Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I couldn't find the thread (but thanks Action for the note above) so I called Michelin. The P in that position (P235...) designates this as a Passenger tire. The LTX M/S2 is literally the NAME of the tire. While M/S is meant to tell you you can drive it in mud and snow, the LTX means nothing. Pure marketing. It is not a light truck (LT) classification and does not modify the P (Passenger) rating on the tire.
If I read you correctly I should ignore all information stamped on the tire and contact the manufacturer for interpretation. Also the performance stats they publish like the T-108 rating, right?

So they stamp the big LTX on the tire and it means nothing but they stamp a "P" on there and it means something, how clever.
I don't know of too many cars running around with 20" wheels
and 4,100 LBS rear axle capacity like my F-150. At 44 PSI the tire is rated for 2,400 LBS stamped right on the tire. But I guess it all means nothing so better not hook up my AS behind my truck since the P rated tires might disintegrate under the load.

Happy to report that it must be all a big joke since I run these tires on my TV and my AS and after 20,000 miles of running them whenever conditions allow at 70 MPH, all over the country they still look like new and the ride is just awesome.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
If I read you correctly I should ignore all information stamped on the tire and contact the manufacturer for interpretation. Also the performance stats they publish like the T-108 rating, right?

So they stamp the big LTX on the tire and it means nothing but they stamp a "P" on there and it means something, how clever.

I don't know of too many cars running around with 20" wheels

and 4,100 LBS rear axle capacity like my F-150. At 44 PSI the tire is rated for 2,400 LBS stamped right on the tire. But I guess it all means nothing so better not hook up my AS behind my truck since the P rated tires might disintegrate under the load.

Happy to report that it must be all a big joke since I run these tires on my TV and my AS and after 20,000 miles of running them whenever conditions allow at 70 MPH, all over the country they still look like new and the ride is just awesome.

No - I'm sorry, Frank, you aren't reading me correctly at all. Please see the post just before yours that I'm replying to now. I think capriracer (one of the tire engineers I mentioned earlier) provides a perfect explanation of what I'm saying - perhaps in a way you'll find less offensive, more effective, or more authoritative.

For whatever it's worth - many trucks use P rated tires and no doubt the placard on your door tells you how much load and PSI you are working with.

I won't repeat what I've said earlier in this string but would certainly encourage you to re-read it and the other posts and see if it comes together a little better for you.

Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote