Old 10-28-2005, 01:02 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Beginner,

Where are you seeing the cooper custom trailer plus on line. I could only find it on one website and there was no picture or const. detail?

Also, what is your loaded weight and tongue weight? Do you need more tire than a load range D? I haven't read a sidewall lately but, RMA used to list a ST225/75R15 LRD as 2540 lbs per tire at 65psi. 2540x4=10160-hitch weight = X lbs. x .75 for safety factor. The odds are this number will exceed your axles at probably 6800lbs, assuming dual axle?

If I am not overloading the tires, I am more concerned about a puncture while running and the resulting pressure drop which will do the tire in very quickly. A pressure monitoring system is the only way to prevent this happening?

I tend to agree with Uwe that most of what you hear is not statistically valid comparisons. The Goodyear ST's manuf. after late 2000 have a belt edge reinforcement that should have significantly improved the tire.

I think the only place Airstream is on the border line in specifying tires is the 30ft slide dual axle. This is not true with many 5th wheel manufacturers.

I have never run Cooper tires but, would have no reservations in putting them on my 29' Sovereign.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires

Wingfoot:
Simply post responsed here on the forum for all to read.
The Cooper Tire is at http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Prod...itle=SUV+Tires

The web site does not show nor describe all the attributes of this tire. Coopers phone number (toll free) is on the web site. The tire is of the radial construction type, heavy two ply sidewall, two steel belts and a nylon overap to "hold it all together". It is also very close in dimentions to the GoodYear Marathon.
Again, I would like to hear from owners or previous owners of these three tires, the Cooper Custom Trailer Plus, the Goodrich Commercial T/A and the Michelin XPS Rib. I would like to know first hand their performance,and duribility and especially if they have failed. Also if the owners had a Tire Pressure Monitering System installed.
Any further questions, please write.
Beginner

Old 12-02-2005, 11:01 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires

wingfoot321
Here goes. I just borrowed a set of individual scales from a friend of mine that ownes a scale servicing company here in Norfolk. They are in good condition and calibrated. Tongue-800 lbs, left front 1600 lbs, left rear 1100 lbs, right front 1500 lbs, right rear 1300 lbs. That adds up to 6300 lbs total. I had two Goodyear Marathons on the front axle and two Nankangs on the rear axle. All four were ST 225/75R15 Load Range D. Total tire capacity at 65 PSI was 10,160 lbs. Minus the tongue weight of 800 lbs there was 5500 lbs on the four tires. That works out to a load on the tires of 54 per cent. Breaking it down further the right rear Nankang was only carrying a load of 51 per cent and the left rear was carrying a load of 43 percent. The Pressure Pro alerted me to falling pressure on the right rear Nankang and I noticed the belt seperation on the left rear Nankang just a couple of weeks ago prior to leaving a Rally at Williamsburg campground. I'm at aloss for an explaination of the failures. The Cooper engineer that I talked to said that belt seperation, the cause of the failure of both tires, is caused by too much heat. This was repeated by George Gillespie, the tire engineer at the National Highway Transportation Safety Administation. So where does that leave us. What kind of yard stick can be used to judge a tires quality. If you go by speed rating, a european convention, the GoodYear Marathon is speed rated at 65 MPH. With one exception no ST 15 inch tire is rated higher. Some refered me to the Tire and Rim Association, a gentlemans gathering of the tire manufacturers in this country. They require a minimum of I believe 65 MPH. Others I emailed maintained that there was no speed standard to which Special Trailer tires were supposed to beheld to and some just didn't bother to answer me at all. I know they got the email becaused of the delivery options I selected. Any one got a warm fuzzy yet. Speed testing is the rate at which a tire generates heat as apposed to how well it can withstand the generated heat and how much it can dissapate this built up heat. Of course none of would ever run over 65 mph, but just think, if the tire is rated at 65 mpn and we are doing 60 that is a safety margin of 7 percent. On the other hand if the tire is rated at 112 MPH the safety margin becomes 46 percent. Also tires manufactured after December face higher speeds for a longer period of time than those manufactered prior to December or so I have been led to believe(USA TESTING AS REQUIRED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IN THE FEDERAL ACQUATION REGULATIONS (FAR) that covers about every thing sold in this country).
So where are we? Is there an agreement by the tire manufacturers of the world to trash the 15 tire and force the buying public to purchase new 16 inch wheels and 16 inch tires? Is the NHTSA even aware of the problem? Not that I've noticed because we fail to report tire failures to this government body because it is too much trouble. Were paying these people to watch the industry and we are expecting them to read our minds. Most of the engineers at the NHTSA are men. I doubt that they are mind readers. I'm not, just ask my wife.
I reported the two failures that I had, the first reported in a while. So who is to blame for the junk tires for sale and where do we go from here?
I would appreciate help. Any one had any bad experiences with the Commercial TA or the Cooper Custom Trailer Plus?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #88
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Beginner.

Your report covers great detail.

However, the scales are somewhat meaningless, "IF" the tire diameters from front to rear are different.

Simply because a tire says 15 inch, does not really mean 15 inch, exactly.

Some 15 inch tires are 14 plus inches and others are almost 16 inches.

The point being, the Marathons are about 28 inches in diameter. If the other tires are larger than that, they will be carrying more weight than your scale indicated. That in itself, could be the cause of the separation.

Then we have the condition of the axles. If the rubber rods in one of the axles is weaker than the other, then the axle with the better rods "will" carry more weight than your scales indicated.

Basically, the weights you obtained are telling you the weight distribution of the trailer.

That has nothing to do, with the actual impressed weight on each tire, since you have two unknowns.

The first is the tire diameter and the second is the condition of not only each axle, but each side of the axle as well, since each side of any torsion axle is independent of the other side.

If all 4 tires were on a individual scale at the same time, then those reading would tell the true story.

Also, I don'y know what year trailer you have. The vast majority of Henschen axles used from 1974 and back, have rubbers rods that fail almost 100 percent of the time. Again, you could have a huge difference in the rubber rod condition, which would throw the weight measurements off.

Andy
Old 12-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires

Andy
Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if any one was reading about my efforts.
First; I have a 1984 Excella, 31 foot long.
Second; I had four Goodyear Marathons ST225/75R15 LRD tires on the ground when I weighed the unit inflated to 65 PSI.
Third; I had wood blocks cut to the same thickness as the scales under all wheels not being weighed, including the tow vehicle. This I did to prevent the unevenness of scale to no scale affecting the weight values. I also measured each wheel from the top of the hub where the bearing cap drives in to the bottom of the fender trim just as a reference. They are LF 11 13/16, LR 11 14/16, RF 11 9/16 and RR 11 . If you want, I can go to the unit, level it up and take a pictures of the wheels and there position in the fenders as a better reference. Then IF I can figure out how to post them for your viewing I will. Say the word.
Beginner
Old 12-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires

Andy
I managed to post two picturers of the sides of my unit to show wheel location in the fenders. They ended up in my picture section. Yes the tongue is slightly elevated. How to they look?

Beginner
Old 01-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #91
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Oh great,
I've read this whole thread and will now have the corresponding nightmares.

I'm ordering centrmatics.

Michael
Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #92
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Update on the BFG Commercial T/A's. The tires now have about 16,000 miles on them, from rough terrain, to rough roads like the Interstate over Donner Pass, to buttery smooth interstates, to dirt roads, to post Katrina New Orleans. I couldn't be more pleased. They're the best trailer tires I've ever owned. No signs of uneven wear. They track perfectly and show no tendancy to sway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t-front.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	17692   Click image for larger version

Name:	t-rear.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	17693  

Old 01-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #93
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Bob,

Why did you switch to the 16's? Versus the stock 15's?

After 16,000 I am assuming there is no fit (in the wheelwell) issues.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Action,
Check the beginning of the thread and you will see that Bob is not satisfied with the quality of any 15" ST rated tires. This is why he went to the 16" Commercial rated tire.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #95
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
It's a very long thread.
Thanks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-17-2006, 10:00 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
It's a very long thread.
Thanks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
That's the truth!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires....Tires.....Tires

Bob Thompson
Thank you for the feedback and the picture. As for wheel well clerance I did a little snooping. My 1984 31 Ft. Excella came with 700R15 8 ply rated tires on it( now load range D). I found out that Airstream back then was using the Michelin XCA model tire. The XCA had an outside diameter of 29.4 inches with a max width of 7.8 inches(kinda skinny). However the GoodYear Marathons max width is 8.8 inches. Your Commercial TA's(LT225/75R16s) have an outside diameter of 29.4 inches and a max width of 8.8 inches. For me its a return to original. My only problem is that the brake drums on my unit require lug bolts. The I am trying to locate some screw in lug studs so that I can go to lug nuts. So far Dexter and the distributer for Reliable Tool products has not gotten back to me with a solution. Reliable makes a screw in stud but insists I go through their distributor. If I have to get new brake drums, 8 on 6.5 , 12 X 2 is a real option because that (8 on 6.5) is what fits my tow vehicle, but I really dont want to incur the expense. I am looking at painted steel modular wheels, Stainless Steel center cups and chrome acorn lug nuts (hense the need for screw in lug studs) for either application due to monitary concerns although the forged aluminum wheels really look nice. Any suggestion on the studs?
Jim
Old 01-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #98
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Any suggestion on the studs?
Jim
Jim, if you can use the bolts, it would be easier to remove and replace the wheels, as the wheels tenbd to get hung up on the studs. If you have to have studs, you can try custom wheel suppliers like Weld and American Racing.