Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Stow , Massachusetts
Tpms?

Any recommendations for a tire pressure monitoring system?
Thanks.
comeonletsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes, we have run our factory GYM tires for a couple of years without TPMS, and then used the TPMS money saved to help pay for installation of better tires.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
We have the EezTire T515 SYSTEM and have been happy with it. We also have Goodyear Marathons so considering the stories about these tires it is reassuring to monitor both pressure and tire temperature. Both will increase as we travel so I watch for inconsistency between the four tires as an indication of impending doom - at least that's my theory.

We are borrowing this system from my son-in-law so I haven't reasearched the Eeez system against any other brand but it has worked well for us.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I went with Truck Systems technologies TMPS. I have the sensors on the outside. It is recommended that you use steel valves with this system. It is one of their least expensive. I was changing the tires on my AS so I had them add the steel valves.

The system measures pressure and temperature and works very very well. Don't leave home without it. Peace of mind in a box.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Is anybody using a signal booster? I've read the sensor signal can be disrupted by the aluminum skin.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Is anybody using a signal booster? I've read the sensor signal can be disrupted by the aluminum skin.
A competent retailer should be able to advise if/when you will need a "repeater" or "signal booster".
WHile I don't need a booster, I have heard my dealer advise that in all probability the aluminum is shielding the signals. That coupled with the distance can cause dropped signals which we do not want.

I bought Tire Traker and have been happy with features (morning reset) and Lifetime warranty.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Signal Booster?

Quote:
Can anyone address this question? We would like to install a sensor system, and would like to find out if we need to look at ordering a booster, some mfg's talk like the aluminum body could causes some issues to receiving a signal.

thanks
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I have the Dill Trailer internal TPMS and use their provided external antenna. I put the antenna in the rear cargo area of my SUV TV and works 100%. Without the external antenna I get good connection to 3 wheels and the 4th one is inconsistent so I went external. The external is included in the kit.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Tst tpms

Quote:
I use the TST TPMS system and it works perfectly for my 25' TT without needing a booster. I purchased five sensors which includes one for the spare tire. (If I ever need the spare I want to know that it is fully inflated.)
Old 10-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I have a older Tireminder TMG400 and it had worked well up to last year when the internal battery charging started to fail. I have to bring the unit in to charge it on a power supply at a voltage lower than normal to keep it from overheating, that will get me through a weekends wanderings.
I contacted the company and the only solution is to buy a new unit. They do not repair the older ones.
For now, I will MacGuiver through the problem, but beware if you go that route, even if they work good for you.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Quote:
I have the Dill TPMS system and was having occasional signal loss so I got their signal booster. Works perfectly. I'm thinking I'll get more life out of the sensors now as they get weak I'll still get information from them. I placed the pick up antenna for the booster on the front of the front axel.

I have a Ram MegaCab which is pretty long with a shell on the bed so I had put the external antenna near the tailgate. With the signal booster mounted on the hitch 'A' frame I have a strong signal at all times.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The TST seems to be reliable and popular. I just wish it didn't display a semi tractor and trailer all the time.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
I use a signal booster with my Hawkshead TPMS. When I bought it, I rad the literature and specs and it sounded as though my our truck and 31 ft trailer, plus the extra length of the Hensley might be putting it in the marginal distance zone.

I found that when the sensor batteries were brand new, They are the sensors that screw onto the valve stems with replaceable batteries) there was no need for the booster bat as the batteries aged, it was needed.

Last trip we made, I couldn't understand why I was getting no signals - I had checked the batteries and they all seemed fairly good when measured with a voltmeter.

I then realised I had not plugged in the repeater, did so, and all was fine for the rest of the trip.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Mollysdad, when you set up the monitor you will only see the tires you have the sensor on, not all 22 options.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
When shopping for a TPMS I suggest you get a system with
Lifetime Warranty
A web site for the TPMS company rather than buying from eBay or Amazon as you need to be able to get to someone that knows something about TPMS and RV rather that a simple warehouse.

For settings on multi-axle trailers I suggest
Low pressure warning at tire sidewall pressure - 10%. You will only get a 10% drop if you have a leak or the temperature drops 50 °F overnight and if it does drop that much you should be toping off the pressure anyway.

Don't bother with changing the High Temp setting as 158°F is a good number.

High pressure warning would be tire sidewall +10 to 20%. Your pressure increase is only 2% for 10F and a properly loaded & inflated tire not running over speed (65 to 75 mph MAX in RV application) should not see more than +50F unless something is wrong.

If you have a Motorhome my suggestions are slightly different as your cold inflation is not the tire sidewall psi but is based on measured loading. I have covered that in my blog on RV Tire Safety.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Mollysdad, when you set up the monitor you will only see the tires you have the sensor on, not all 22 options.
I know, but don't you have to look at the outline of a tractor trailer all the time?
I know you can disconnect the trailer, but you have to do it every time you power up the unit.
I wish* TST would make the outline a screen overlay, so you could select, tractor trailer, camper trailer, motorhome, etc. The tires could remain the only video image.

UPDATE: I see that TST has a new color monitor that promises new features. Is it possible they heard me? Too soon to tell, Google doesn't have much to report. TST doesn't show specifics yet.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #17
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I know, but don't you have to look at the outline of a tractor trailer all the time?
I know you can disconnect the trailer, but you have to do it every time you power up the unit.
I wish* TST would make the outline a screen overlay, so you could select, tractor trailer, camper trailer, motorhome, etc. The tires could remain the only video image.

UPDATE: I see that TST has a new color monitor that promises new features. Is it possible they heard me? Too soon to tell, Google doesn't have much to report. TST doesn't show specifics yet.
When I look at the monitor I see the TV (no monitors) and Airstream (two axles and the four wheels + the spare.)
Old 11-12-2017, 02:53 AM   #18
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
When powered up, all I see are the 4 tires I have sensors on. My truck has onboard monitors built in so I didn’t have to put sensors on those. I check my spare tire regularly but don’t have a sensor placed on it. I have found that the system is very users friendly. Hopefully I will never see a warning that I have pressure loss or rapid temp increase....come to think of it I don’t know if the sensors on my particular device measure temp, just pressure.
Since I am still new to all things Airstream and towing, I have found that having the TPMS in use it reminds me to actually check my tire pressure manually much, much more often than I have ever done before.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Just when I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the TST TPMS with external sensors, I thought, "If I have to unmount the tires to add metal valve stems, why not just go to internal sensors like the Dill system, and be good for 5 years?"

Opinions?
One, the Dill monitor is hard to read?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
When I look at the monitor I see the TV (no monitors) and Airstream (two axles and the four wheels + the spare.)
I must be going senile. I think my OCD is causing me to dislike the TST image, more than most folks.
TST monitors:
B&W and color. I can't un-see a truck with a trailer.
In the color version, the trailers tires are all on the front half.
(Yes, I know, the tires only show with the sensors)
Don't you see a semi tractor with mirrors and a trailer?

But, I've concluded that the TPMS sellers all buy their monitors from the same factory in China, so changing the display is not an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-Car-TPMS-with-6-pcs-External-Sensors-Truck-Trailer-RV-Bus-Miniat.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	298888  
Attached Images