Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2021, 10:46 PM   #281
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tires...Tires...Tires

Just to wind things up, back in post 222 I posted a picture of my new 16 inch rims and BF Goodrich Commercial T/As that I had installed on my 31 Foot Excella, which I still have. The date of that post was 6/25/2007.
Five weeks ago, prior to moving across country I had the Virginia State Vehicle Inspector closely inspect the tires on my trailer. Came in and told me that the tires looked brand new, no cracks between the tread lugs or sidewalls.
Then he said he looked at the manufacture date of the tires, THEY WERE 16 YEARS OLD. Of course I kept them covered. They were on my trailer 14 of those 16 years. In that time I never had a single incident, lost pressure episode and the tires had app 30,000 miles on them. Once a year, at the beginning of the season I'd have to add 5 to 8 psi nitrogen to them but that was it, even the spare retained pressure having never been on the ground.
My first post was #87. I was 100% right in my decision to change to LT tires. Like the engineer in charge of tire testing for NHTSA told me "buy the highest speed rating your wallet can stand, you'll never go wrong".
Five weeks ago I replaced my old tires, all 5 of them, with BF Goodrich Commercial T/As and I running 60psi then drove from Norfolk VA to Broken Arrow OK. The new tires performed as their predecessors had, flawlessly.
Oh and by the way, the trailer has not been beat to death. Just because you can put 80 psi in the tires doesn't mean you must.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote