Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #15
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
Is there a tire that comes close to being ideal? One that would support at least 30% greater load than an AS rating, hold air for a long time, have low cord shear (single steel cord?) and work on 15" wheels....
I am looking for the same info. I plan to put tires on my 25 ft Excella in the next couple of weeks.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
This sounds hopeful:

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/arti...-capacity.aspx

Old 06-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #17
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Well, the Carlisle Radial RH was on my short list even before reading that article.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Interesting - apparently even in the Greenball 22575r15 the speed rating is L or 75 mph which would allow someone to regularly keep it sub 65 but occasionally pass at 75 if needed without worry (well - that's not completely true :-).

Very interesting!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Be careful with the new all steel tires comming to the market.

I'm not saying they may not work but when doing some research I discovered that the people you may talk to at the retail level do not know a lot about tires and certainly not much about RV application.

Many low cost tire distributors seem to have order takers answering the phones.

Info on web sits may be incomplete or even incorrect such as mixing LT tire info with ST tire info simply because the tire measurements were similar.

Load Range vs Ply Rating info may or may not be correct.

You may need to know more about tires than the salesman does.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have more than one tire engineer coming on the forum and they give good information; however they contribute science to the selection of tires for our Airstream rather than personal experience (generally speaking).

We have a great deal of personal experience available on this forum with tires and Airstreams. Collectively it is meaningful to me. There is even a poll of Airstreamers' tire failures relative to brand and size. We have the experience of at least one dealer who has been in business selling and servicing Airstreams for 40 years, who has made suggestions on tire selection, pressures and use.

Genuine experience from a large group is meaningful. Not the fellow who reports 40,000 miles on his GYMs and still going strong, but the volume of fellows who report repeated failures of their GYMs.

And the volume of fellows who report switching to 16" Michelin LTX M/S and none ever having a failure. In spite of the warnings about interply shear from sidewall scrubbing (I'm not a scientist, please excuse the crude terms), lowered pressures, overspeed, overweight, and so forth from the tire engineers.

It is useful to consider the entire body of information on this forum when choosing tires for your Airstream, what pressure to use, and how to use them when installed.

When analyzed in this way, the "default" tire for our Airstream is quite clear to me; the same one Airstream now puts on it's premium trailer.
It's fine to choose the collective thoughts as long as you understand that even the majority can be wrong.

RE the Poll on tire failures. Too many confuse failure with proof of a defect and certainly many don't seem to differentiate correlation with causation.
I have previously pointed out that according to the posts on this blog, RV trailers built by workers living in the area where the ZIP code starts with 45xxx have a very high percentage of problems so the workers must be bad at their job so you shouldn't buy the RV brand they build.

See the problem?

I suggest you read this post and this one about the quality of the information in the poll.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
And sometimes we have to understand the majority can be right.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Or just misinformed by a few persistent posters on one side of the issue or another.i think we should rehash this again. I've got my work done for the day and enjoy keeping score. It's a tie so far. Someone had to say it. Does this is make me a troll? Hope not, I'm enjoying the postings.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
In my application, the GYMs I took off were rated for 2540# each, a total of 10,160#. GVWR of my 2001 Safari 25 is 6300# and CAT weights showed less than that. Take off 800# for tongue weight (not carried by the tires) and that leaves 5500# on 10160# capacity. I inflate my Michelins to 75psi which gives me the same load carrying capacity as the original tires and 85% margin on carrying capacity. I'm not anticipating any problems.

And thanks to Tireman for sharing so much useful data on here and his blog.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey

Are these considered to represent the low end of the load scale for a commercial truck tire rather than being on the high end of the load scale for a large car tire? And, is there a reputable maker of this "class" for a 15"?
Old 07-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Golden , Colorado
We, too, are looking for new tires but I have seen to stay far away from any China-made tires. The Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST225/75R15 has good reviews online but are definitely made in China. Any thoughts from the other side?

I'm restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again. -Anais Nin
tifspiff9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
Is there a tire that comes close to being ideal? One that would support at least 30% greater load than an AS rating, hold air for a long time, have low cord shear (single steel cord?) and work on 15" wheels....
Let me know when you find that tire. maybe it will also fit on an "ideal car" that is as fast as a Corvette, Has the load capacity of a 1 ton dually and the fuel economy of a Honda CR-Z (38 mpg).

++++
OK reality here
The load rating is AS decision as they are the ones responsible for selecting tires and suggesting the air pressure which dictates the load capacity. There are lots of tires that can carry 30% more than current AS loads. The problem is they are larger and cost more than AS or you want to pay.
RE holding air Today most tires designed for application on cars have air retention spec of 2% per month or less with many at 1% per month so is this too much loss for you? How much would you be willing to pay for say 0.5% loss rate? I don't hear a lot of complaints on the 1% to 2% rate.

Interply shear is based on science. You could lower this force by designing trailers with passive axle steering similar to what is on many busses, dump trucks and even on RVs. (See the Freightliner Ultrasteer tag axle)

Not sure what you mean by "single steel cord". Cord by definition is a multi strand configuration which is needed if you want bending. If you were thinking of making the belts of a series of steel rods you would have other problems as rods don't bend. ( another of those pesky science things)
Old 07-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifspiff9 View Post
We, too, are looking for new tires but I have seen to stay far away from any China-made tires. The Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST225/75R15 has good reviews online but are definitely made in China. Any thoughts from the other side?

I know Goodyear makes some all steel "commercial" tires, so does Bridgestone. You just have to be willing to pay for the extra material in the tire and extra cost associated with making the tire here in the USA.

Now if you want a small size like 225/75R15 with 110 psi capability you will also need to buy some new wheels.

Of course all we need to do is have a vote and if the majority wins then the strength of high carbon steel is no longer 90,000 psi but maybe it will be 180,000 psi.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:29 AM   #28
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Let me know when you find that tire. maybe it will also fit on an "ideal car" that is as fast as a Corvette, Has the load capacity of a 1 ton dually...
How about putting it this way. What would you suggest in a 15" tire on stock rims for a 8800# gvwr trailer? Serious question. My exact trailer spec.