Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #57
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrel509 View Post
Gosh! I haven't posted here for a while and need to catch up!
First question: Nature of tire failure - I don't have any pics right now but I'll post when I can take some. 60psi per AS manual on all tires. Tread separated two different ways - one bulged out the sidewall and all the others blew a bubble under the tread. At some point the bubble just split or popped and my TPMS started screaming. Each time I pulled over very quickly (envisioning the tire flying apart and causing damage) in time to hear loud hissing noises. Was it a blowout? It didn't go "bang" if that's what you mean. Each time the "bubble" had all the rubber worn off and a split in the tire where the air got out.
Next - My TPMS does consist of the round sensor hanging off the stem. I can see where it has touched the wheel a bit. My truck stems are all metal and there is no evidence of movement.
I'm in the process of changing to the 16" wheels and tires. I purchased a set of the Sendel wheels and have installed metal stem already. I'm now looking at tires but don't intend to drop $1000 on a set of the Michelins. There seem to be a several good brands out there with the exact same specs at half the price. I'm still looking.
From your description, you likely had a "belt leaving belt separation", more commonly called a "tread separation".

If you had more than one, then you need to do some homework: Weigh the trailer.

Weight the trailer fully loaded - including full water tanks and everything you can possibly think of. You are looking for a worst case.

Weigh each tire individually if you can. If you can't add 10% to the axle values, and 15% if you weighed both axles together.

I think tires should NOT be loaded higher than 85% of their rated values.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #58
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
From your description, you likely had a "belt leaving belt separation", more commonly called a "tread separation".

If you had more than one, then you need to do some homework: Weigh the trailer.

Weight the trailer fully loaded - including full water tanks and everything you can possibly think of. You are looking for a worst case.

Weigh each tire individually if you can. If you can't add 10% to the axle values, and 15% if you weighed both axles together.

I think tires should NOT be loaded higher than 85% of their rated values.
I completely agree.