Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
TowMax Tires

Greetings. Next week I pick up my new AS but I have to get tires as it is an '06 model with bubbly tires. I am seriously looking at Power King Towmax STR E rated tires 2490 lbs at 80psi. What say all of you on that brand? The choices are slim unless I buy rims and I do not really want to do that. It would seem that the 10 ply would be advantageous over the 8ply.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I got a price of $129.47ea. on Towmax balanced, mounted and installed. Also, do you have to get the spare too?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Also, is it ok to use the E load tires on the airstream stock wheel. It states on the Tomax website that the wheel has to be rated for the extra psi.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
As I mentioned before, I've been pleaed with the Towmax and will buy them again. Regarding your load range E vs. D question I believe that more information is required in order to get a valid answer. I'm not an expert but here are some of the basics... The rating of the tire should be consistant with the requirements of the application. In other words, how much does the AS weigh an how many tires does it use? Using a tire that is "overrated" could damage the AS according to some of the experts on this forum. It makes sense to me if you consider that the sidewall (stiffness) is actually is part of the suspension. An incorrectly rated tire will likely not be at the correct air pressure for the load which could affect tire temp and wear. Regarding your last post, if the stock wheel wasn't intended for it, I think you have you answer.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
E rating

Hmm. I would think that the better load rating would be beneficial for tire stress. I have/will have a two axle trailer with 15" wheels with stock rims. I am not sure if the stock rims are rated for the extra psi pressure as Towmax says to check for on their website. The D rated tires are cheaper and the application calls for D rated or better. The trailer is the 7300 GWVR I believe.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Also, is it ok to use the E load tires on the airstream stock wheel. It states on the Tomax website that the wheel has to be rated for the extra psi.
Rod,
Depends on which wheel you have.

The spec's for each model is stamped on the inside of the wheel.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08108.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	151242   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08110.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	151243  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would go with 235/75-15 XL rated car and light truck radials. They are slightly wider and taller than a standard 225 15 inch tire. These tires are rated at 50psi at about 2000lbs each. Many of us are running them and have had very few problems.

Perry
Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Rod,
Depends on which wheel you have.

The spec's for each model is stamped on the inside of the wheel.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Ok, I know this probably sounds stupid but I don't see any specs like that on any of my wheels. When you say inside, do your really mean inside, like I need to crawl under the wheels to access that info.

Thanks, Bob!!!

Kelly
Old 02-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds View Post
Ok, I know this probably sounds stupid but I don't see any specs like that on any of my wheels. When you say inside, do your really mean inside, like I need to crawl under the wheels to access that info.

Thanks, Bob!!!

Kelly
Kelly,

Yep....crawl.

Just so you know

This is the outside...

This is the inside...

Sorry

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would go with 235/75-15 XL rated car and light truck radials. They are slightly wider and taller than a standard 225 15 inch tire. These tires are rated at 50psi at about 2000lbs each. Many of us are running them and have had very few problems.

Perry
I agree with Perry.
Those of us who tow in hot weather are fed up with ST tires.
GYM, Tow Crap, Heavy Hauler, No Name, the brand doesn't make any difference. The problem is ST tires. They are made to run at 65 mph or less and under 100 degrees. They will blow and possibly rip up your trailer if you run all day on the freeway when it is hotter than hell. You can check your tire pressure every half an hour and put centramics or whatever they call them to balance your wheels and it doesn't make any difference at all.
I ran Maxxis E's on my 6300 gvw 25 Safari. They did last three years before they blew up also. Meanwhile they beat me and the trailer up. At 80 lbs of pressure, they ride rough!
I have Michelin P 235 75 XL tires and they ride smooth and I don't have to worry if the Airstream gets up to 67 mph going down a steep hill. They are rated for about 2100 pounds a piece so there is enough load range for your 7300 gvw trailer. They are speed rated for 100 mile per hour and in excess of 100 degrees.
Don't take my word for it. Search the archives. There are hundreds of blown up ST tire posts.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
The Michelin P 235 75 XL sound promising. Does anyone have a long term report on these?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I agree with Perry.
Those of us who tow in hot weather are fed up with ST tires.
GYM, Tow Crap, Heavy Hauler, No Name, the brand doesn't make any difference. The problem is ST tires. They are made to run at 65 mph or less and under 100 degrees. They will blow and possibly rip up your trailer if you run all day on the freeway when it is hotter than hell. You can check your tire pressure every half an hour and put centramics or whatever they call them to balance your wheels and it doesn't make any difference at all.
I ran Maxxis E's on my 6300 gvw 25 Safari. They did last three years before they blew up also. Meanwhile they beat me and the trailer up. At 80 lbs of pressure, they ride rough!
I have Michelin P 235 75 XL tires and they ride smooth and I don't have to worry if the Airstream gets up to 67 mph going down a steep hill. They are rated for about 2100 pounds a piece so there is enough load range for your 7300 gvw trailer. They are speed rated for 100 mile per hour and in excess of 100 degrees.
Don't take my word for it. Search the archives. There are hundreds of blown up ST tire posts.
So how much room do I need to measure for to make sure I can put the 235 75 XL tires on? I know, I know, I have read so many tire threads since I decided to put new tires on. What's a person to do????? I can't afford to upgrade to the 16" wheels and tires right now so I'm going to stick with the 15 ". I originally thought I would just put the bias ply tires on because of so many blowouts ripping up the trailers but my tire guy said don't do it, as well as so many on the forum. I can't imagine what I would do without all this the great help!:
Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

They fit with room to spare on my 2004 25 Safari. I had plenty of room to change a tire myself when I ran over a screw.
There is very little difference in size between a the 225 which came stock and the 235 radial.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
They fit with room to spare on my 2004 25 Safari. I had plenty of room to change a tire myself when I ran over a screw.
There is very little difference in size between a the 225 which came stock and the 235 radial.
Wow, thanks for that great info. Which brand of tire did you buy?

Kelly