Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Towing in the snow? Chains on trailer tires

So while this is to be avoided, anyone do this? Have you put chains on the trailer? Anything else?

We might find ourselves in this situation presently...

thanks,
Jeff
lilynhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
I have been pulling trailers for years and I have never heard of attaching chains to trailer tires. Chains on a TV is a different story.
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Salt is bad for aluminum.

Around here nobody really runs tire chains to speak of though I understand it's different out west. In general chains, if used, go on the rear wheels of the tow vehicle, only, except in a few rare jurisdictions where the bureaucracy requires them on the trailer.

In Minnesota people tow all winter, snow or no snow, gotta get those snowmobiles to and from the trails somehow, and ice houses to and from the lake. I see a few RVs go by, but not many. The construction guys and so on still drive around with there big trailers.

So, to be avoided, well, maybe because of the salt, unless you're careful about washing it off. Beyond that, don't get stuck.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Lansing , Kansas
We've done it once last year. Took the AS to the everglades over Christmas, and hit the snow about 30 miles from home. We didn't use any chains, just took it nice and slow and started slowing down much earlier than normal.
DCtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Living in the mountains in Colorado. I have towed in the snow more than a few times and offer the following observations.
Four wheel drive is almost a necessity. You are moving double the load with the same amount of rubber on a slick surface. If you have only two wheel drive and are on an uphill road chains may be necessary. Here 18 wheelers get fined if they don't chain up when the chain law is in effect.
Stopping takes extra distance. Go slow and anticipate. Trailer brakes must be adjusted so they don't grab, but have adequate brake force to keep the trailer tracking straight behind the tow vehicle when braking.
If it is very slick, don't go or pull over and wait it out. Wait until they plow and sand the road. Your emergency handling is much impaired with a trailer. If you go into a spin, it is unlikely you can pull out of it with a trailer behind.
Extreme conditions like snow bring out the worst in an overloaded or marginal tow vehicle. If your heavy trailer pushes you around downhill corners, you may lose traction in snow.
Good driving technique is doubly important in the snow. Easy acceleration and braking are important. Smooth steering is necessary. Go slow and don't brake heavily in corners. As long as you maintain traction you are o.k. If you lose traction particularly on the steering wheels, then you will have white knuckles or worse.
Wash the salt off. Steel on travel trailers is usually not galvanized and rusts quickly.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Ask Zep, he came through after Christmas a couple years ago and put 1000 miles or so on his rig, and a bunch of it was on mountain passes and snow here.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
_

. , .
many threads on this, i've seen no NEW or better info posted in years here.

here's a good 1 to start yer reading...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...one-27195.html

just a few of the others linked, many of the older threads include pix...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...ins-69732.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...eam-59818.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-27891.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ips-39606.html

as a new rv'r and new streamer with a new stream and new truck...

going out in the white stuff should be way down (off) the list of issues to contemplate.

just say no 2toeingnsnow.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I would reduce the trailer brake to avoid fishtailing and a potential jack knife I think. Am I right?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
California vehicle code requires chains to be installed on one axle of trailer when chain controls are in effect... some of us have M+S tires on our trailers if we use LT tires, so that may suffice.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Say this one hundred times: slow. But faster going up hill so you can keep going to the top, then slow. Leave lots of space between you and the next vehicle, use the brakes sparingly by anticipating slowing traffic, downshift if you can do it smoothly. Smooth is the other word to say one hundred times.

I have driven in snow on I-70 west of Denver for about 40 miles before it turned to rain. It was not pleasant, but the road is pretty much straight and the hills small. Nonetheless, some 18 wheelers couldn't make the hills. There was also a strong cross wind. It helped that I was in 4wd and had good snow tires on the truck. The trailer had OEM Marathons. There were no problems, but anxiety was high. Now I have snow tires on the trailer too.

Sooner or later many of us get to tow in snow and you can't always sit it out. I do not look forward to towing over Colorado passes, but it's more likely I'll have to tow up a steep hill with a switchback that gets no sun in winter a few miles from my house. I know it'll happen someday.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Read 2Air's first link. That says it ALL. When I originally saw that thread, I was SO relieved. Rollovers are so often fatal or at least lead to serious injury.

Don't do it if you don't absolutely have to! If you have to snow-tow, go SLOW! If you're not at the top of your physical and mental game, pull over and rest.

Paula
Old 10-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I usually try to avoid towing in the white stuff, but sometimes it sneaks up on you, like this early snowfall on Mt. Graham in SE Arizona last week. There were a few hardy campers in tents and pop-ups up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1463.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	114155  
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've towed in brutal snow conditions. It was not fun at all. You are so concentrated it is easy to over correct and create your own issues. I've never towed with chains on the trailer but only because I did not realize that some States and Provinces require them on one axle of the trailer if you are required to have them on your tow vehicle. Typically we were towing cars on trailers and not an Airstream/travel trailer.

The best advice - pull over the first chance you can where you are out of the way of other vehicles (rest stop, store, gas station, campground etc) and wait it out till the roads are plowed and or sanded.

Your getting somewhere is more important than not getting there at all. And it isn't just you to worry about. There's all the other folks out there driving like it is still dry and they are weapons just waiting for an Airstream to hit.

And if you have to keep going till you get to a pull out, and you are driving very cautiously, put your four way flashers on. An Airstream will be hard to see in blowing snow and you want as much visibility as you can get.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Snake! I love that picture! At least there's no salt on the road. Someday, when I don't have to work for the man anymore, I'm gonna hit ALL the places in ALL the weather. Beautiful spot!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Take it easy, leave plenty of space, be aware of all around you.
If you have a choice, wait it out!

Here's a pic of the end of our first day with unfamiliar trailer on the road. We were in snow when we got hooked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3440.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	114157  
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #16
R n B

1965 17' Caravel
1961 24' Tradewind
Ephrata , Washington
In Washington state it is very simple. If chains are required on the tow vehicle they are also required on the trailer. This says it in more detail WAC 204-24-050: Use of tire chains or other traction devices.
King O D Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Wow! I'm completely ignorant of the "west" requirements, but I'd hate to have 16" wheels and tires with chains under my wheel wells????? Now I've done it, haven't I?
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Wow, thanks everyone, lots of good info. Our possible trip will be Oregon to SoCal, over the Siskyous. But maybe now we'll chicken out and beat our way down 101. The thought of putting chains on the AS does not appeal to me. I mentioned this fact to my wife, she says "oh, that's no big deal", this coming from the one who gets to stay in the warm car!

But again, thanks for all the links and facts, very good info! Our new FC 23'FB will be in next week, I think taking it on it's first trip into the snow wouldn't be a good thing!
lilynhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #19
R n B

1965 17' Caravel
1961 24' Tradewind
Ephrata , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilynhoward View Post
Wow, thanks everyone, lots of good info. Our possible trip will be Oregon to SoCal, over the Siskyous. But maybe now we'll chicken out and beat our way down 101. The thought of putting chains on the AS does not appeal to me. I mentioned this fact to my wife, she says "oh, that's no big deal", this coming from the one who gets to stay in the warm car!

But again, thanks for all the links and facts, very good info! Our new FC 23'FB will be in next week, I think taking it on it's first trip into the snow wouldn't be a good thing!
If you just watch the weather you can avoid chaining up. My brother travels that route every winter just around Christmas time and only once has he had to chain up his truck and trailer, and that was because of freezing rain. They keep the main roads cleared off very well. Sometimes just waiting a few hours makes all the difference.
King O D Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The links make this a great thread.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote