Old 05-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Similar to the beads mentioned above, I read of some offroaders using 4 oz. of BB's in their tires. Near as I could tell, success was limited.

I did find a good deal on the Centramatics. A set of 4, model 300-556 were $180 shipped. If interested, PM me and I will give you the details of where I purchased them.

Old 05-30-2005, 02:15 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Centramatics

I have been concerned about balance since I got my trailer. Out of balance tires can really do a number on skin and interior. Spin balancing on the trailer is recommended but I don't know where to go to get it done. Most tire dealers don't have the equipment.

I ordered Centramatics for my 78 Excella. They were delivered and I tried to mount them and found that they don't fit on the aluminum wheels that are standard on the trailer. I had to send them back. I was very disappointed. I am not sure how to tell if the Centramatics will fit your rims.

The DYNA BEADS look like they might do the trick. They recommend taking the lead weights off the rim. I would think that leaving them on would allow the beads to "fine tune" the balance.

www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Update, Well, we had a chance to try out the tires on a 650 mile trip this weekend and they performed perfectly. The 16" BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's ran cool, showed no tendancy to sway, and didn't seem to ride harshly. They performed perfectly and serenely. If I hadn't already purchased and installed them, I would be saving my money to do it. These tires give me perfect confidence and peace of mind which I didn't have with the Goodyears.

As for the Centramatics, I purchased a set, thinking I would try them on the Toyota Tundra, and if they worked, I would buy a set for the trailer. Turned out, they don't fit the Tundra, but they do fit the Airstream perfectly. On the Tundra, the front brake calipers are in the way and on the rear, Toyota mounted the hub counterweight such that the Centramatics can't mount flush so they can't be used. On the Airstream, it will be a while before I get to test them, but I'm confident they will work out well.

Enjoy!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:49 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Bob.
With much study, I sprung for a pair of Centramatics for the drive axle on our SOB motorhome, equppied with dual 315X80X22.5 tires , load range "L" , it was a good thing. Two big tires and wheels and a rotor on each side to balance, we had a vibration issue. Now, with the Centrmatics, we sail smoothly down the interstate. I'm considering adding a set to the steer axle and tag. I already have the airstream equipped, but haven't had a real good test. Springfield, Missouri will be our test coarse for the Centramticx, new LT215X75X15 Yokohoma tires and our 6K Dexter axle.
The new Zipdees were installed today all the way around the Globetrotter. The trailer's total loaded weight is 4,318 lbs. Can't wait to get going! Enjoy the Centramtics, and thankyou for your diligence.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I didn't know Yokohama made a 15" LT tire. I've always had good luck with Yokohama tires. What is the load rating for the new LT215X75X15 Yokohama tires? What model are they? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

I just finished reading more than I ever knew about tires, but I have a question... I'm getting ready to sell a wonderful 1986 Sovereign that's in good, mostly original, condition. About 2 years ago I bought a Land Yacht and the travel trailer has only been used once since then, so I'm sure I'll have to replace all of the tires before I put it up for sale. Which tire would be my best choice under the circumstances? And how in the world do I get the tires changed?? I'm scared to pull it down the highway for fear of a flat or two. I live just outside of Atlanta. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniesbasement
And how in the world do I get the tires changed?? I'm scared to pull it down the highway for fear of a flat or two.
I would just jack up the back of the trailer, put it on axle stands under the axle plate on each side, take off the two back wheels, take them in your tow vehicle to the tire depot, have the tires fitted, and fit them back onto the trailer . Then lower the back of the trailer, raise the front, and do the same for the front two wheels. Alternatively, do one side at a time. If you don't have the right jack or axle stands, pull the front wheels of the trailer onto some wooden planks ( acouple of 8 x 2's), and the back wheels will be in the air. (loosen the wheel nuts with the wheels on the ground). To do the front wheels, reverse the back wheels onto the same planks. Nick.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, Nick! Any suggestions on replacement tires, considering we're selling the trailer?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:17 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniesbasement
Any suggestions on replacement tires, considering we're selling the trailer?
I would leave the existing tires on the trailer, and sell it as it is, unless the tires were obviously defective. The new owner would then be able to make the decision as to whether or not new tires were required, and what make to buy. A new owner might wish to pick up the trailer on a flat bed truck, and only use it as a static home. You would then have wasted about $400. I would always prefer to purchase a vehicle "as is", and then make my own decisions. The sale price of your trailer is unlikely to increase by $400 just because of new tires, IMHO. Good luck. Nick.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Update, often people do not post the results of their modifications, nonetheless, I've decided to post mine. We tried out the tires on a 6500 mile trip lasting the month of September. The 16" BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's ran cool, showed no tendancy to sway, and didn't seem to ride harshly even though I was running them at 65 psi. Gas mileage for trip averaged near 14.5 mpg, so the tires must have had a low rolling resistance. The tires showed no perceptible tire wear and the Centramatics kept them in perfect balance. The tires performed perfectly and serenely throughout the whole trip. They are an exceptionally good choice for the job. If I hadn't already purchased and installed them, I would be saving my money to do it. These tires give me perfect confidence and peace of mind which I didn't have with the Marathons.

As for the Centramatics, on the Airstream they seem to work perfectly as evidenced by no vibrations and no uneven tire tread wear patterns. In fact, there was so little tire wear that no change in surface could be detected. All in all, the Centramatics and B F Goodrich Commercial T/A's are a great combination. Given the current rate of wear, these tires could easily last over 100,000 miles.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:16 PM   #67
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. It is always useful when some one gives their experience.

If your tires last 100,000 miles and you average 10,000 miles a year* I would think you would have that same issue that I (and others) have (And I only average a 1000 miles a year) and that is the tires will crack either in the tread or side wall well before the tread is worn off. Causing the tire to be non-usable.

* Based on 6500 for September I would say you will make that 10,000 miles a year.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
My yearly average has been around 16,000 miles and I keep the trailer covered when not in use, so the tires should be good for another 6 years. Most manufacturers of tires recommend tires that are more than 6 years old be taken out service. If they start to appear unreliable before then, I'll replace them. My post was more about the viability of using 16" commercial LT tires rather than the 15" ST tires. I'll never use the 15" ST tires again now that I've seen how well the new ones work.

There were numerous people who felt switching from ST tires to LT tires was a bad choice. I'm here to say "it is not", it is a better choice. ST tires is a category of tires created by allowing manufacturers to put stiffer belts in passenger car tires running at upper end passenger tire pressures. Commercial LT tires are proving to be much better, safer, and durable tires. For the record, DOT requires LT tires be able to carry 15% more load than their rating. This is not the case with ST tires.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:55 PM   #69
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks Bob. 6 years of usable service is an expectation that is likely realistic for a tire. And I realize what your point was.

I believe the ST is softer than an LT and stiffer than a passenger tire. I am currently running LT's on my bullet (5000 # load 15" rims) and ST's on my boat trailer (7500 # load on 14" rims) I like the LTs much better. However going to a 16" would just make my trailer that much higher off the ground.

I believe I will go with LTs (usually less expensive because of the volume) also when tire replacement time come. I know this runs against some opinions, however I have arrived at that decision.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
BFG's...

I've got the same Commercial T/A's on my 1 ton van (255/70/16's). I like the ride, they seem to grip well, and no squirm. I don't know how I missed your earlier thread, I would have upgraded too. I've got the same Outlaw II rims on both the van and the trailer (great choice!) I like the way they fill out your trailer's wheelwells.
6000 miles! That's some serious traveling. Oh to be retired!
Marc