Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Tires good or bad?

2 years and approx 6000 miles ago I replaced the bias ply 7.00 X 15 to ST225 75 R15 Denman tires. A couple of weeks ago I was headed out camping and as I was checking the air pressure in the tires I noticed that the right front tire had cracking around the bead area of the tire next to the rim. The cracking is about 1/8 of an inch deep in some places. There are no other cracks on the tire like you would normaly see from weather cracking.
The left front one is starting to do it also. I took off the right front one went to the local tire shop. Had it dismounted and let them check it. The said they had never seen that before and it was probably just weather cracking and it would be ok. I dont buy the weather cracking only at the bead area right next to the rim. I dont know how safe it is. The tires were manufactured in May of 2002. Anytime I am pulling it the tires are always inflated to the max psi on the side of the tire which is 65 psi these are load range D tires. The last thing I was wondering is that when I had the tires put on. I noticed that the rims are not a conventional type. When I say that I mean the rim edge different to say a regular auto rim. When the shop balanced them they had to stick the weights on the inner diameter as the regular tire weights would not work on the rim edge. I am wondering if this rims bead area radius is too sharp and its stressing the tire at the bead area. Also these are aluminum wheels.
Any insight would be appreciated.
72 Excella500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Excella500
2 years and approx 6000 miles ago I replaced the bias ply 7.00 X 15 to ST225 75 R15 Denman tires. A couple of weeks ago I was headed out camping and as I was checking the air pressure in the tires I noticed that the right front tire had cracking around the bead area of the tire next to the rim. The cracking is about 1/8 of an inch deep in some places. There are no other cracks on the tire like you would normaly see from weather cracking.
The left front one is starting to do it also. I took off the right front one went to the local tire shop. Had it dismounted and let them check it. The said they had never seen that before and it was probably just weather cracking and it would be ok. I dont buy the weather cracking only at the bead area right next to the rim. I dont know how safe it is. The tires were manufactured in May of 2002. Anytime I am pulling it the tires are always inflated to the max psi on the side of the tire which is 65 psi these are load range D tires. The last thing I was wondering is that when I had the tires put on. I noticed that the rims are not a conventional type. When I say that I mean the rim edge different to say a regular auto rim. When the shop balanced them they had to stick the weights on the inner diameter as the regular tire weights would not work on the rim edge. I am wondering if this rims bead area radius is too sharp and its stressing the tire at the bead area. Also these are aluminum wheels.
Any insight would be appreciated.
I will try to answer your questions in order:
I have seen this cracking before, usually because the tire was overinflated, or used non-radial approved wheels with radial tires. Radial tires have a rounder cross-section than bias tires, which have straighter sidewalls.
Weather checking, also known as dry rot, shows up most often further toward the tread of the tire. Excess heat can also contribute to a tire deteriorating near the rim, but you would probably notice this as dragging brakes, and smoke coming from the hub area.
Something to think about, have you checked to make sure your rims are capable of having the 65psi pressure? Most rims have a maximun weight and tire pressure stamped on them.
As for the wieghts, putting them all on the same side will cause a counterbalance, and can actually cause more vibration than if you hadn't balanced them at all. Special weights are available for these rims, and even if they can't get them, there are always the old fashioned tape-a-weights.
I think it would be a good idea to replace your tires with a good name brand, first-line tires are usually made in a foreign country with minimal quality control. Most folks here prefer Goodyear Marathons, they are a quality tire, with nationwide availability and waranty coverage.
One more thing to check, make sure your rim is 6" wide, if it is too narrow it can cause problems like this.
Terry
Old 06-09-2004, 08:09 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for responding. The tire weights are the stick on kind. I didnt find anything on the wheels that say anything about pressure or weight capacity. One odd thing I did see when I had the tires replaced was the one rim said INDY in the middle. I am leaning to what you said about the radial tires on rims that were originaly designed for bias ply tires.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
So is it safe to say that if the "original rims" are from a bias-ply time, then they need to be replaced when you go to new radial tires??
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:42 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
So is it safe to say that if the "original rims" are from a bias-ply time, then they need to be replaced when you go to new radial tires??
Not necessarily. Most rims that are not for radial use will say so in a stamping on the rim. The exception to this is, of course, some aluminum wheels made before the early '70's. Which, of course, is where the two of you are at with your wheels.
Very nice looking silver painted steel wheels can be had for your coach for well under $100.00 each, probably more on the lines of being able to buy 4 steel wheels for the price of one and a half aluminum wheels. Chrome lug bolts and center cap would complete the ensemble very inexpensively.
Tedd, as long as your tires hold air now, I would wait until you are almost ready to put it on the road before investing in tires (and wheels), because the clock starts ticking the day you get them. 5-7 years will pass faster than you realize, and it is not something that buying now will save in the future.
Terry
Old 06-10-2004, 07:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Terry,
I'm in no hurry to get the rims and tires replaced. That will wait till the shell is back on the repaired frame. I think that black rims with the chrome hub caps will look good.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:30 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

I think I will replace my wheels. Can anybody tell me anything that I should know other than I need to get wheels rated at 2600 pounds and use load range D tires. Are the wheels supposed to have any kind of offset?
Old 06-11-2004, 09:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rims have not been used for over 30 years.

That term, however wrong, come from the days of the "split rim wheels."

By definition, the "rim" is the outer part of a wheel, which of course has no use to an Airstream owner.

Lets get the newbies on the right road instead of perpetuation a misnomer, by todays standards.

The correct wheel is 15" X 6" with 6 holes on a 5 1/2 inch bolt circle, zero inset, with a rating of 2600 pounds.

Junk yard wheels are a "disaster" in the making. A "spare" is supposed to be a "for sure" and not a "maybe."

Safety, safety. It can "never" be said enough. Lack of it, creates liability, which keeps attorneys and courts, very very busy.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Andy, what about the "radial vs. bias-ply" question? Is it ok to put radials on my original 2600# rated 15"x6" wheels?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Chuck.

As they say in Hawaii, "cousin, it's OK."

Andy
Old 06-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Chuck.

As they say in Hawaii, "cousin, it's OK."

Andy

Great! thanks!

now, one step further: would it be preferrable to use one over the other?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Chuck.

Radials are far safer and have less problems.

I have to go with Airstreams choice.

Since they switched to radial tires, the tire problem has been greatly reduced.

Also, regardless of the type tire, proper running gear balance always insures a softer ride for the trailer as well as tire longevity.

Andy
Old 06-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Rims have not been used for over 30 years.

That term, however wrong, come from the days of the "split rim wheels."
Andy
Thanks for the correction, Andy. My using "rims" is from when I started doing this stuff, over 30 years ago. Old habits (and terms) die slowly.
Terry
Old 06-12-2004, 03:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Argosy20.

I know, but our new generation has no idea what we older folks are saying.

Just like we don't understand, "you know what I'm saying," or, "you know what I mean." Whatever!!

Maybe we should call the new generation language "English 2."

Andy
Old 06-12-2004, 03:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Argosy20.

I know, but our new generation has no idea what we older folks are saying.

Andy
One thing our older generation is good at is learning. Today, I also learned that 'rims' is the incorrect terminology. Out with the old, in with the new.

I always thought that a 'wheel' was a rim, with tire mounted; a complete and functional assembly.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote