Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2002, 11:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

tires? trailer will sit after move

We just purchased a 1976 Sovereign Land-Yacht International 32" that is sitting about a five hour drive away. The trailer was towed to its current location about two year ago, and before that it sat on the coast of Washington for two years. We plan to live in the trailer as we remodel our house. We have a lot of the records from the previous owners, including information about the tires. Notes from a previous owner indicate that new front tires were installed in 1992 and an almost new front right tire was installed in 1993. There is no information about the other rear tire - I presume it's really old. What should we do about tires? We need to do whatever we plan to do soon to move it up to our place. Should we buy used tires? We're near Seattle and there are quite a few used tire dealers. If we buy tires up here, I'm not sure how we'll get the tires on the wheels and installed. The trailer is near Portland.

We won't be moving the trailer once we put it in place - assuming we can get it down our narrow, twisting, up and down driveway . . . but that's a whole different problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
goodgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Are you a gamblin' man?

I am and would probably push my luck and bring it on home, just make sure they have not been sitting flat and are not extremely weather cracked . Just take it easy, keep it slow and watch your mirrors. At least it is relatively cool where you are at so they won't get too warm.
If I had bought it to use, meaning frequent camping trips, not doing a live-in like you, I would definitely put NEW rubber all the way around.

What kind??? Now that is a totally new discussion.

Chas
Old 12-06-2002, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You may want to check out this previous thread...

A tale of woe - how I saved a buck on tires and destroyed my..."fill-in-the-blank"...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 12:57 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'll echo Shari. You stand to lose a lot more that the cost of the tires if you blow one. If I were in your shoes I would shop the cost of a new off brand tire that is rated properly. That means it might be a tire named "Jack"...never heard of it but its rated ok and I can save $$. Then I don't feel too bad about that new cheap tire sitting since you are only using it one time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 02:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Put your mind at ease and get some tires. You can sell them when you get safely back and probably won't loose more than $50 or $75. Trade the new owner rims and all, you will have them when it next has to move.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote