Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Bozeman , MT
Tires ready to blow out! Should Marathon tires be outlawed?

I just took my 2004 Bambi to the tire shop and I can't believe what they found. I am not sure how the tires didn't blow out but they were all deformed with bulges and so on. I only checked my tires for thread (which looked great) and tire pressure, didn't know I had to also check for "mutants". I went on line and read about the Marathon tires and dam, what reviews! How can these tires still be in the market? I looked at previous posts on tires on the forum but I can't find something that addressed my 2004 bambi. Right now I have Goodyear Marathon Radial, Load range C, ST 215/75/R14. Obviously I don't want to risk my life and get an other pair of Marathons. What can I get that will fit my 14 inch rims and the Bambi and not kill me? Oh, and I can't get Maxxis in Bozeman...

Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Your tires are 6, going on 7 years old, and overdue for a change out. Time, heat, under inflation, sun and sitting still degrade trailer tires faster than tread wear. Check your local tire shops for what is available and go with it. All tires are subject to failure at some point.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
You can get any tires you want (I think) at Discount Tires online, w/free shipping. Here is the website...

Home - Discount Tire Direct

If you call the #800 number, ask for Bill @ extension #51816.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Niagara Falls , New York
I just replaced mine with Maxxis 8008 ST tires, same size as yours. I also now cover mine with a white tire cover whenever camper is parked at home to keep them from just baking in the sun. My last tires only lasted 1 season & about 1500 miles. They were an off brand China made tire.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Odd, I've had really good luck with the Marathons that came on my 05 Bambi. I even kept them for spares for another trailer. I just replaced them with two US made Marathons. So far, so good. If otherwise, I'll be sure to let everyone know.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I agree w/you SilverR, we put Marathons on ours over 5yrs ago w/no problems. Decided not to test our luck when we were having axle changed so got new Maxxis 8008s. We kept the Marathons for spares tho cause guy changing tires asked why we were changing them out as they looked brand new. We've read here that looks don't tell whole story, but have to admit, they seemed fine.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Bozeman , MT
Thanks for all the good info! I ended up going with discount tire and buying some Maxxis. Let's see how it goes... Discount tire seems like the place to buy tires! I wish I would have know before I bought my expensive tires for my van.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Take care of your new tires and you may have less issues in 2015. Keep them filled and before you travel ALWAYS air them up. When not moving cover them. Stay away from road hazards as best as possible.

Action
Old 08-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchesi View Post
I just took my 2004 Bambi to the tire shop and I can't believe what they found. I am not sure how the tires didn't blow out but they were all deformed with bulges and so on. I only checked my tires for thread (which looked great) and tire pressure, didn't know I had to also check for "mutants". I went on line and read about the Marathon tires and dam, what reviews! How can these tires still be in the market? I looked at previous posts on tires on the forum but I can't find something that addressed my 2004 bambi. Right now I have Goodyear Marathon Radial, Load range C, ST 215/75/R14. Obviously I don't want to risk my life and get an other pair of Marathons. What can I get that will fit my 14 inch rims and the Bambi and not kill me? Oh, and I can't get Maxxis in Bozeman...
Quote:
Thanks for all the good info! I ended up going with discount tire and buying some Maxxis. Let's see how it goes... Discount tire seems like the place to buy tires! I wish I would have know before I bought my expensive tires for my van.
There should be a "builder's plate", aka capacity sheet, inside a door in your trailer. I think your trailer should have D load rated tires on it, you may want to check, since underrated/overloaded tires could have contributed to your initial tire trouble.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
I keep putting Marathons on my trailer for one reason. I can get them replaced almost anywhere. I am on my third or forth set. I lost count.
The original set was made in Canada. The rest made in China. I have had one problem. One of my tires had a bulge hiding on the inside. I swapped it out for the spare. Then in Denver a police officer hit me and the trailer. I am positive the tire would have failed in the accident and I would have lost control of the trailer and truck. I check the trailer tires regularly.

If you want to go non Goodyear try the Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Good thread. I am just about to replace my Marathon tires that I have seriously put threw the ringer.
Knew I could count on Airforum members!

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Boulder , Colorado
hey Marchesi, I too have a CCD 16' Bambi and mines a 2007, just got rid of my Marathons and bought a set of Maxxis 8008s from discount tires, Load range C, ST 215/75/R14. They should be here by the end of the week. From my research, it looks like Load Range C is all we need, my Bambi is about 3500lbs fully loaded. Good luck with yours and let me know how it goes, its especially great to hear from other CCD 16' Bambi streamers.
max
Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
I just ordered another 5 marathons (replacing the spare as well), mine did me so well in the past. Made sure they are made in America!

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks

I owe all of the posters here a big thank you. Reading about the poor performance of the Marathons prompted me to replace the ones on my 2006 28' SE. Put on a set of Maxxis today.

Here comes the reason for the "Thanks". The tech removing the old Goodyears showed me the tread seperation in the tread area of one of the tires that woudl surely have resulted in a flat before too many more miles. Really feel like I dodged a bullet on that one. Thanks for keeping everyone informed.

Corky