Dill TPMS system. I am looking at them now in 2016 and wondering if you still like them and how they are performing.
Rob Edgerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I have no reason not to use Dill TPMS at my next tire change. With the michelins I just might get to check battery life cause the michelins are doing just fine.

I have disc brakes and last fall the system showed one wheel internal temp higher than others. Pulled over and checked with IR temp gun to confirm. Hotter.

Due to slightly dragging disc brake. Fixed in parking lot, completed trip.

Avoided bigger problems.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #8
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Very satisfied with the Dill TPMS. Installed it on my '12 28' Intl CCD, and also on my '15 Classic. I did have a question and called Dill....great folks to work with, and really stand behind their product. I also purchased mine from Tire Rack. Very good folks to deal with. Just put new Michelin's on my '14 Ram 2500....bought them from Tire Rack as well.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
So to confirm. You cannot set the warning pressure but have to change sensors?
and sensors only come pre-set to specific pressure? What pressures are available?

I would not worry about a couple psi variation in the TPM reading. After all these systems are to warn of pressure loss.

If your Dill system is a "65 psi" system at what pressure with the Low pressure warning go off? Does your system have an early warning level? ie a Rapid or Quick air loss warning so it warns when pressure drops a few psi in a couple of minutes down from the high hot pressure?
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dill Warning Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
So to confirm. You cannot set the warning pressure but have to change sensors?
and sensors only come pre-set to specific pressure? What pressures are available? ...
On my Dill TPMS system, one puts air in the tires until one reaches the desired cold pressure. Next, one tells the system that this is the tire pressure that one desires. I forget the exact button sequence that does this calibration.

The system will then alarm at a fixed percentage below this set point and at a fixed percentage above this set point. I do not have these percentages available to me at the moment.

One does not have to change the sensors to set a new target air pressure.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Installed them along wth the Michelin tires on both the 2014 31' Classic (16") and 2015 23D International Serenity (15"). Also installed Centramatic wheel balancers. The systems work for us.

Only caveat is make sure the tire installer marks on the outside of the tire the letter of the sender so the receiver chips can be installed into the proper slots of the display by the owner.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote