Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 368
Tow Vehicle - Michelin LTX or LT?

Hi Folks,

Thoroughly confused about tires for my 2014 Tundra CrewMax 4WD.

A week ago I purchased Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/55 R20. I misunderstood Michelin's branding of "LTX" and thought they were LT tires. I'm wondering if I would be wise to swap these (I've only driven 20 miles on them and I believe Discount Tire would swap them for me given the discussion I had about using these tires for towing my 2015 25FB Airstream) for LT tires in some brand...if even available for 20" wheels. (By the way, I purchased LT225/75 R16 tires for the Airstream last year from the same Discount Tire location).

Miles per year towing with the truck is approximately 3,000-5,000 hoping for 6,000-10,000 a few years from now. The truck when towing the Airstream is typically loaded to it's maximum payload rating and coming close to the rear axle rating. We use an Equalizer hitch and have experienced no sway using the previous manufacturer supplied "P" rated tires.

I would welcome your feedback and education regarding the differences between these tires and what you recommend. I meet with Discount Tire tomorrow as they are replacing tires on another non-towing vehicle of ours.

Thank you for your help!
__________________

Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
We just recently put the exact same tires on our truck after running over broken bottle glass in a parking lot at the Grand Canyon, they have excellent ride, handling and are quiet. Really nice tire, there is no reason whatsoever to replace them with a LT tire and your half-ton truck, the LTX is rated to carry your truck's maximum load easily. The low profile 20" sidewall has very little side-to-side flex so are stabile when towing.

LT tires on your truck are overkill for no reason, which is common on internet forums. My friend put the Michelin LT tires on his Ram and the tire shop warned him he would not like the ride, he doesn't.
__________________

__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 368
Thank you for your quick reply! And for relating to me a couple of real world experiences. I have appreciated your balanced responses on this forum.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,808
Blog Entries: 2
Most tire shops will only install LT tires on one ton trucks, ltx tires should be fine on your half ton. They are good tires as long as they have the correct weight ratings. I'll check in the morning but I think my tires are defender ltx but the size is LT.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 368
Thank you! Yes, the tires are rated for well over what they need to be for the truck while towing.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master
 
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Most tire shops will only install LT tires on one ton trucks.
Never had a problem getting LT tires put on my compact pickup or Jeeps.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,808
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Never had a problem getting LT tires put on my compact pickup or Jeeps.
you misread, I said the tire shops will only install lt tires on 3500 trucks, they will not install ltx. yes you can put lt tires on anything you want.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
you misread, I said the tire shops will only install lt tires on 3500 trucks, they will not install ltx. yes you can put lt tires on anything you want.
Why would they stop at 3500? Is it a quota thing? ; )
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,808
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Why would they stop at 3500? Is it a quota thing? ; )
I don't undertand your question.because my 3500 is considered a commercial vehicle in Fl, I must use LT tires/ you can install ltx ires on most everything else.3500 is the truck size, not the number of tires installed. 3500,2500,1500.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
tjdonahoe's Avatar
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,106
LT 225/75/16 michelins on my as, 80 max pressure, 17 2500 ram has LT, 80 lbs max pressure....LTX are 1/2 ton and suv's. 50 lbs max pressure?..a lighter tire heavy enough for 1/2 ton axle housings...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #11
MQF
MobileQuarantineFacility
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Charles Town , West Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 33
Blog Entries: 1
My 2014 F-250 came with Michelin LTX/AT2 275/65R20 and they were some of the greatest highway tires I have ever had. My only issue is in the spring thaw my truck could not move in the yard at all with those tires. I switched to Goodyear Duratracs and haven't looked back. But if never left pavement or had a 2wd truck I would have Michelins over anything else, they seem to never wear at all either.
__________________
MQF - Mobile Quarantine Facility (2017 Flying Cloud 26U Queen) Ordered 3/10/17, took delivery 5/16/17
MQF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

 
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 820
While it wasn't a pickup, I had the LTX tires on my Tahoe and it rode like a dream and handled great. Much quieter ride too. You'll love them on your Tundra.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 48
Don't put these tes on your trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Hi Folks,

Thoroughly confused about tires for my 2014 Tundra CrewMax 4WD.

A week ago I purchased Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/55 R20. I misunderstood Michelin's branding of "LTX" and thought they were LT tires. I'm wondering if I would be wise to swap these (I've only driven 20 miles on them and I believe Discount Tire would swap them for me given the discussion I had about using these tires for towing my 2015 25FB Airstream) for LT tires in some brand...if even available for 20" wheels. (By the way, I purchased LT225/75 R16 tires for the Airstream last year from the same Discount Tire location).

Miles per year towing with the truck is approximately 3,000-5,000 hoping for 6,000-10,000 a few years from now. The truck when towing the Airstream is typically loaded to it's maximum payload rating and coming close to the rear axle rating. We use an Equalizer hitch and have experienced no sway using the previous manufacturer supplied "P" rated tires.

I would welcome your feedback and education regarding the differences between these tires and what you recommend. I meet with Discount Tire tomorrow as they are replacing tires on another non-towing vehicle of ours.

Thank you for your help!
I did a little research on Michelin's opinion about putting truck tires on trailers and discovered that they are "not warranted for trailer use" Here's their exact script on the past page and paragraph of their warranty:
"This service does not cover the repair or replacement of your tire. Service applies only to motorized passenger and light truck vehicles and specifically excludes trailers, motor tricycles, recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles and any vehicle used for farm, ranch, agriculture,racing, or off-road service. Original Equipment tires are not included."
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 48
Check out your Michelin warranty on lt tires on trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
LT 225/75/16 michelins on my as, 80 max pressure, 17 2500 ram has LT, 80 lbs max pressure....LTX are 1/2 ton and suv's. 50 lbs max pressure?..a lighter tire heavy enough for 1/2 ton axle housings...
This service does not cover the repair or replacement of your tire. Service
applies only to motorized passenger and light truck vehicles and specifically
excludes trailers, motor tricycles, recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles
and any vehicle used for farm, ranch, agriculture, racing, or off-road
service. Original Equipment tires are not included.
__________________

IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin LTX M/S versus Michelin LTX M/S 2 - Which Would You Choose? doutterson Tires 40 10-23-2016 09:08 PM
Michelin LTX LT 235/75-15 JakeSpoon Tires 63 07-03-2015 04:18 PM
Michelin P235/75R15 LTX for use as a trailer tire?? Streamside Tires 50 03-28-2014 06:41 AM
Michelin LTX M/S tires... Dwight Tires 7 01-14-2010 05:21 PM
Michelin 235/75R15 LTX M/S vs Marathon ST225/75r15 EXCEL88 Tires 3 06-16-2008 07:41 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.