Old 08-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #71
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
they are constructed specifically as a trailer tire and have design and material characteristics that LT and other "drive" tires do not have.

Because they are marketed as such -- and supposedly have certain "trailer advantage" characteristics -- one would tend to think this. However, it appears as if in fact that "ST tires" are a way of utilizing obsolete machinery & practices to squeeze a few more dollars out.

Years ago there were no ST tires, we all ran LT tires. It would appear, again, to be the best choice.

After all, there will be no fatalities in regards trailer tires as there would with tires rated to be mounted on passenger-carrying vehicles. ST tires may be okay for an open trailer used to haul construction materials. But that is about it.

And the price of repairs for a serious blowout? North of $5,000, easily.

The price differential between ST and best quality LT is low. Tiny, by comparison to the repair number possibility.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #72
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Va. Beach , Virginia
Ken - that catastrophic comment was tongue in cheek...I'll keep a close eye on the tires and replace them as soon as something looks amiss. I've read some of the tire blowout stories and that's something I hope I never have to deal with.

Costco doesn't show Greenball online but my local store had a couple in stock and said no problem ordering more. Sam's Club shows them online too, other than that it's kind of hit and miss finding them.

Mark

Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #73
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffmc View Post
Ken - that catastrophic comment was tongue in cheekMark
Sorry, that's not possible.

I always get a joke..

Ken.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Just got back home with an 05 22 ft Safari , when I picked it up way up there near Lake Michigan last week 2 of the junk 215/75R14 GYM were falling apart in the sellers driveway. He had put 2 new ones on the other side last year. I put the spare on the back axle then SLOWLY drove over to Rockford Ill. to a Discount tire store. Bought 2 carlisles , mounted one in front of the spare and put the other in the back of my truck just in case it was needed on the way home to Bastrop Tx. "had a generator , compressor and tire tools in the truck" made it home without further problems and took the two new Carlisles to the Discount tire here at home and they took them back and I got 4 new 8 ply rated 700/15 bias ply Carlisles that they now call st205/90D/15 . put them on some allow wheels from my stack of stuff and hope that will be the last tire purchase that I will ever make for the 05 Safari. It stays in a barn with no windows except when traveling, and will never have to fret over when some junky radial tire is going to explode and rip the campers guts out ! it will allso give the AS better ground clearance. they list those new 8ply 700/15s at $96 bucks each. and yes they are tubeless. a radial will never be able to age as gracefully as a nylon bias. I ran across an old Firestone 500 gum dipped 4 ply tire mounted on an old airstream wheel a couple of years ago in Austin , " some one had put it out for trash " That old tire was probably made back in the sixties and had been in someones dark shed for decades ! It still holds air tubeless and I am running it on an old trailer of mine ! Try that with a 45 year old radial !!!
Thanks for looking !
Dan
PS the load rating for the 8 ply nylon carlisles is 2600 pounds at 65 PSI
Old 08-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We averted a disaster with our 8 yo GYMs. Prior to our short trip this weekend I did a regular tire inspection and pressure check. One of the tires was bulging and had a small chunk out of the tread. I put the 8 yo never used spare on and we went 75 miles. I will be getting new tires this week before our next trip over labor day weekend.

Still pondering what though. I would go to the Michelins in a flash if they would recommend their own tire for this purpose. I know may have had success and I can't find any that have expressed disappointment with the Michelins. Why won't Michelin recommend them for our application?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
It's all about liability I'm sure.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #77
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Here is my .02 I have done a lot of traveling, since I got my drivers license when I was 15 I have put down right around a million miles. That being said when one drives that many miles, a guy goes through a few sets of tires.

On my cars and trucks in high school, I ran BF Goodrich tires, then when I was 22 I started driving truck over the road, the first set of drives I had on the truck I bought were Goodyear's, within 10 months 4 of them had failed. I wound up buying a brand new set of drives for my truck, it just so happened as I was ordering my tires the factory rep from Michelin was at the dealership where I was buying them, he persuaded me to get a set of XDN2's.

Immediately it felt as though I was driving a different truck, It wen't down the road so much better that when it came time to do my trailer I put Michelin's on it as well. Again a noticeable difference.

I get that we are talking 22.5 rubber here on a class 8, but having had such good luck with them on my CMV I started running Michelin's on my personal vehicles as well.

I have had them on several vehicles now, and the one thing I have not had is tire issues.

The soundest piece of advice I can offer is upgrade to a 16" rim and get a set of Michelin's In the last 10 years I have bought over 10,000.00 worth of Michelin tires, I have had no failures, I have had no issues other than tires that were destroyed by running something over. They really are a superior product. I'd spend the money all over again.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitorj View Post
Why won't Michelin recommend them for our application?

What do you suppose would happen to Michelin's trailer tire business if they said, " Our trailer tires are great for you trailer, however our light truck tires are much better".

It would involve a lot of testing and documentation just to replace one line of their tires with another.

Ken
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
As near as I can determine, Michelin does not make ST trailer tires. If they did, I would have tried a pair before switching to 16-inch LT tires.

If Michelin XPS Ribs or BFGoodrich Commercial TAs were available in size 225/75x15, load range E, the bulk of the posts on this site would be on the best boondocking locations, toilet chemicals, WiFi hotspots, or refurbishing tips, instead of on tire failures.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
As near as I can determine, Michelin does not make ST trailer tires. If they did, I would have tried a pair before switching to 16-inch LT tires.

If Michelin XPS Ribs or BFGoodrich Commercial TAs were available in size 225/75x15, load range E, the bulk of the posts on this site would be on the best boondocking locations, toilet chemicals, WiFi hotspots, or refurbishing tips, instead of on tire failures.
Well I think your are right. I kept finding a reference to this. "Michelin trailer tires st205 75r15". However when I follow the links, I end up with that size by another manufacturer or some other tire by Michelin.

Where's Crawfordgene? I want to sue google.

Ken
Old 08-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Approximately 3 weeks ago, I contacted Michelin on their website, stating the present tires and size presently on the Airstream, requesting Michelin's recommendation for replacement tires.

I have not to this date received their recommendation - it seems they do not wish to recommend their tires for travel trailers.

I am leaning toward the LTX 235/75R 15 XL Michelin tires as replacement.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
I called Michelin this morning to ask about using the LTX 235/75R15 XL tires on a trailer. I got the same answer others have received that that tire is not recommended for trailers. I asked why and was told that it doesn't have a stiff enough sidewall. I asked if any failures had been reported to Michelin when they were used on trailers. She wouldn't or didn't know. She did say Michelin has tested the tire for use on trailers and decided to not recommend its use. But I was unable to get any additional info or to speak to someone specifically knowledgeable about those tests.

The good new is they do know there is strong interest in a Michelin trailer tire. She took my name and address and forwarded it to marketing. It sounds like a case is being built to invest in developing an ST tire. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO CALL MICHELIN AND AS THE SAME QUESTIONS. 1-866-866-6605 Perhaps we can influence them to develop a tire.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
But wouldn't they still produce an ST tire? Seems to me that what we want is a 15 inch LT tire with higher load range.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can't go wrong with those tires.

I don't quite understandand about the need for stiffer sidewalls. You hear that mechanical response from 18 year old tire boys who you know don't have much sense. I think the desirement may have some validity for SOB trailers that have a high center of gravity and the stiffer sidewalls provide a little more roll stability. I almost got in a fight with a punk in Sam's club when I bought car tires for my trailer. He said, I won't warrantee them etc etc. I said I don't care put them on the rims. Then I got the "we don't usually balance trailer tires" response. They got balanced anyway. I don't suffer fools very well. If you can't defend your position, then don't say anything.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
Approximately 3 weeks ago, I contacted Michelin on their website, stating the present tires and size presently on the Airstream, requesting Michelin's recommendation for replacement tires.

I have not to this date received their recommendation - it seems they do not wish to recommend their tires for travel trailers.

I am leaning toward the LTX 235/75R 15 XL Michelin tires as replacement.