Old 08-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzah View Post
All that to ask, could turning sharp (a u-turn) tear a chunk out of the tire like that? I ordered another bias ply to match, as there are only 5k miles on the tires.
It's hard to say now, but I've never damaged a tire on a trailer by making a sharp turn, and I doubt if your u-turn caused the damage.

I think it's more likely you hit some sharp object in the road.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
You guys ever look at BF Goodrich's offerings? I just checked on Tire Rack's website and Goodrich has a 235/75 15 that's rated at 2205lbs each, same as the Michelin LTX. Michelin owns Goodrich, for whatever that's worth.... But, I've run Goodrich Comp TAs on performance cars for 20 years. I've had very good luck with them.

BFGoodrich*Long Trail T/A Tour

This is the Load Range XL in the 15". I currently run Maxxis UE168's on my triple axle 34 footer so I've got a bit of extra margin (which I like). But I wouldn't mind putting Goodrich rubber on it when the Maxxis gets a little older. This tire is rated at 2335 pounds load. I've towed my Avion at 80mph in hot weather and had no troubles of any kind. It's a commercial tire and is rated as both LT and ST (it has both stamped on the sidewall).

I really don't want to buy six new 16" wheels if I can help it....
There used to be a pretty big price difference between Goodrich and Michelin, but the last time I looked, not so much any more.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
It's hard to say now, but I've never damaged a tire on a trailer by making a sharp turn, and I doubt if your u-turn caused the damage.
I think it's more likely you hit some sharp object in the road.
Dont underestimate a chinese tire.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I am glad that what ever did that, had the decency to not take the tire totally out. At least the trailer tire is only $100 to replace. The wive seems to think that it's no big deal and wanted to head on home to bothell, wa.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
This has probally been mentioned but why go to the 16" rim to run at 70 mph? is it to keep the tire cooler.

I have Carlisle right now, and today in 104 heat at 69 mph the south tires were running at 114 on the south side of the trailer and the north tires at 109. I also noticed that when I had 61.5 psi in to start the day that tire ran hotter as the psi went up to 64 were the other tires at 60 psi went up to 62.5 and didn't run as hot.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #62
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Guys, why do we keep re-hashing the same thing? There are several threads with very good info already. We make it harder to find any of it by always starting new threads.

----------------------------

Goodrich is the bargain brand of Michelin, as Firestone is the bargain brand of Bridgestone.

There are good choices under all these names, and the occasional traveler (say 5k annually) can be reassured by the high-milers that the "bargain" brands are up to the task. I would stick with LT tires for a trailer.

Realistically, no ST tire is acceptable.

If anyone wants to inform themselves, then the "Revised" trailer tire thread on RV.net features two professional tire engineers in the discussion. You won't want an ST tire ever again if you digest that thread, and have a look at the repair bills shown by boondockdad in a recent thread on this forum.

The difference is a few dollars per tire.

The site linked here has a number of good articles. This article is about ST tires and making the change to a tire appropriate for a travel trailer, not a construction trailer that sits around or carries some cinder blocks and 4x8's . . where a blowout is forgettable.

And you won't know the actual load on your wheels/tires until:

1] On a certified weight scale & measuring individual wheel/tires

2] with weight distribution properly applied

look for a 12-15% load reserve.

A level Airstream ought to show fairly equal loading port-starboard and front-rear. But incorrect hitch rigging (nose high/low), old trailer axles, etc, may cause one side or one axle to be carrying more than it's fair share.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Hmmm... need to get there fast, so let's push the limits of the rig/wheels/tires and not expect something to fail at some point!? Glad you're still with us.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #64
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Browsing through this thread, I noticed a couple references to M/S rated tires. What is the advantage of M/S over highway tread on a trailer?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 08-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
"M/S" is just part of the model name for the Michelin LTX M/S and LTX M/S2. It has nothing to do with the load range, which could be "D" (65 psi max) or "E" (80 psi max). The "M" and "S" stand for mud and snow, which means that the tread pattern is designed to improve traction in bad weather.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I am not a popular voice on this subject but I will let you know my opinion...
I believe that Goodyear has corrected whatever issues plagued their Chinese manufactured Marathons. ...I believe that any tire can fail and in fact our trailer was delivered with a faulty Marathon that I discovered and had replaced.
I do this (auto repair) for a living and believe me it happens.....
I am leaving our Marathons on the trailer!
Bruce
+1; agreed
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
"M/S" is just part of the model name for the Michelin LTX M/S and LTX M/S2. It has nothing to do with the load range, which could be "D" (65 psi max) or "E" (80 psi max). The "M" and "S" stand for mud and snow, which means that the tread pattern is designed to improve traction in bad weather.
Thanks for your complete and patient response. However I was confused about what I really wanted to l know. I was confusing the M/S rating with the AT rating. Probably had to do with the fact that I was up past my bedtime, or perhaps, the number of years I've been on this planet. . I knew that I had Michelin LTX with M/S rating on my Dodge Ram. I was thinking that I wouldn't want that tread pattern on the trailer. I went out this AM and read the sidewalls and realized that those tires are LTX AT2. Now I remember it is the AT2 part not the M/S rating thats designating the aggressive tread pattern that I don't want. So in summary, forget I asked a question and sorry for the distraction.

Ken
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Va. Beach , Virginia
Having been in the "shopping for new tires" mode for the last couple weeks, here is my 2 cents worth...

I have two year old GYM Load D tires and haven't had any issues until I got a nail in one. I took it to a local tire store and they patched it (nail was far enough away from the sidewall) but when they aired it up the sidewall bubbled out. I guess it took some pretty good abuse before I knew it was flat (going down the interstate at 65mph). So I started my indoctrination into finding a replacement and came across the same horrifying GYM posts as everyone else has seen. I started to look for options and the best one I could come up with was the Greenball TowMaster. I bought one to replace my flat and plan on eventually replacing the other three with the same when the time comes. The Greenball had a few negative reviews and a few positive reviews but what really was the deciding factor for me is that this tire is sold at Costco. I know they have certain quality control standards and when they procure a product that has a high return/failure rate they discontinue it. As far as I can tell they have been selling Greenballs for at least 7 years. So maybe that's not the most scientific method of tire selection but oh well, I'll see how it goes. Not to mention the Costco price is well below the best price I could find on a GYM.

In defense of the GYM, it is an extrememly popular tire which probably skews the number of reviews (positive and negative). I also wonder how many of the horror stories are the result of tire neglect/abuse. ST tires are rated at a max speed of 65mph. So for instance, if they are driven at 70 mph for an hour there can be enough heat build up to compromise the tire. Tire blows out and the driver wonders why his GYM tire is so crappy! Responsible drivers check pressures, drive at or below rated mph, etc., etc., but how many people do you think just hop in and go? I think many = high number of bad reviews! Not saying the tire isn't crappy...just that maybe some of the bad reviews are due to operator error!

An other school of thought is to use something other than an ST tire...I don't want to comment on what other people do since I don't have any experience with this. What I can say is that I will stick to the ST tires for now...they are constructed specifically as a trailer tire and have design and material characteristics that LT and other "drive" tires do not have.

Bottom line is I got so scared reading the GYM reviews I wanted to yank the remaining three off and replace them. I've settled down a little bit now and will ride them out for another year or so, or until they catastrophically fail! One thing that is reassuring is driving on three tires was a non-event for me. I didn't even know I had a flat until someone pulled up along side and told me. But I definitely have a new respect for maintaining tire pressure and keeping it at or below 65mph...

BTW, not sure why Michelin doesn't make a ST tire but I wish they did!

Mark
Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
How did you order from Costco? Their web site doesn't recognize Greenball or Goodyear Marathon.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffmc View Post

I've settled down a little bit now and will ride them out for another year or so, or until they catastrophically fail!

Mark
I can't argue with anything you said until I got to the sentence above. I can't argue with that either if you are willing to file a hefty insurance claim. Most catastrophic tire failures on Airstreams cause quite a bit of collateral damage. If you don't mind rolling dice at those odds, then no problem.

Ken