Old 04-05-2003, 07:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Not sure I've been around long enough to jump into this. However; before I knew this forum existed I had read many stories in Sams action line from people trying to get help on tire failure causing damage to there trailer. Most of the problems seemed to be related to Goodyear tires but that was just my impression from the various articals over time.
I had to have new tires to replace dry roted tires on the AS I had just bought. I went with bias ply load range D trailer tires. I did not take into consideration price but they turned out to be cheaper than radials. I wanted the sidewall strenth that you can't get with radials, plus I had first hand experience with a SOB that was a slide in for my PU. The difference in side movement between radial and bias is very noticable. The radial has less rolling resistance and allows you to get better gas milage but I am happy with the bias tires and feel safe.
I think trailer tires fail far more often than cars based on the fact they spend most of there useful life just sitting and rotting !!
I wonder how many folks still use the bias tire ??????

Garry

Old 04-05-2003, 09:35 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

I found this an interesting discussion, since the 1996 A/S I purchased recently has three new Towmasters, and three original equipment Goodyears. The OE tires have less than 10,000 miles on them, but weather must have taken their toll. While being moved from Yuma to Phoenix, one of the Goodyear's came apart. The driver (A/S seller) pulled off and found a Goodyear tire store in Gila Bend..they found two more tires were separating....and elected to replace the three with Towmasters...probably because they were cheaper. The Towmaster site is www.greenball.com they're distributors based in Long Beach since 1976....FWIW.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #17

2006 25' Classic
Shawnee Mission , Kansas
Here it is, 6 years after this thread started. I joined just to comment on my Towmaster tires. I tow a race car on a 18' dovetail open trailer. Double axle. The tires that came with it (new) were 205/75D/15. In less than 3500 miles, the tread was almost gone, and I have to replace them. The inside shoulder was gone. Proper tire pressure was at 50#, as recommended. The trailers capacity was 7000#. The max capaciaty of the tires would be 7400# . Racer and trailer weight can't exceed 5500#, but the tires are shot. Andy is VERY CORRECT. Stay away from the unknown tires and stay with the tried and true tires. When I purchased the trailer from the manufacturer, one option was to get used rims and tires. This was for those who wanted to mount their choice of tires and wheels on their trailer. I wish I had the foresight to have done that. It also shows that many who purchase trailers already know what tire brands they demand on their equipment.
Stick with Andy's advice. I wish I had read this thread 6 years ago when this topic came up. Never again for Towmaster. They certaiinly failed my test.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ah, the resurrection of an oldie but goodie.

I went with Maxxis tires and have been generally impressed with them. I have about 1800 miles on them so far, so not a lot of time, but they have no odd sidewall bulges like my Marathons did from day one and they have a nylon cap which is suppose to help reduce tread separation.

I will have a better idea on how well these hold up after this season as I will then have 2 seasons with them.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #19
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
This is to much

I'm sorry, but some of what is being said on this is really sad. To say it has worked for 60 yrs so it must be good? Come on, if all thought that way we would still be in the dark ages! Sure, when the speed limit was lowered, (what a farse that was!) you had no problem. Now that you are able to go 70 - 75 mph legally, why not look for a tire that is Safer? Cost not being the issue. I'm really disappointed in the tire industry for not keeping up with the times when it comes to trailer tires. Now if anybody knows of a trailer tire that has a speed index higher than 75 mph (I know, Cooper does but you can not buy or find any) Please come forward. I'm in the market for them. Otherwise, the safest tire I am aware of for driving down TODAY'S highways with a trailer are the ones for light trucks made for modern speed limits.

jmho, Bob
Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
here we go again

There is a difference between the Canadian made and the Chinese made Towmaster tires.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Do they still make any of them in Canada?
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Towmaster tire

I have had the SAME towmaster tires on my 28 ft Squarestream for years with NO problems.If I told you how long they have been on there everyone would jump me for not changing them after 5 years.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettepuller View Post
Here it is, 6 years after this thread started. I joined just to comment on my Towmaster tires. I tow a race car on a 18' dovetail open trailer. Double axle. The tires that came with it (new) were 205/75D/15. In less than 3500 miles, the tread was almost gone, and I have to replace them. The inside shoulder was gone. Proper tire pressure was at 50#, as recommended. Andy is VERY CORRECT. Stay away from the unknown tires and stay with the tried and true tires. When I purchased the trailer from the manufacturer, one option was to get used rims and tires. This was for those who wanted to mount their choice of tires and wheels on their trailer. Never again for Towmaster. They certaiinly failed my test.
I would like to point out that if you tires wore so bad that the tread was "completely gone" in 3500 miles, there is probably something wrong with the alignment of the axles under your trailer.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #24
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Newby with Towmasters

Jimmini,
Thanks for your post. I just bought my Airstream last Wed and brought her home. It has 4 Towmasters on it and I have been debating on whether to replace or not. This makes me feel better. I read this thread from 2003 and was a little uncomfortable about these tires. The two tires on the front are older than the back which tells me that the PO replaced the rear with new Towmasters. Unfortunately he passed away last October so I can not get any information from him directly. He was a very serious Airstreamer and had trips to Alaska and back and went to a lot of rallys all over the country in the last 16 years. Judging by the shape he left this Airstream in, I can not fathom him putting a tire on it he did not have the upmost confidence in, and then replacing the two in back with the same tells me he thought they were good tires. I'm going to take a few short trips in the next couple of months and then a 1000 miler in August. I'll have an evaluation period before I take it on the road for real. The tires look very good, lot of tread and side walls seem OK. If anyone can tell me how to find out how old they are, I would appreciate it. If I had to replace today, I would look at putting on the Towmasters again just because he did. I feel honored I got this Airstream and want it to be in as good a shape in 2025 as he left it in for me.
Thanks for your comments,
Joe
Old 06-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
If anyone can tell me how to find out how old they are, I would appreciate it.
On the inside of the tire, next to the bead, there is a 4 digit code cast into the rubber. The first two digits will be the number of the week of the year it was manufactured, and the second two numbers are the year the tire was manufactured.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #26
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Looks like all 4 were made on 07. In Canada.
I'll keep them for a while.
Thanks,
SteveH
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
Towmaster Mfg Greenball Corp, Cheng-Shin
Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Franklin , Tennessee
Hey Andy, Re: Towmaster Tires: I have 4 different brands of tires on my trailer presently; unfortunately you don't get to choose the brand you want in Podunkville, Alaska where during the trip all 4 of my Goodyear Marathons failed (they were 4 years old). One of those brands is Towmaster (along with a Duro, another Marathon, and a Trailmaster) tire.
Costco is now selling Towmaster Tires, if they're good enough for Costco, they're good enough for me. Gerry