Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2003, 07:23 PM   #1
pap

Towmaster Tires

Here is another brand that has been mentioned to me for travel trailer use. I have not been able to find much about them,such as;
Are the tires made in America? Where?
Is the company (including parent) American owned?

Nationwide dealer organization?
warranty details?

Do any members know anything about these tires.
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Airstream has spent a lot of money researching tires.

It's difficult to understand why someone wants to reinvent the wheel.

Staying with "proven brands" is the best recommendation anyone could have.

Unless someone is shopping for price alone and is not interested in quality or safety.

But then if quality and price is not the issue, why buy an Airstream?

But someone said, "repairing an Airstream with K-Mart parts will eventually lead to regretting that choice."

It's almost spring, but old fruit for a new thought.

Towing "SAFETY" should never be compromised, especially when life is involved.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:06 PM   #3
pap

WHOA Andrew !

Andy pal...WHOA... what in the world does that reply mean?
What tire brands do you sell?

If you know something specific about Towmaster or any other brand that puts anyones life at risk you should have the decency to state it. Are you saying that Towmaster is a K-Mart owned brand?

I am disappointed that you think my or any member's asking honest questions is "Reinventing the Wheel" I also think insulting the shopping habits of folks trying to save a buck is out of line. I would bet that you drive a pretty hard line and figure with a sharp pencil when spending your millions as well.

Since Airstream has spent alot of money researching tires then where is the data? Have they put it into a report for their loyal followers?
Surely they would share it if it is a safety matter...wouldn't they? And maybe even for a very small fee.

I am not sure whether your odd reply is an attempt to embarass or demean me or others, but I am sure that you did not tell us the "gospel" as to which tire you and Airstream think we should all purchase. Are you saying that Towmaster is not a "proven brand", whatever that means?? (Many folks thought for years that Firestone was a "proven" brand of tire).

Over the years hasn't Airstream used different brands of tires?
Old 04-04-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Spare

We are in the market for a spare tire for our Argosy. I would be interested in knowing the names of any reliable brands used on AS trailers. Wouldn't mind knowing a cost basis for each either as I too like to save a buck where I can ( to spend on another area of AS of course!) Thanks, Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 03:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream uses Goodyear Marathons exclusively, and have for several years.

Those of us with older trailers have sizes which do not correspond directly with the Marathons. And some of us still prefer bias ply for use on trailers. Staying with the size and tire construction that our trailers came with originally does not constitute "reinventing the wheel".

There is also other good brands of tires out there. I'll not mention any as I do not want to start a brand X vs. brand Y war. And it is perfectly reasonable for people to choose those brands for reasons of dealer service, brand loyalty, and even price. I know in my own case that my local Goodyear dealer would sell me a set only with extreme reluctance. He had some bad experiences that soured him on the line. So I went to another brand.

Having said all that, for good or bad the Marathon is the trailer tire by which others are judged. They had a design flaw a couple of years ago which caused some premature failures, but since then they seem to be as good as any trailer tire made, and better than most.

Andy's frustration is quite understandable. The issue of "what tires" comes up again and again, and the SAFE answer is always Marathons. As a dealer, he sees problems all the time caused by someone trying to save a few bucks - and it really is just a few - by putting on some house brand, or worse, a passenger car tire. He takes the view that a good product is available, the price is not much more than the alternatives, why not use it?

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Mark

Well said.

My sentiments exactly.

Having serviced Airstream for over 37 years, and being a special representative to the old Caravanner Insurance Company has given me the exposure to many of the seemingly innocent choices of parts that some owners choose to do.

But, all too many times, failures occur, then it's not their fault.

The rule is simple. If Airstream uses it, it must be good. If someone differs with that, then that is certainly their choice. Not always a wise one but still their choice.

Airstream doesn't need to publish any data on the components they use. If someone, and usually for price, differs with that, so be it.

But suggesting those changes to others becomes a huge liabilty for a dealer.

We have always suggested that owners stay with the proven. If they don't want to that's their business.

When it comes to safety, it's the new comer that can be swayed, into perhaps something thats not safe, by someone promoting their own idea. That is the person I am concerned about.

We promote Airstreams idea's. They have worked for over 60 years. That's not putting anyone down. It's just facts, and huge one's at that.

This discussion can go on and on. We will not reply to any other posts on this subject.

We do not have to defend to anyone what we sell, to prove a point.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-04-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Exclamation save a few and spend a lot!

hi gang,

if your thinking of saving a few bucks on tires, read this before you get the check book out.

a tale of woe

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:46 PM   #8
pap

Thumbs down Another thread sidetracked

I am amazed!

john hd I visited your link, thanks. I had seen that before and do not exactly know what it has to do with this thread though. member DMReilly plainly states that he was using used tires. He did not mention that it was a Towmaster but a Goodyear. Other posters to your link mentioned trouble with Goodyear Marathons,. Your friend Andy chimed in and did not accuse anyone of being on a ego trip or of being a spendthrift or tightwad. Davidz71 mentioned Carlisle tires and no one said he was reinventing the wheel did they.

I know nothing about Towmaster tires, that is why I started this thread. I was told about them by a tire wholesaler and he also mentioned Denman and Carlisle. I will continue to ask what I need and am in no way interested in entering a pissin contest with inland Andy.

However I think he has insulted the whole lot of all members who bother to post and ask questions or who attempt to save a buck now and then. Didn't I just read one of his posts advising of a 2nd quarter sale? Andy please try to remember that not all of us have your years of experience and that we solicit your opinions not meaning to "bore" you but to learn from you. But if we disagree with you politely, why should we be lectured to?
When I signed up with this group I do not remember agreeing to be insulted, callled cheap, implied that I do not care about my passenger's safety (or others on the road for that matter). And what the heck does any of this have to do with my ego.

Nice of Mark to speak for Andy since he chooses not to back up what he says himself.I can only deduct from what Andy imples that any of us who use anything other than "fresh new Marathons" are cheap,ego maniacs, out to endanger our loved ones and all we meet on the roads, and that we have something in common with K-Mart.

Andy has again let his "frustrations" (as Mark called and defended them) poison a perfectly good and sincere thread. Now very few if any members will dare comment on this subject for fear of disturbing venerable old Andy. Blessed are the meek, so bless the majority of you.
Are my questions too hot to handle on this forum or did I overlook a set of rules somewhere to join the clique?
Old 04-04-2003, 09:08 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
pap

i posted that to point out that lots of folks have had mixed results with all tires.

i think it is relevent.

given the cost of repairing the wheel well area after even a "minor" blowout or tread seperation, my view is why risk it?

i've had two sets of marathons with no problems.

when the present set on my trailer is replaced, it will be with marathons again.

just trying to share my experiance, as i'm sure andy is doing also.

going with a different brand of tire is your choice. after you have towed on them successfully for the amount of time i have with marathons you can be the one sharing your experiance.

good or bad.

let us know how towmasters work out.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 12:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
My intent is to solely try to make some owners aware of some the pitfalls that they can so very easily get into, with their trailers.

Having spent several years with the old Caravanner Insurance Company was a very interesting part of my career.

Once in a while I settled an insurance loss with the estate of some Airstream owners. Having to hug them while sharing tears with them is far from heart warming.

Why? Because the owners were killed in a horrible accident that was caused sometimes by poor tires or improper hitch setup.

It was extremely difficult when I had to examine the tow vehicle and trailer and take pictures of them showing the damage and the spilled blood, to document our files. I also had to determine and "prove" the cause of the loss, if possible. How very sad it was to find sometimes, that with a greater concern for safety, some of those deaths would have never happened.

If anyone "EVER" has such an visual experience, I assure you that it will bring many tears to your eyes, as it did mine, more than once.

Coupling that with being a licensed pilot, makes a person become immensely aware of "safety."

Therefore I am acutely aware of practicing safety whenever and however I can, and to promote the same with any Airstream group that I may be involved with.

Having to refer to horror stories so that others may better understand, is not an easy task. I would much rather leave those sights and experience to closed chapters in my life.

Everyone has choices to make regarding Airstreaming. My sole desire, is to help them, if I can, make the right ones. The right ones have proven themselves over and over again, over time, and are not my opinion, but facts that I have at my disposal.

Tragedies are a part of our all too short lives. Why invite them?
Trying to save a buck, sometimes, in the wrong place, creates that invitation.

If my comments save just one life, then my work of almost 38 years, has accomplished it's goals.

None of us can ever be an Airstreamers lifeguard, but we can all try to be a "life saver."

Sharing the good information and experiences along with the bad, on this Forum, can also contribute to that end. Picking on someone or arguing with them, solves nothing.

Sharing the positives as well as the negatives, solves many things.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-05-2003, 03:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Andy,

Sobering thoughts and well taken. Quite an impact here. Just a comment though, If you are such a proponent of safety then where were you when the whole "Airstream/Intrepid" thread was happening? I don't really like bringing it up again but since it appears we have lost most of our Canadian friends I am curious to hear your views on the subject.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 04:31 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Chas
I don't really like bringing it up again but since it appears we have lost most of our Canadian friends
Chas
Chas,

I was just noticing that fact a few days ago but didn't connect the two until just now. It's hard to believe that thread made Wayne and a lot of others leave over a simple adult disagreement......

To keep on topic......

I use Marathons..still installed from the factory on the '03s!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 04:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Chas.
I guess I wasn't on any of the nets at that time.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-05-2003, 05:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Andy;

You were here then. Just smarter than the rest of us about jumping into the CANAM Intrepid/Windstar fray.

I have Continental ST trailer tires.

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 06:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Not sure I've been around long enough to jump into this. However; before I knew this forum existed I had read many stories in Sams action line from people trying to get help on tire failure causing damage to there trailer. Most of the problems seemed to be related to Goodyear tires but that was just my impression from the various articals over time.
I had to have new tires to replace dry roted tires on the AS I had just bought. I went with bias ply load range D trailer tires. I did not take into consideration price but they turned out to be cheaper than radials. I wanted the sidewall strenth that you can't get with radials, plus I had first hand experience with a SOB that was a slide in for my PU. The difference in side movement between radial and bias is very noticable. The radial has less rolling resistance and allows you to get better gas milage but I am happy with the bias tires and feel safe.
I think trailer tires fail far more often than cars based on the fact they spend most of there useful life just sitting and rotting !!
I wonder how many folks still use the bias tire ??????

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 08:35 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

I found this an interesting discussion, since the 1996 A/S I purchased recently has three new Towmasters, and three original equipment Goodyears. The OE tires have less than 10,000 miles on them, but weather must have taken their toll. While being moved from Yuma to Phoenix, one of the Goodyear's came apart. The driver (A/S seller) pulled off and found a Goodyear tire store in Gila Bend..they found two more tires were separating....and elected to replace the three with Towmasters...probably because they were cheaper. The Towmaster site is www.greenball.com they're distributors based in Long Beach since 1976....FWIW.
DbackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #17

2006 25' Classic
Shawnee Mission , Kansas
Here it is, 6 years after this thread started. I joined just to comment on my Towmaster tires. I tow a race car on a 18' dovetail open trailer. Double axle. The tires that came with it (new) were 205/75D/15. In less than 3500 miles, the tread was almost gone, and I have to replace them. The inside shoulder was gone. Proper tire pressure was at 50#, as recommended. The trailers capacity was 7000#. The max capaciaty of the tires would be 7400# . Racer and trailer weight can't exceed 5500#, but the tires are shot. Andy is VERY CORRECT. Stay away from the unknown tires and stay with the tried and true tires. When I purchased the trailer from the manufacturer, one option was to get used rims and tires. This was for those who wanted to mount their choice of tires and wheels on their trailer. I wish I had the foresight to have done that. It also shows that many who purchase trailers already know what tire brands they demand on their equipment.
Stick with Andy's advice. I wish I had read this thread 6 years ago when this topic came up. Never again for Towmaster. They certaiinly failed my test.
Vettepuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ah, the resurrection of an oldie but goodie.

I went with Maxxis tires and have been generally impressed with them. I have about 1800 miles on them so far, so not a lot of time, but they have no odd sidewall bulges like my Marathons did from day one and they have a nylon cap which is suppose to help reduce tread separation.

I will have a better idea on how well these hold up after this season as I will then have 2 seasons with them.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #19
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
This is to much

I'm sorry, but some of what is being said on this is really sad. To say it has worked for 60 yrs so it must be good? Come on, if all thought that way we would still be in the dark ages! Sure, when the speed limit was lowered, (what a farse that was!) you had no problem. Now that you are able to go 70 - 75 mph legally, why not look for a tire that is Safer? Cost not being the issue. I'm really disappointed in the tire industry for not keeping up with the times when it comes to trailer tires. Now if anybody knows of a trailer tire that has a speed index higher than 75 mph (I know, Cooper does but you can not buy or find any) Please come forward. I'm in the market for them. Otherwise, the safest tire I am aware of for driving down TODAY'S highways with a trailer are the ones for light trucks made for modern speed limits.

jmho, Bob
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
here we go again

There is a difference between the Canadian made and the Chinese made Towmaster tires.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote