Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Tires and TPMS choices

So, looking for some direction now on tires and TPMS.
For tires, with 15" wheels, seems like lots of folks are holding out that the new GYE's are a good choice. Since Michelins don't offer a LT in that size now, and the GYE's are much less expensive, wondering out loud if that is worth the risk or should I upgrade wheels to 16 and stay with Michelins?

On the comments about internal installed TPMS vs external, what is the recommended solution/brand?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have GYEs but only about 1500 miles on them so no useful data. My TPMS is a dead simple, external system called a Pressure Pro. You do need metal valve stems. There are lots of reliable systems, just do a search.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
How much weight is going to be on your tires?
Old 04-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
We are having GYE tires put on the Airstream tomorrow. From what I gather by reading other posts people seem to be having a good experience with them. I have to tell you I have pulled our trailer for 40,000+ miles on two sets of GYMs and never had an issue. I guess I was just lucky because there was obvious problems. I just wasn't aware of the issues. But we do store our trailer indoors and I'm very religious about checking the air pressure and travel around 65 mph (actually 67 was my preferred speed) on the road. I hope we have good luck with the GYEs as well.

Regarding the TPMS I have the EEZTire Pressure Monitoring System, which I will have to adjust with the new tires, but have had excellent luck with that system and would highly recommend it. I purchased the "security" version, but I think I will take off that portion as I really don't think people will steal the monitors. (I no sooner say that and they will "walk away".)
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We installed the Dill 1506-453 TPMS on both trailers. Purchased from and installed by a local Discount Tire along with 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires mounted on 16" SenDel T03-66655T wheels on our 2014 31' Classic and 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires mounted on 15" SenDel T03-56545T wheels on our 2015 23D International Serenity.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm doing a grand experiment.
I bought two different styles of metal valve stems, Dill TR-416, and Dill 902-W. When I get the wheels off, I'll know. Then I've ordered a "Beadbreaker 450" and decided to install the valve stems myself. I hope I don't regret it, but if I break the bead near the valve stem, cut out the rubber stem, I should be able to install the new metal stem and re-inflate the tire without a visit to the tire store.

Adding the TPMS should then be a piece of cake.
I'm leaning towards the TST 507 external with color monitor.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm doing a grand experiment.
I bought two different styles of metal valve stems, Dill TR-416, and Dill 902-W. When I get the wheels off, I'll know. Then I've ordered a "Beadbreaker 450" and decided to install the valve stems myself. I hope I don't regret it, but if I break the bead near the valve stem, cut out the rubber stem, I should be able to install the new metal stem and re-inflate the tire without a visit to the tire store.

Adding the TPMS should then be a piece of cake.
I'm leaning towards the TST 507 external with color monitor.
Wow, your a brave man! Since I will be getting new tires, I will let the dealer install for free....just not sure which TPMS to get; internal or external...

For tires, I was told Michelin does not offer the Light Truck tires in 15" anymore so that's the delema also...do I get the GYE's and save some money or do I go up to the 16" wheels/Michelins...decisions....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 04-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I went with these.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Old 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Tires

Installed Goodyear Endurance last year. Pulled the AS from central NY to south Florida, a few trips across Florida and returned back to central NY. The tires worked great. I have the TST 507 monitors and love them.
Unless you have a tire machine I probably wouldn’t attempt to break the beads to change the valve stems. If this is done at a tire store they will dismount the tires and clean the beads to insure they won’t leak. With the monitors installed have the tires balanced at the same tire store. My opinion.
Good luck.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Wow, your a brave man!
Brave, yes; smart? We'll see.
I've been to a number of tire dealers in my city and haven't been too impressed. I was very impressed at Discount Tire, where I sourced some valve stems, but the nearest Discount tire is 40 miles away. Clean, nice folks working there. I couldn't believe a city the size of Tampa doesn't have one.
Plus, if I do it myself I won't have to leave the trailer up on jack stands while I take the tires to a dealer and hope he doesn't mess up something.
I watched a lot of videos on bead breakers, I don't need to unmount the tire, just stick my hand inside. The one I purchased is pretty compact and I figured I'd add it to the tool kit if I ever had to do it again.
I've never been shy about thinking I can do as well as a guy working in a tire shop. I hope I'm right.
I can always go back to tire stores if I decide I need pro equipment.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I've been to a number of tire dealers in my city and haven't been too impressed. I was very impressed at Discount Tire, where I sourced some valve stems, but the nearest Discount tire is 40 miles away. Clean, nice folks working there. I couldn't believe a city the size of Tampa doesn't have one.
Plus, if I do it myself I won't have to leave the trailer up on jack stands while I take the tires to a dealer and hope he doesn't mess up something.
I watched a lot of videos on bead breakers, I don't need to unmount the tire, just stick my hand inside. The one I purchased is pretty compact and I figured I'd add it to the tool kit if I ever had to do it again.
I've never been shy about thinking I can do as well as a guy working in a tire shop. I hope I'm right.
I can always go back to tire stores if I decide I need pro equipment.
Wow; your a brave man! (still!) If I were there, I would look for a Good year dealer or even a Walmart that has a tire center. (Sears?) My AS dealer here yesterday said they use Walmart to install tires and monitors for customers. May be worth the call...by the way, 40 miles is a road trip...lunch, beer, and their done!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
I was very impressed at Discount Tire, where I sourced some valve stems, but the nearest Discount tire is 40 miles away.
Whichever one you use, watch them like a hawk. A couple of years ago, when I switched to 16" Sendels and Michelin tires, I used America's Tire (which is same company as Discount Tire in California). I was very specific with the service writer regarding where to jack the trailer, and offered to point out the appropriate spots to the technician.

By the time I finished talking to the writer, I walked outside and saw that the trailer was already up in the air on floor jacks, placed on the axles. Grrr. I had them lower it and move the jacks to the axle mounting flange at the frame.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Here is a recent thread on ALT tire options...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...-179905-2.html

My post #27..

we just returned from a 7500 mile trip to Nashville, etc and back and they were great. Had the GYE's installed a week before departure. Finally worked thru the speed rating issue and margin as suggested by tireman9 (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...sa-157249.html) and kept speed to 65 with occasional bursts to pass.

As noted in the #27 post I had settled on the Nokians as IMO a great good LT tire alternative but at the last minute, switched to the GYE's due to good reports, but also not having to wrangle with the spare holder mods as the Nokians are a slightly larger diameter tire for my FC20 requirements.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
..by the way, 40 miles is a road trip...lunch, beer, and their done!
I'll keep that as plan B. I'd have to do it twice because I'm not towing the trailer there and I'd remove two wheels at a time. My experience with tire shops is they think you're an idiot and they want to knock it out as fast as possible. I hate being the bad guy, but I can. "Let's do it my way."
Thus jacks under the axle and over tightening the metal stem to failure.
Heck, the last time I got car tires, I could't even get them to replace the valve caps, let alone think about service.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We installed the 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires on both our 2013 25FB International Serenity and our current 2015 23D International Serenity. We carry 44 psi.

This and the "Defender" model successor have to have the sidewall rating derated 10% for tailer use. This tires sidewall numbers are 2,183 pounds @ 50 psi so is derated to 1,985 pounds. The new Defender series has a sidewall rating of 2,271 pounds @ 50 psi so would be derated to 2,065 pounds.

The 25/26/27/28 Airstream trailers have 3,500 pound rated axles. So, the tire load margins are adequate on the surface considering the 7,300 or 7,600 pound GVW ratings of the trailers. But the Airstream literature tongue weight ranging from 835 to 903 pounds is deducted from the GVW to ascertain the axle loads. Thus increasing the safety load margin for the tires.

Our 23D numbers are

Tongue………928
Front….1,280……1,246 - total front axle 2,526
Rear…..1,376……1,233 - total rear axle 2,609
Total Axles………5,135
Total Trailer….6,063

So we have a more than adequate load margin. Andy Thompson at CanAm in London Ontario has installed thousands of these 15" Michelin tires on Airstreams for many years with great customer satisfaction.

Since the revelation of the Goodyear coverup of poorly designed RV tires that caused multiple deaths, I personally will never purchase another GoodYear tire for even a wheel barrow.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote