Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Approximately 3 weeks ago, I contacted Michelin on their website, stating the present tires and size presently on the Airstream, requesting Michelin's recommendation for replacement tires.

I have not to this date received their recommendation - it seems they do not wish to recommend their tires for travel trailers.

I am leaning toward the LTX 235/75R 15 XL Michelin tires as replacement.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
I called Michelin this morning to ask about using the LTX 235/75R15 XL tires on a trailer. I got the same answer others have received that that tire is not recommended for trailers. I asked why and was told that it doesn't have a stiff enough sidewall. I asked if any failures had been reported to Michelin when they were used on trailers. She wouldn't or didn't know. She did say Michelin has tested the tire for use on trailers and decided to not recommend its use. But I was unable to get any additional info or to speak to someone specifically knowledgeable about those tests.

The good new is they do know there is strong interest in a Michelin trailer tire. She took my name and address and forwarded it to marketing. It sounds like a case is being built to invest in developing an ST tire. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO CALL MICHELIN AND AS THE SAME QUESTIONS. 1-866-866-6605 Perhaps we can influence them to develop a tire.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
But wouldn't they still produce an ST tire? Seems to me that what we want is a 15 inch LT tire with higher load range.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can't go wrong with those tires.

I don't quite understandand about the need for stiffer sidewalls. You hear that mechanical response from 18 year old tire boys who you know don't have much sense. I think the desirement may have some validity for SOB trailers that have a high center of gravity and the stiffer sidewalls provide a little more roll stability. I almost got in a fight with a punk in Sam's club when I bought car tires for my trailer. He said, I won't warrantee them etc etc. I said I don't care put them on the rims. Then I got the "we don't usually balance trailer tires" response. They got balanced anyway. I don't suffer fools very well. If you can't defend your position, then don't say anything.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
Approximately 3 weeks ago, I contacted Michelin on their website, stating the present tires and size presently on the Airstream, requesting Michelin's recommendation for replacement tires.

I have not to this date received their recommendation - it seems they do not wish to recommend their tires for travel trailers.

I am leaning toward the LTX 235/75R 15 XL Michelin tires as replacement.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I'm no tire guy, and I'm not an airstream repair guru.... But the little bit that I've seen and experienced with my airstream. The trailer really behaves more like a sedan, and not a camper trailer at all. Lane changes, switchback roads, severe side winds, emergency stops (damn bison on the road), emergency lane changes, passing semi trucks; my AS just tucks down and chases my suburban through it all, like a 31 foot Honda civic.

That being said I guess a tire that is more likely to do all those things to would be a good idea, and not a supper stiff, and fragile "trailer" tire. The wife said to me on the way back from Montana last week, "do those big trucks (tractor trailer rigs) use special trailer tires?". I honestly don't know, I don't drive truck, but it doesn't look like they do, was all I could answer.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #86

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We just got back from a 1300 mile round trip with the new tires. They ran cooler than my old E rated ST tires. No handling issues that I noticed. Watching the tires during pivots when backing in showed no unusual deflection of the sidewalls.

I have no misgivings regarding moving away from ST tires and going with 16 inch wheels. The fact that I am using the exact tires and wheels that are on the Eddie Bauer model Airstream gives me a better level of confidence that what I've done has a certain level of factory support, although I realize that Airstream carries no liability regarding my using the new wheels and tires.

While the rib model tires might be superior to the LTX style, if I stick to a five year life cycle and based on my travel, I think the LTX tires will provide a better value.

Will a Michelan ST tire (assuming they build one) be a superior tire than other ST tires? I'm not so certain. Since we've seen multiple brands of ST tires fail, could the issue be the tire specs related to the ST standard. Is it the fact that some tire dealers tell you that the weight rating of the tires will go down as the tire ages. Combine that with the fact that many of us are not towing light weight trailer. Put the two factors together and you have the classic ingredients for tread/belt separation.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #87
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As to "stiff sidewalls": Yes, they are wanted on a TT. Keep any tire chosen at sidewall maximum stated pressure [cold reading]. The info on Barry's Tire Tech in re cross-referencing ST and LT tires to obtain the closest size/rating match will help in load index questions (no need for 80-psi tires on quite a few A/S trailers).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Why do trailers need stiff sidewalls? It is because of the high center of gravity? Is it to justify the existence of trailer tires? No one has answered this question. Any tire will get stiff at 80psi.

Perry
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Why do trailers need stiff sidewalls? It is because of the high center of gravity? Is it to justify the existence of trailer tires? No one has answered this question. Any tire will get stiff at 80psi.

Perry
Hi, I believe, but could be wrong since I'm not a tire expert, that stiffer sidewalls could help prevent trailer sway. Once a trailer starts to sway a soft sidewall could make it worse to get under control. All I know for sure is that in the eight years that I have owned my trailer, it has only swayed violently out of control once. And that was with it sitting in my driveway during a 5.0 Earth Quake.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #90
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I believe, but could be wrong since I'm not a tire expert, that stiffer sidewalls could help prevent trailer sway. Once a trailer starts to sway a soft sidewall could make it worse to get under control. All I know for sure is that in the eight years that I have owned my trailer, it has only swayed violently out of control once. And that was with it sitting in my driveway during a 5.0 Earth Quake.
You are correct. With a stiffer sidewall the ride of the tire is more firm. This prevents the bouncing action.

Also an added benefit of a stiffer sidewall is they do have less rolling resistance and you will get a little bit better fuel mileage that you may or may not notice.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Just ordered my tires from my small town tire shop. I went with the Michelin LTX M/S 225 75 R16. When All was said and done it cost me $1.16 more overall over Discount tire. Plus I would have to drive 50 miles to Discount tire and back, so it would cost more in the end..

And I like to support my local businesses. I can get any rebalancing done local..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
After doing more research it seems that the ST tires have stiffer walls to help reduce sway. However, If you have a properly hitched and sway control hitch and a low center gravity trailer these sway issues don't apply.

I think radials are going to give the trailer a smoother ride and should have less rolling resistance than bias ply tires. Radials have a larger contact patch with the road and much better traction than bias ply tires. Now would a ST radial have less resistance than a car radial, I don't know?

I think ST tires are designed to carry high loads with high centers of gravity for short distances at low speeds. Airstreams are moderate loads with low centers of gravity that are usually towed at high speeds for long distances much like a car. Airstream owner tend to put more miles on a trailer than your average once or twice a year camper/boater who only goes a few miles from home.

Perry
Old 08-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Wonder how they make the side wall stiffer. Wonder if a d or c rated st tire is the same as an LT e rated tire?

All I Know is; there aren't a bunch of threads about LT tires blowing out, and there are plenty of people using them. If I get a blow out I will start the thread.!

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #94
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The stiff sidewall question has been gone over. The "Revised" thread links to the discussion on RV.net will take one there (for a start).

The reason for stiff sidewall isn't simply trailer transient steering response, but that a trailer is levered into position, and not just while backing, though that is the hardest tire duty. Practically, any time a trailer is turned past a certain point the trailer pivots and this stress tends to want to tear the tire off of the rim. This is why one runs the TT tires at full pressure regardless of load. And, partly why one wishes to have the tire Load Index factor come closest to actual operating conditions (LR-E may seem great, but LR-D may be the best match for the TT).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
New rims came yesterday. At the tire shop, New Michelins come in tomorrow... just ready for the trip.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I have a 62 22' Safari that I would like to put Michlin tires on but the two dealers nearby say they don't have anything that will fit. I currently have 7.00 - 15
ljmaylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
These are going to look so good. Anyone interested in the origin rims ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-204059066.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	469.8 KB
ID:	166985  

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
New rims came yesterday. At the tire shop, New Michelins come in tomorrow... just ready for the trip.
Jason, are the wheels from Airstream factory that come on the EB model? or did you find other rims?
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Jason, are the wheels from Airstream factory that come on the EB model? or did you find other rims?
Not sure what model, but they are AS rims. Bought them from "Lewster" here on the forums.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
No, those are not the Eddie Bauer rims. If you're interested in the Eddie Bauer rims and tires PM me and I'll give you ALL of the info (manufacturer, model #, price, etc.) so that you can source them yourself. I just finished doing all of this research...took some time and a lot of back and forth but I finally have it.
FYI: The 16" Eddie Bauer rims and tires will cost $1575 installed.

I wonder how much Purman's cost? Perhaps his are a better deal.
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote