Old 07-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
HiPo MH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill4th@gvtc
I have a 28ft motorhome and I have hear that you need to put wider tires on it for better handling. Is this true?
Wider than what? What are you trying to do by "improving handling" of a house on wheels? Generally speaking it's a trade off. Wider tires increase the grip on dry pavement; but you can probably roll the MH already before the tires slip with the high center of gravity. Wider tires in general decrease wet weather traction and also decrease directional stability (tend to wander more). Chances are good that whatever size was spec'd orriginally (not necessarilly what's on there now if POs have changed tires) is what will work best.

Remember changing width almost always changes diameter which will throw off your speedo unless you change the speedo gear in the transmission. You also run into problems with fender well clearance especially when turning sharply which can damage the inside sidewall without you seeing it.

-Bernie

Old 07-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #198

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Jack:

I believe that the C-rated tires were standard issue for the 30' Excella - at least thru 2000. When I equipped my unit with a spare I matched the existing tires with a C-rated spare - however, when I replaced the active set in Jackson Center late last summer, Jackson Center used D-rated tires. That led me to a question I posed earlier in this string about whether or not the new tires would allow me to increase my CCC if I raised the inflation to the maximum for the D-rated tires - or, secondly, should I now use the higher inflation value regardless of loading? I answered the second part for myself, since I know that I'm normally within the weight range of the C-rated tires - and I don't want to make the rig ride any harder. With respect to increasing my CCC, I never got an answer.
In the tire example I gave you the trailer was a post 2000 unit. There have been cases where an undersized AC unit has been put on a new trailer. When I was having performance issues that was one of the first things my dealer checked for.

I guess that answer regarding your CCC would rest with Airstream who can verify the true load capacity of the frame and axle assembly. It would seem to me if the CCC was truly limited by the tire capacity, it wouldn't be an issue.......but I've got a gut feeling that the style of tire chosen by Airstream was driven by the frame and axle.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #199
4 Rivet Member

You guys really do your research, here is my 2 cents and I will be back to you guys next week with more follow up. Three weeks we took our 1987 Excella out and blew the right rear, being in Pasadena CA there was a Discount Tire nearby where we had originally purchased. These Carlisle are the Third set in five years. After looking at the rest of them we noticed two more that needed replacing in thinking about my wife Lucy we went to the truck scales and not even close to weight limit. No more Carlisle for me and earlier there is a picture of will the real Carlisle stand up they are both Carlise. I'm now part of class action law suit as well as my own. Damage to trailer 6,000.00. Also Discount Tire no longer sells the Carlisle brand.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I am now totally confused. Our 71 Overlander has radial Goodyear Workhorse LT tires on it. The tread is good - they just look tired. Took it in for wheel bearing and brake service prior to parking the unit - the non-AS shop recommended replacement. Since we have her parked for the first year (repairs,etc.) I'm leaving those on. Only towed her 80 miles home but she responded well with the old tires.
I found 8 ply Yokohama S/T tires including new wheels and the plan was to replace with those late next summer - $154 per wheel then to the shop and have them put on and balanced. Thought this was a pretty simple decision. Surely there has to be some group of consensus on this issue....? Marathons...?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #201
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
I am now totally confused. Our 71 Overlander has radial Goodyear Workhorse LT tires on it. The tread is good - they just look tired. Took it in for wheel bearing and brake service prior to parking the unit - the non-AS shop recommended replacement. Since we have her parked for the first year (repairs,etc.) I'm leaving those on. Only towed her 80 miles home but she responded well with the old tires.
I found 8 ply Yokohama S/T tires including new wheels and the plan was to replace with those late next summer - $154 per wheel then to the shop and have them put on and balanced. Thought this was a pretty simple decision. Surely there has to be some group of consensus on this issue....? Marathons...?

Check the ply rating of the currect tires. If they are load range "C" which is 6 ply, you must not increase that to a "D" rating.

As per all wheel manufacturers, you will split the wheels if you change to a higher rating tire, if the original wheel has been in service for a period of time.

The Goodyear "Marathon" is the proper tire.

The biggest reason it that the composition of the rubber that is used in that tire, is very different from most other tires.

Knowing that it is for travel trailer service, Goodyear altered the rubber formula, so as to reject far more UV than a standard tire.

The common fact is that most RV tires die from old age and sun exposure, and not from miles.

Accordingly then, the Marathons will last much longer than standard rubber tires, when exposed to the sun.

Bottom line. Better deal for you.

That is one of the main reasons Airstream has used them for so many years.

Andy
Old 09-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Thought this was a pretty simple decision. Surely there has to be some group of consensus on this issue....?
Shirley, you jest
Old 09-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Yes - CLEARLY SO...
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #204
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
Shirley, you jest
No, he was serious...and don't call him Shirley!...
The consensus is, use what works best for you. Most of us would like the best we can afford, special circumstances notwithstanding.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #205
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Actually for the first time since joining the Forum - I wasn't being serious. Over 200 posts about what tires to use is confusing even to a seasoned camper in my opinion. Agree with Overlander63 go with what works for you.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #206
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Brand and type (ST vs LT) I am going to leave to the rest of the forum to discuss. For it is my opinion those factors will have some minor impact on result.

The major impacts are:
1) How old are the tires? There is a date code on the side wall. Tires older than 5 years should be highly suspect.
2) Are there any cracks in the tread or side walls? If yes this is an indication that the tires are almost done.
3) Any bulges, cuts or damage to the tires? If so be very very wary of them.
4) Are they correct for the load? You first need to know what the load is. So I would suggest you run your new baby across the scales in vacation or full towing trim. Divide that # by the # of tires and multiply by 110%. That # is the min load rating you want for your tires. If your current tires are not at that number or higher, say good bye to them. And keep your tires inflated to max cold PSI at all times. That is what the rating on the tire is about.

If the current tires get past all of those items, run them untill you have issues with #1 above. Also notice I didn't mention anything about tread. Wearing out the tire from a tread aspect is usually a full timer concern only. The rest of us will replace tires way before the tread is gone.

OH BTW, If you live where there is sun, cover the tires. The UV cooks 'em and will create the side wall cracks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Cannot believe I'm doing this after commenting about over 200 posts about tires for goodness sakes.

Went back to the owners manual for our trailer. Regarding replacement tires: use 7:00x15 if you use 6 ply tires inflate them to 45 PSI and if you use 8 ply tires inflate them to 60 PSI.

That's all there is.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:15 PM   #208
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Ganglin--On Sat I was watching a local fair pony ride, load their six ponies into a trailer, a lot younger than my A/S, with 7:00x15 D tires. Two were Goodyear, and two were Hercules, so I guess I'm not the only one running bias ply tires. They, like me, haven't had any problem with them, and were about to replace them due to tread wear--Frank S
Old 09-21-2006, 12:49 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Ive run hercules on my old 1 1/2 ton 68 GMC stepvan for years ,wore them till they were almost bald ,really till the tread was used up .Never had
any tread separations what so ever ,a rear dually flat from time to time ,a nail
in the tire .I had to run those at 45 psi to get the tread to wear evenly ,and
not in the middle only .I currently run hercules on my 60 trdwnd and have had
excellent service with them .i can say this because I have ran these bias on that old stepvan (tube type split rims) for ten years straight every day 6 days a week in my service business ,that old rig is gone now ,but what a workhorse it was .Definately a good tire .the local tire shop in town sells
hercules for many work trucks and trailers needing a strong bias tire ,tubeless
or split rims if the truck is old .they say the goodyear workhorse is a great
tire also ,so they are out there and still a viable tire to use .

Scott
Old 09-24-2006, 06:21 PM   #210
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires....Tires....Tires

I want to thank every one who has taken the time to file tire failure reports. There are a number of new complaints on the NHTSA web site.
I also notice a Campaign(I don't understand the significance of a campaign but i'm sure time will tell) that references 26000 units affected.
Again Thank all of you who have taken the time to file complaints. You have helped us all.
Keep up the good work.
Beginner