Old 11-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
vancouver , Washington
I posted a separate thread on this but thought I would ask here as well, what about putting BridgestoneŽBLIZZAK W965 LT225/75R16 on the Sendel TO3 rims? Costco sells these tires around $160/each?

A typical situation for those of us out West just exhibited itself this past Thanksgiving. Tuesday before Tday the area (Central Oregon) received a foot or so of snow. By Wednesday it was all plowed, however from Government Camp to Sunriver it was nearly all hard packed snow and ice. There were some stretches that had exposed pavement. If you had any kind of chain it would be a pain to stop remove and then go 10 miles only to put them back on. It would be nice if 4 Blizzaks would do the trick.

WheelnStones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #44
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Info may be in linked threads, but worth mentioning here. Chains on non drive wheels are for traction to stop and maintain direction. Ladder type chains are not recommended for stopping because the wheel must turn for them to dig into snow or ice. The better chain systems have a diagonal configuration that keeps a chain or cable in contact no mater where the tire stops. Cables take up less space in the wheel wells. They are also less expensive and take up less space when stored. Chains are not difficult to install. It does not take long. But you do have to understand the process and should practice.

As I understand the laws in CA and OR, you must have chains in the vehicle when weather conditions may require the use of chains, even if mandatory chain use is not in effect. The law is not always appropriately applied as in the case of the two wheel drive truck with bald mud and snow tires being let through while the car with new all season tires is stopped because they do not have chains. Purchase the best chain/cable system you can afford and use them as ballast in place of those sand bags you normally carry every year for traction. We used chains in the 70's to get to work. We modified those chains for our car in the 80's and never used them. We purchased a set for our new car in the 90's and gave them away unused. We stopped packing chains in the '00s and did not travel in winter. Almost got caught in an early Colorado snow near Vail. We now carry chains for both TV and AS. They are an insurance policy that we never want to use.

Parking is the best mode of travel when the weather turns to ice and snow. Ice is much more difficult to drive on than snow. The hazard of black ice is even worse as it's unexpected. There is also a significant hazard from thick snow/ice that starts to break up as it melts and thaws. This condition can form major pot holes. So don't leave. If caught out, get to a safe place and park it.

Safe travels. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #45
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The chain law in Colorado requires you have either snow tires or chains. Some all season tires are snow rated, some are not. You have to check the sidewall to see if it is snow rated.

We have mud and snow tires (Michelin LTX M+S2) on our two 4WD vehicles and if we need chains, we should stay where we are. We've never gotten stuck with that combination. It surprises me that Cal. and Ore. require you have chains + snow tires. As for all season tires, I don't think they are generally very good in snow compared to snow tires with big lugs.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The chain rules in California are probably to compensate for the vast numbers of drivers we have around here that have absolutely NO clue how to drive in the snow, or for that matter, in rain. I've seen fools in 4x4 vehicles flip them in the snow while I was driving a long wheelbase van conversion, no chains on the same cleated road. It's a question of technique, not brute force and ignorance...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote